Do you wax your ladder?

/ Do you wax your ladder? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've only been using aluminum ladders for about 50 years. Never waxed one. Even when I was working as a roofer for about 5 years.
Stumbled across a thread about "ladder lubrication" and next thing I know I'm reading there are standards for waxing ladders.
Some firedepartments are supposed to do it every 3 months or more often.

So the Q's are - do you wax aluminum ladders you have?
Have I somehow been ignorant of a generally accepted practice?
How many full ladder extensions between waxing? Or is a time based thing even if you don't get it up very often?

/ Do you wax your ladder? #2  
First time I have ever heard of waxing a ladder. So nooo. no waxing here.

/ Do you wax your ladder? #3  
Never heard of that. I understand a wooden ladder might need maintenance, but a aluminum ?

/ Do you wax your ladder? #4  
Add me to the list of those ignorant of waxing a ladder. I have a 24 foot aluminum ladder that spends it's life leaning against my garden fence, out in the elements 24/7 that only gets used a few times a year. If I'm lucky, I go all year without using it!!!

/ Do you wax your ladder? #7  
I use silicone and spray the track so the ladder slides easier, but wax on the slides rails must work better if the fire department does it.

/ Do you wax your ladder? #8  
I spent 30 years as a firefighter and yes regular maintenance of ladders is required. Wood ladders obviously need cleaning and inspection but so do aluminum ladders. You must remember that the ladders used by FD's are much heavier than the ladders most homeowners use. As a rule of thumb a 24' ladder is the largest ladder that can be placed by one FF. Usually 2 will place it. A wood 24' ladder weighs about 110 lbs. and an aluminum ladder anywhere between 75 and 140 lbs. Makes sense now to lubricate the glides!

Ladder maintenance requires visual examination of all parts for damage, the dogs or locks must be cleaned, lubed and working freely. The halyard must be checked and the glides cleaned and lubricated. There is also a heat indicator on most FD ladders that changes colors if the ladder was subjected to excessive heat that might weaken the ladder.

Unlike on a jobsite where you could take the time to repair your ladder, a ladder malfunction on an emergency call could be devastating in the loss of life or property. Also let's remember that favorite word of litigators..... liability.

/ Do you wax your ladder? #9  
Fighting fires with a double rung ladder is diffidently a two man job. My aluminum ladder is sure a handful at 24' or so. bought it 30 years ago and it came with 3" rubber wheels at the top to help roll up the wall, worked very good. The top half of the ladder got melted in fire couple years ago, so I lost 2' ft. and had replaced the wheels with double layer oak made with 3" hole saw, couldn't find replacement wheels for ladders. The odd thing thing is for something that works so good, I don't see other ladder's out there that has wheels on top.

/ Do you wax your ladder? #10  
Bikini wax yes
ladder wax no
fire baaaaddd