Any good remedies for hay fever?

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #1  

Bluest

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar F14D, DR Wheeled Trimmer
I was thinking that the vast majority of TBN members spend a lot of time outdoors there must be some good effective remedies for hayfever to share. At this time of year I suffer terribly with itchy eyes and nose, sneezing and Asthma. It really takes the appeal out of going outdoors for two months every summer.

The Asthma bit I can deal with, I get some good inhalers off my doctor, but I struggle to find anything that's effective against the itching and sneezing. The off the shelf anti-histamines I can buy in the UK (certrizine and loratidine) have little effect on me, and also make me feel a bit drowsy and "out of it".

I'm interested in anything that might work including "old wives tales" stuff. Someone has suggested to me to eat honey that is produced in my area, which I'll try if I can find any.

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #2  
Wellll. I suffer mightily when I go out and mow, disk, move dirt - anything that would raise dust or pollen. I do not know if I have Asthma or whatever but I take a shower immediately upon completion of any project like indicated above. This will have a tremendous positive affect on watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing etc. I've tried medication and all it does is make me sleepy.

I've also noticed that all these conditions have become worse as I age - I've not found a cure for that yet. As you can see - I still have a sense of humor??? about all of this, so its not become life threatening - yet.

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #3  
i outgrew my allergies it seems. claritin used to work for me. you could also try wearing a mask to block the pollen and dust.

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #4  
Someone has suggested to me to eat honey that is produced in my area, which I'll try if I can find any.

I was told years ago to chew honeycomb. Just spit out the wax when the honey is all gone. As mentioned, local is best.

It works for me.

Good luck, Bill

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #5  
I switch off every season between Allegra and Zyrtec (thank goodness there are generics now!) I found if I took the same thing a couple of years in a row it would stop working as well.

The older generations of medicines even though they work would make me loopy (benadryl, claritin)

I wear disposable masks for mowing, don't like it but it is night and day difference. Goggles too sometimes.

Tear free baby shampoo, keep a bottle for you to use with to clean out and around your eyes in the shower if you get them full of junk. Mine will swell shut if I get into mowing rye grass without goggles.

Good luck

/ Any good remedies for hay fever?
Dust masks are a good suggestion. They work well, use one when mowing. Not really ideal for social gatherings and the like though.

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #7  
I hear a cab on your tractor works pretty well:D. I wear a dusk mask. It helps quite a bit.

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #8  
Do they have Benadryl in the UK?

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #9  
Another vote for a new cab tractor with A/C.:D

That should make you feel better.:dance1:

Bill

/ Any good remedies for hay fever? #10  
We are awfully good at spending other peoples money. We should all work for the government. :)