Advice on new barn construction needed

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I am in the beginning phases of having a 30x60 approx garage/storage building built next to my small horse barn.
Purpose is to get all equipment under roof and heavy implements on dolleys rolling on a nice level concrete floor.
Want to have a large door on one end to drive tractor under and then line implements down one side of building.
So maneuver room needed on right, say, and implements to left.

so far my thoughts were one 12 foot high door, with a 16 foot high building height, one 10 foot high door for mowers, two entry doors, small enclosed office area but no running water or toilet. (long story, would require an entire new septic system)
I have water nearby in the barn and I sure can go ahem in the woods.

Want to work on tractors, lawn equipment, cars, truck, etc inside plus have a dedicated corner with a large exhaust fan where I could do some rattle can or even air spray painting. Might store my small boat there over the winter. Will be a mechanical shop there with air compressor and air tools, but no woodworking. That I do in a dedicated woodshop I have just built in my barn.

So....after all this preliminary info, is there any reason for me to upgrade from a pole barn style building to a commercial grade all steel storage garage based on my use? Both would be red metal outside to match the barn. Very basic, not a guy's fun pad unless I hit the lottery.

My main question is other than lack of spanning arches, what does an all metal building "get me"?
If the pole barn is thirty thousand and the all metal building fifty thousand, yes assuming as close as possible apple to apples,
does this offer value in either the short term or the long term?
I'm honestly thinking spend less and want to make sure I'm not being stupid.

Any input on construction quality, speed of construction, relative cost, would be appreciated.

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #2  
Drew, are you going too section 1 part of shed off to have as a heated garage to work on stuff? This way you do not have to heat the whole building, only you main work area.

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #3  
US$50k for a 30x60 metal, single story 'barn'? I'd shop around a lot more, Mate. Even taking into consideration that the poured cement floor/pad is approximately half the cost, that is an exorbitant price.

Two years ago, my 5-bay shed (one bay, roller doored workshop) with pad and assembled was A$32k. Mind you, I didn't have power run out to it as I just ran a heavy duty extension cord from the house. And I don't have to worry about insulation, heating or snow. But still... that's a lot of money.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 158
   / Advice on new barn construction needed #4  
I just ordered a 40' X 60' X 14' eve red iron building, insulated ceiling, with 2- 12' X 12' , 1- 10' X 12' and walk in doors for under 20 K.
It will be 7 K to assemble and I'm getting bids on concrete (engineered plans) in the 10.5 K range.
I will start a thread with pics when it gets delivered.

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #5  
I am not a fan of all metal for smaller buildings. Hard to finish the insides, and hard to add things like shelves, toolboards, etc. I would only consider one if building a dedicated welding/fab shop

/ Advice on new barn construction needed
thanks for thoughts and numbers. Left out...full insulation, hvac, 100 amp service, full wiring everywhere.
I have seen lots of ads for pole barns for half the numbers I quoted but they never include the "little" stuff, like the concrete pads in front of the doors, electric garage door openers, the list is lengthy.

I'm just starting this and haven't gotten pricing back at all. I used those numbers just for discussion.

what about comparative strength?

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #8  
I am not a fan of all metal for smaller buildings. Hard to finish the insides, and hard to add things like shelves, toolboards, etc. I would only consider one if building a dedicated welding/fab shop

+1

I'm a fan of "lean to" shed's on the side of a larger building for implements. Generally, very cheap cost per sq/ft. and keep's the sun & wet weather off of them and your secure (lockable) building space available for your work area. Also a nice place to stick your air compressor. Wood "post frame" or pole barn type construction would be my choice over an all steel bldg.

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #9  
what about comparative strength?

Either type of construction will have to meet your local codes for snow, wind, etc. required for local (county/town) permiting.

/ Advice on new barn construction needed #10  
I would advise putting in some windows up high so natural light gets in without the fear of vandalism.

ie: transom windows over doors, etc.