Jump Footings

/ Jump Footings #1  

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
Hi,

Please see the pictures below of my new foundation.

How should I feel about the Jump Footings pictured there with regard to the short section of unsupported wall? How should I feel about them if I find there's no rebar in there?

Thanks.

Jump-Footings-1.jpg

Jump-Footings-2.jpg

Jump-Footings-3.jpg

Jump-Footings-4.jpg

/ Jump Footings #2  
I would have used re-bar across those transitions just because that is what I do. If the sub-grade compaction factor is equal (>96%) in the footing area and nothing changes that you may luck out. I assume you used at least 4000#, low slump, vibrated concrete all in one continuous pour?

In looking at some old construction I am amazed stuff is still standing well. New subdivisions around here have all kinds of future differential settlement by not letting things get compacted properly and not testing. With the building boom right now the inspectors are overloaded; so DO-DO happens.

Ron

/ Jump Footings #3  
I am a bit confused it seems. I see a 2x6 block on the end of apparently a 2x6 thick pour of concrete. Is there more thats not seen? Is the majority of what's in your picture a stem wall ?

Or did they pour a small 2x6 thick pour of concrete to make things easier to form and then pour more on top and thats the footing ? With stem walls on top of what we see?

Guess the footing could go above grade but i am not use to seeing that.

Yes one would hope there is LOTS of rebar in that step section somewhere or somehow. Very likely to be some cracking and movement at that step change.

/ Jump Footings #4  
How much wall (height) is above the un-supported 'jump'? Unless there is a major bearing point just above it, I wouldn't worry at all. It looks like there is an off-set or an 'inside corner' just to the left of that area and I'd bet that corner would be the/a load point, not over the span.

/ Jump Footings
I am a bit confused it seems. I see a 2x6 block on the end of apparently a 2x6 thick pour of concrete. Is there more thats not seen? Is the majority of what's in your picture a stem wall ?

Or did they pour a small 2x6 thick pour of concrete to make things easier to form and then pour more on top and thats the footing ? With stem walls on top of what we see?

Guess the footing could go above grade but i am not use to seeing that.

Yes one would hope there is LOTS of rebar in that step section somewhere or somehow. Very likely to be some cracking and movement at that step change.

Hi Redlands Okie,

Thanks for your reply.

It's a 2x8. The jump footings are in two places, attached are two more pictures that show almost the whole thing.

At the rear of the garage:
Jump-Footing-5.jpg

At the front of the garage (note the dropped top of wall for the garage floor there, cars will be driving in and out over this one):
Jump-Footing-6.jpg

/ Jump Footings
How much wall (height) is above the un-supported 'jump'? Unless there is a major bearing point just above it, I wouldn't worry at all. It looks like there is an off-set or an 'inside corner' just to the left of that area and I'd bet that corner would be the/a load point, not over the span.

Would the garage floor with vehicle traffic on it count as a bearing point?

Jump-Footing-6.jpg

/ Jump Footings
Also, what do these three areas with a bunch of rocks stuck together with almost no concrete mean?

Rocks-1.jpg

Rocks-2.jpg

Rocks-3.jpg

/ Jump Footings
Can this be fixed? Can I ask them to remove the wood, excavate and pour a wall under it? Will that fix it?

/ Jump Footings
Well, I don't have to wonder whether or not it will be fine, I went out to look at it again tonight and it has already cracked:

Crack-1.jpg

All the way through both sides and top to bottom at exactly the part I was concerned about. New foundation. Forms off yesterday. Cracked today, a bit over 24 hours. That and what I have discovered is called "Concrete Honeycombing" and it's been a fantastic couple days.

/ Jump Footings #10  
Was there a concrete truck that delivered a load of fresh that was well past it's prime?