Movie "Sully"

/ Movie "Sully" #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
I watched the movie "Sully" last night. Not what I was expecting but a very fine movie. I realize it is a movie but I also believe the NTSB was out to get this guy in real life. In all their scenarios they could make the landing at 2 different airports, LaGuardia and Teterboro. In one scenario the pilot had to practice doing it 17 times in a simulator before he made it to Teterboro. In the movie they started the turns back to the airports right after the bird strike. Sully made the point that they took the human factor out of it, decision time. So the NTSB added 30 seconds after the bird strike in the simulators and no pilot could make it to either airport. Anyway, it was a good movie and Sully is definitely a hero as is all of the crew and all the 1st responder's.

/ Movie "Sully" #2  
I watched the movie "Sully" last night. Not what I was expecting but a very fine movie. I realize it is a movie but I also believe the NTSB was out to get this guy in real life. In all their scenarios they could make the landing at 2 different airports, LaGuardia and Teterboro. In one scenario the pilot had to practice doing it 17 times in a simulator before he made it to Teterboro. In the movie they started the turns back to the airports right after the bird strike. Sully made the point that they took the human factor out of it, decision time. So the NTSB added 30 seconds after the bird strike in the simulators and no pilot could make it to either airport. Anyway, it was a good movie and Sully is definitely a hero as is all of the crew and all the 1st responder's.

I too thought it was a good movie, in contrast to the crap coming out of Hollywood of late. I have great admiration for the man, his experience and quick thinking.

/ Movie "Sully" #3  
My Wife's boss was one of the men on that airplane. He was sure impressed with the pilot!!
David from jax

/ Movie "Sully" #4  
Yep. Excellent movie. I think Tom hanks played the part to perfection

/ Movie "Sully" #5  
It used to be that most commercial pilots were ex military pilots just like Sully was, but that is not the case with the younger commercial pilots of today.

The only reason I make this point is that ex military pilots have a much broader experience base of unusual problems to draw from so that when something so out of the ordinary does happen that their reactions are much more logical and relaxed.

/ Movie "Sully" #6  
Even for a dramatic real life event...
The storyline was dramatized to a healthy degree...even Eastwood admitted he "needed a villain"...so it had to be the NTSB...

/ Movie "Sully" #7  
Movie was OK, the event was a miracle!
It was hard to stretch it out into a movie without the drama.
Sully's big edge was he was an Accident Investigator as well as a pilot so he had reviewed other pilots errors.
The amazing fact was that the first thing he did was start the aux generator. In the emergency handbook that was the 15th step. That also gave them an edge.

/ Movie "Sully" #8  
Yup I liked that movie, seems like there's always higher ups that want to nail someone below them or find someone to blame, anybody but the birds.

Another good movie that I can relate to from a working man point of view is Deepwater Horizon, highers up try to nail the people doing the work and make them cut corners on safety, faster faster faster, more more more..........

And there is one movie to avoid and that is Patriots Day, all they say including the Boston Police and Mark Wahlberg is FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, F this and F that all throught the movie, terrible, never watch that again.

/ Movie "Sully" #9  
Yep. Excellent movie. I think Tom hanks played the part to perfection

I agree, great actor like a lot of his movies, "momma always said life is like a box of chocolates"............

/ Movie "Sully" #10  

I saw an interview with Sully about that point. He said it was no big deal - they just covered all the bases for the sake of being thorough, and that was that. Nobody was out to get him. It made for a more dramatic movie.