Blinded by the light

/ Blinded by the light #1  

square1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1700 4x4 w/ FEL
With all respect due (you can be the judge of that) to Manfred Mann...

On a scale of 1 -10, the trend toward brighter headlights has hit ridiculous. There are national highway insurance institute tests / studies indicating how well the new retina burning headlights allow a driver to see a deer in the road in the next county over. Has any consideration been given to safety with regard to oncoming drivers?

I travel a lot of country roads, away from the illumination of the city. My windshield is always clean inside. I have top dollar wiper blades and use good Rain-x washer solvent. I can read road signs from a distance away that amazes people.

Now that the morning, and soon the evening commute is being done in darkness I find myself having to use the fog line or road shoulder when faced by airplane landing lights on the vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. Eventually snow will take away those guides and I'm really fearful of not being able to see anything.

I've increased the level of dash illumination in hopes of decreasing the contrast of oncoming 10,000,000 candlepower headlights to no avail. This however greatly reduces the ability to see Bambi poised on the side of the road ready to make her move. Seriously, there is physical discomfort as my irises are ripped open by what could well be two suns mounted in the grill of opposing vehicles.

Maybe flip down sunglasses are an option.

Anyone?

/ Blinded by the light #2  
Two things:
1. Regarding super-bright headlights, you're not alone. Only lights less - safe are the strobes on some police cars; so bright as to blind, at a time when good vision would be particularly beneficial.

2. Your due respect should go out to Bruce Springsteen. Manfred Mann version was a cover.

Last edited:
   / Blinded by the light
Two things:
1. Regarding super-bright headlights, you're not alone. Only lighrs less - safe are the strobes on some police cars; so bright as to blind, at a time when good vision would be particularly beneficial.

2. Your due respect should go out to Bruce Springsteen. Manfred Mann version was a cover.
Two good points :)

/ Blinded by the light #4  

I don't like my new car stereo because it shows the artist playing the song.

My one boy was in the car with me and he tried to impress me by telling me Manfred Mann was playing "Blinded by the light". I keep forgeting that they can look at the stereo and it shows whose playing the song LOL (I'm trying to get them to appreciate ALL kinds of music and be able to tell who the artist is either by the instrumental playing or the voice of the singer).

I told my boy it's not fair, that he can see who the artist is, but then asked him who was the original artist of the song. Stumped him on that one LOL.

As for oncoming brightness of a light while driving, on my older car I did have the front windshield heavily tinted like the first 8" down from the top of the front windshield. I found that if I lifted my head up higher while driving (originally got it because I was getting blinded driving east into the sunrise in the mornings on the highway), the tint actually worked for oncoming lights.

/ Blinded by the light
@Sigarms Does the intensity of oncoming headlights seems less in the new car (presuming it doesn't have the tint)? Is it a fight fire with fire thing?

/ Blinded by the light #6  
I feel you pain, square1. I've also been seeing some cars & light trucks driving with LED light bars on at night...talk about making your eyes bleed. I met a car this week with their high beam HID lights on and when they FINALLY put their low beams on I couldn't tell the difference other than I saw the flicker from the changeover. Usually my tactic when an oncoming car won't dim their lights is to simply flick my high beams on momentarily and if that doesn't get them to change I'll flick on my high beams and leave them on. Probably not the best solution but I don't have any other means to alert the driver of the other car besides a counter-display.

/ Blinded by the light
I feel you pain, square1. I've also been seeing some cars & light trucks driving with LED light bars on at night...talk about making your eyes bleed. I met a car this week with their high beam HID lights on and when they FINALLY put their low beams on I couldn't tell the difference other than I saw the flicker from the changeover. Usually my tactic when an oncoming car won't dim their lights is to simply flick my high beams on momentarily and if that doesn't get them to change I'll flick on my high beams and leave them on. Probably not the best solution but I don't have any other means to alert the driver of the other car besides a counter-display.
Yeah, it's tempting. I am becoming a lot bolder about flashing my high beams. Figure even if they have theirs on low, at least they'll know it's a potential issue (although I doubt most think twice about it, just want to know why that a-hole is flashing them). It can't make it worse can it? I already can't see. I guess now there are two drivers that can't see, might be worse ;)

/ Blinded by the light #8  
@Sigarms Does the intensity of oncoming headlights seems less in the new car (presuming it doesn't have the tint)? Is it a fight fire with fire thing?

In all honesty, I really haven't noticed it (extreme bright oncoming head lights). I do know my father has a new Honda, and those lights are BRIGHT even on low. I have no doubt we have new vehicles around where I live, but I'm guessing they are in the minority, not majority. Also keep in mind, I'm generally not doing a lot of night driving.

My territory for work had changed years ago, don't do as much early morning east driving, so never bothered to get the "new" car's front window tinted. Do remember though it did help when I had it done.

On a unrelated sidenote, remember when the headlight intensity selector was on the floor? LOL

/ Blinded by the light #9  
Two things:
1. Regarding super-bright headlights, you're not alone. Only lights less - safe are the strobes on some police cars; so bright as to blind, at a time when good vision would be particularly beneficial.

Ems/Fire/police lights are ridiculous. They are literally blinding and kill your vision. I flashed a cop coming to work yesterday morning. His little charger kept right on going.

With the addition to automatic high beams I think it will help tremendously but the emergency vehicles are crazy

Brett

/ Blinded by the light #10  
I used to have a Mitsubishi pickup which, for the day, had very bright headlights. We packed it full of camping gear plus dogs in the back and took off for our camping spot. We left after work.

It's a six hour drive, almost all of it on a two lane highway, and most of the driving was at night.

With the weight on the back, the headlights tilted upward sort of like high beams always on. EVERY SINGLE CAR that was oncoming flashed me, which got very annoying. I flashed back and most drivers just put up with it. A few left their high beams on. So, I got creative.

On a narrow unlit two lane highway, in the dark, when an oncoming car flashed me I just turned off the lights entirely. Aha. There was a bright full moon and although it was probably stupid we thought it was real funny.

I did that about a dozen times then considered whether the oncoming car might be a police car. I then went back to dutifully flashing back ... every oncoming car.