Movie "Sully"

/ Movie "Sully" #11  
And there is one movie to avoid and that is Patriots Day, all they say including the Boston Police and Mark Wahlberg is FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, F this and F that all throught the movie, terrible, never watch that again.

Every now an then a good movie will be ruined by trying to use the F bomb way more than is realistic. If that is normal in some peoples live I would want no part of them.

I watched Sully and enjoyed it along immensely along with most movies with Tom Hanks in them.

/ Movie "Sully" #12  
As a New Englander, I can assure you that the F-bomb is a part of everyday vernacular - however, it is used no where near as often as that movie would have you believe and certainly NOT in most open conversations. One important BUT to that though...there was a terrorist attack on US soil on innocent civilians so the normal rules of etiquette and decorum can more or less be expected to go out the window.

/ Movie "Sully" #13  
I saw an interview with Sully about that point. He said it was no big deal - they just covered all the bases for the sake of being thorough, and that was that. Nobody was out to get him. It made for a more dramatic movie.

Yes, that was all phony drama for the movie. Which honestly, turned me off to the whole thing.

With that kind of weight, low altitude, low speed, and zero thrust, you are not going anywhere, but back to the ground. Even the bureaucrats at the NTSB know that.

It's a completely different ballgame, when you are actually experiencing a real actual life and death situation, verses a simulation. You have to suppress your natural reactions, and concentrate on the tasks at hand. If you have never been tested with it in real life, you can't know for sure how you will react.

Every good pilot believes they could make that landing if they had too. Even Sullenberger said, he had thought that himself. So far, only one has had the chance to prove it.

/ Movie "Sully" #14  
Great movie, I was surprised the ntsb were after him, nothing in media about that during news coverage. I was disappointed they didn't cover his early childhood flying sailplanes, giving him the real advantage.

/ Movie "Sully" #15  
I was disappointed they didn't cover his early childhood flying sailplanes, giving him the real advantage.

People like to say that, and any flying experience, is experience. But glider skill is not relevant in that case.

He picked his landing spot, and did what he had to do to make it.

Power off landings are not normal procedures in jets. But, it's not all together different. Either way, you have to properly control descent rate, and airspeed to be successful.

Making a normal visual approach, requires the pilot to make the same judgments. They do that everyday.

The water landing was the difficult part of this. If you saw the move, I am sure they discussed that the angle the aircraft touches the water has little margin for error.

/ Movie "Sully" #16  
People like to say that, and any flying experience, is experience. But glider skill is not relevant in that case.

I would have to disagree with your comment. Glider skills focus on "total energy" , knowing how far you can go and how to manage glide slopes to maximize lateral distances. As a glider pilot he had a much better feel for what capabilities he had, compared to many motorcraft pilots.

paul

/ Movie "Sully" #17  
I would have to disagree with your comment. Glider skills focus on "total energy" , knowing how far you can go and how to manage glide slopes to maximize lateral distances. As a glider pilot he had a much better feel for what capabilities he had, compared to many motorcraft pilots.

paul

You are of course, entitled to your opinion.

Here is why I disagree:

1. He didn't have time to "feel" anything. He trimmed the aircraft for best glide, and they ran through the checklists. in a very short period of time, they were setting up for the landing. That was the "focus". They undergo simulator training every 6 months, to make all of that routine to them. It's all regimented, and beat into them.

2. All pilots are trained to do power off gliding, it's a basic flight maneuver. Students do it. When the engine fails after take off, the best you can do, is to maintain the preordained published speed, adjusted for your weight at the time. You are not using glider skills, looking for thermals, or updrafts. You are diagnosing the problem, (if you have time), and planning the landing.

3. An airplane doesn't turn into a little two seat glider, when the engine(s) quit. It still an airplane. In this case, a big heavy one. It's not agile. And, it's not going up.

If you read the interviews with Sullenberger, he discusses that the A320 attenuates your control inputs, so even if he had tried to "feel" anything, the computer would not let him "really control it". Here is an excerpt:""

"In the last four seconds of the flight, a little-known software feature of the fly-by-wire system known only to a few software engineers at Airbus, but to no airline pilots and no airline operators, prevented me from achieving that last little bit of performance because of something called the phugoid mode. And had that not inhibited our performance, had that not, as the NTSB in the report euphemistically said, attenuated my inputs, nose e-up commands we wouldn't have hit quite so hard, we wouldn't ave had as much damage and [Flight Attendant] Doreen Welsh might not have been injured in the back when a piece of structure came up through the floor, and the airplane might have floated a little bit higher in the water and a little bit longer. So it's a mixed blessing: It prevented us from making egregious errors, but we didn't anyway, and at the very end it prevented us from getting the nose up quite as much as we theoretically should have been able to. with the kind of quick inputs you need to really control it. That is why the aircraft did not touch down softer. He pulled back hard when the tail hit the water, and the computer buffered it".

/ Movie "Sully" #18  
Its well known within the commercial airline business that the NTSB tried to put Sully in the light as portrayed in the movie. I worked 28 years as a commercial aircraft mechanic. The Airbus in designed different than a Boeing plane. With Airbus their philosophy is that if the aircraft gets in trouble the computer system will takeover...pilot really has little input to what they can do. Though the parameters are large for this to happen so the aircraft has to be in a really bad way. Boeing on the other hand still lets the pilot control things. Sully never got to the part of the checklist that told them to cycle on the 'ditching' switch. When activated it closes all the exterior outlet doors.... To land a commercial jet on the water is very rarely successful....usually one of the engines or wing tips clips the water and then cartwheels.... It just wasn't that flights day to end it all ! Sully being the Vietnam era fighter pilot he was paid off. Most of todays commercial pilots are simulator trained.....not that many come from the military like it was back in the day.

/ Movie "Sully" #19  
Read an interview with Sully and he said the NTSB part was overdone and they were not out to get him.

Think about Why would they go after him when the bird strike and the following loss of power was the problem, not pilot error.

Sometimes people do amazing things. Remember the airliner that landed in the Iowa cornfield after loss of hydraulics? Had to control the flight path by regulating engine power. Pilots in simulators always crashed.

And the airliner in Canada that lost power and landed on an old out of use military base? Glider experience helped on that one. Google Gimli Glider.

/ Movie "Sully" #20  
And the airliner in Canada that lost power and landed on an old out of use military base? Glider experience helped on that one. Google Gimli Glider.

Perhaps. But, is that proven fact?

"To have the maximum range and therefore the largest choice of possible landing sites, he needed to fly the 767 at the optimal glide speed."

All pilots are trained to do that.

Pilots that are not trained in gliders, do manage to glide to land too.