Blinded by the light

/ Blinded by the light #11  
I know in my tundras the headlight pattern is very distinct, you notice it pulling up to a garage door with the headlights on.
if the light pattern is designed right, low beams shouldn't be directed into oncoming traffic until very late in the pattern.
not sure if all manufacturers are like that, or if new bulbs change that.
high beams on the other hand, do project much further out so i would imagine these newer brighter bulbs could cause
issues with oncoming drivers.

i have a bigger issue with newer vehicles that have designed it so the "BACKUP" lights come on when
people are getting in and out of their car,, absolutely the most stupidest thing i have ever seen. I spend so much time
in parking lots waiting for people to back up out of a parking spot, (sometimes so i can have the spot myself) only to find
that the lights are on while the people are walking away from the car! who thought of that brilliant idea??????
:confused:

/ Blinded by the light #12  
Vehicle headlights are regulated (to a point) with code reading in watts of power.
The problem is that halogen and LEDs emit more lumens for the given wattage thus making them 'legal'.

I also am blinded by high power LED beams and those guys rarely bother to dim them either.

My drive home is a 12 mile hilly road and the oncoming vehicles in opposite lane really blind me when they crest a hill. To add to the situation the road is narrower than normal and just this year the deepened all the ditches consequently I often need to slow down to a near stop or crawl pace.
Dump trucks and big delivery vans usually spill over to my lane.

/ Blinded by the light #13  
Two things:
1. Regarding super-bright headlights, you're not alone. Only lights less - safe are the strobes on some police cars; so bright as to blind, at a time when good vision would be particularly beneficial.

2. Your due respect should go out to Bruce Springsteen. Manfred Mann version was a cover.
Agree, new police lights are blinding to the point they create a hazzard.

/ Blinded by the light #15  
We recently bought a 2014 Honda Crosstour and my wife commented that she likes how bright the headlights are and how far they project into the ditches and fields. There are so many deer between us and town it's ridiculous and it's much easier to see them in the Honda. That's not true about our other three vehicles. The old F150's headlights are terrible but it rarely gets driven in the dark. I replaced the bulbs in the 08 Accent mainly to see the deer better on my way home from work in the dark.

While driving into town the other night with the dim lights on in the Honda I got brights flashed at me two times by the same car coming towards me. I was at the top of a small rise in the road and I'm sure they hit him right at eye level. The dims are definitely aimed below the oncoming cars windshields on a flat road but if there are any dips or rises it's a different story.

I wouldn't be against toning down the dims a bit but give me the brightest brights available to avoid animals when there is no oncoming traffic.

Kevin

/ Blinded by the light #16  
With all respect due (you can be the judge of that) to Manfred Mann...

On a scale of 1 -10, the trend toward brighter headlights has hit ridiculous. There are national highway insurance institute tests / studies indicating how well the new retina burning headlights allow a driver to see a deer in the road in the next county over. Has any consideration been given to safety with regard to oncoming drivers?

I travel a lot of country roads, away from the illumination of the city. My windshield is always clean inside. I have top dollar wiper blades and use good Rain-x washer solvent. I can read road signs from a distance away that amazes people.

Now that the morning, and soon the evening commute is being done in darkness I find myself having to use the fog line or road shoulder when faced by airplane landing lights on the vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. Eventually snow will take away those guides and I'm really fearful of not being able to see anything.

I've increased the level of dash illumination in hopes of decreasing the contrast of oncoming 10,000,000 candlepower headlights to no avail. This however greatly reduces the ability to see Bambi poised on the side of the road ready to make her move. Seriously, there is physical discomfort as my irises are ripped open by what could well be two suns mounted in the grill of opposing vehicles.

Maybe flip down sunglasses are an option.

Anyone?
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!
Seriously, there is physical discomfort as my irises are ripped open by what could well be two suns mounted in the grill of opposing vehicles.
Two? The new tracks have as many as 6!
Its ridiculous!
Something has to be. We have airbags everywhere, but we can't see the road at night.

/ Blinded by the light #18  
I know in my tundras the headlight pattern is very distinct, you notice it pulling up to a garage door with the headlights on.
if the light pattern is designed right, low beams shouldn't be directed into oncoming traffic until very late in the pattern.
not sure if all manufacturers are like that, or if new bulbs change that.
high beams on the other hand, do project much further out so i would imagine these newer brighter bulbs could cause
issues with oncoming drivers.

i have a bigger issue with newer vehicles that have designed it so the "BACKUP" lights come on when
people are getting in and out of their car,, absolutely the most stupidest thing i have ever seen. I spend so much time
in parking lots waiting for people to back up out of a parking spot, (sometimes so i can have the spot myself) only to find
that the lights are on while the people are walking away from the car! who thought of that brilliant idea??????
:confused:

Oooo. You hit my pet peeve spot on! Who the heck did this genius move needs to be throttled. Something wrong with the parking lights like everyone else uses? I look around while backing up and can't tell if the other car is in reverse or just hit their remote. I think it is GM that did this genius move. Figgers:D:hissyfit:

/ Blinded by the light
Try these sun visor shades when you need some help reacting to brightness suddenly.
Glare Sun Shield Visor - Duluth Trading
Thanks for the link. My daily driver does have window tint at the top of the windshield like Sigarms mentioned which works well for the sun. The low roof line of the car makes it impracticable for headlights. The headliner messes up my hair ;) That flip down thing-a-ma-bob might be just the ticket...and their selling point "No more forgetting your sunglasses" rings to true with the onset of CRS disease.

/ Blinded by the light #20  
A couple of points. If you live on a hilly curvey road when vehicles are creating a hill or going around a corner they will be pointing in your eyes. Also as you get older your eyes become more sensitive to the bright lights And take longer to adjust. And yes, I agree the lights on some vehicles are terrible.