to keep people off of my land!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / to keep people off of my land! #1  

jack707

Veteran Member
Tractor
farm trac 555
I have a privet drive that's a 1/4 mile long and I have had driver think this is a county road, so far I had about 5 people drive in so far so I need a few ideas on gates. I have a pipe that's about 10 feet I was going to cut in half fill with concrete and weld 1 link of heavy chain on top and one for the bottom and gig a hole at the beginning of my driveway.

/ to keep people off of my land! #2  
Well you could try a sign at beginning of drive - PRIVATE DRIVE DEAD END

Walt Conner

/ to keep people off of my land! #3  
A guy a couple miles away from here lives at the end of one of those roads that dead ends by the Xway. His drive goes from there back thru the woods to his house out in the woods. He uses a big ' NAILS IN DRIVEWAY ' sign. Don't know if there are any nails, but you could find out if you want to...... :)

/ to keep people off of my land! #4  
Well you could try a sign at beginning of drive - PRIVATE DRIVE DEAD END

Walt Conner

This has worked for friends of mine. A lot of people aren't being rude, they are just looking around and wonder what's back there. The sign seems to keep them out.

/ to keep people off of my land! #5  
Private road. NO EXIT*
* NO survivors either.

/ to keep people off of my land! #6  
Before deer season guys come up our drive now and then looking for places to hunt. There is no sign and the house can't be seen from the road easily. There is a mailbox at the road. Funny thing is they get to the top of the driveway, see the house and leave without asking anything. :confused:

/ to keep people off of my land! #7  
Several yars ago I read a study about the effectiveness of "No Trespassing" sign styles.

A sign that appears governmental was the most effective.

NoTrespassingSign.jpg

Or this:
How Do I Get a No Trespassing Sign For My Property?

Least effective were the cheap generic signs like this.

Private-Property-No-Trespass-Sign-K-11255B15D.gifimgmax=660.gif

Bruce

/ to keep people off of my land! #8  
I've found after living out here for 30+ years - on the far edge of nowhere - that gates and signs only repel those who would give you no trouble anyhow - the honest folks. The ones to be concerned about are coming into your property with bad intentions.

Sooo...... in the beginning, I decided to do this. When somebody drove into my yard after coming thru two gates, both with No Trespassing signs and Private
Driveway signs, and down my mile long gravel driveway - and I didn't recognize them - I would greet them in my yard with a loaded shotgun. You will never know the intentions of a person that would enter into a situation such as this - and perhaps not, even after you have a chance to talk to them.

These would not be the honest folks I spoke of earlier. Word rapidly got around that there was an "old evil dude" that lived down there. I was soon visited by both the State Police and County Sheriff. A meaningful discussion with both revealed that I was well within my rights with this type of greeting. I only had to do this for a year or so and now only neighbors, friends and invited guests dare venture this way.

If you have "uninvited guests" visiting your property - I would definitely develop some type of legal plan that demonstrated your lack of pleasure with their company and have an honest, frank discussion with the local LEO BEFORE putting it into action.

Seems that in these times - the miscreants only respond to a willingness, on your part, to show a display of force. Sad - very sad.

/ to keep people off of my land! #9  
I would greet them in my yard with a loaded shotgun.

Not sure what you mean by "greet" but in some states you'd be in big trouble if you actually pointed (banishing a weapon) the gun at a trespasser. Fine line between what is permitted and what is illegal. Laws vary by state.

/ to keep people off of my land! #10  
In Va showing up with a gun is brandishing a firearm, 6 mounts jail time, point it at them and it is assault, I don't know how long and don't want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.