Gun and ammo question

/ Gun and ammo question #11  
The advanced development of sabot slug rounds add reach and make shotguns extremely accurate with a single projectile...

/ Gun and ammo question #12  
You can fire 22 lr, 223 and 5.56 all in the same gun safely, I do it all the time.

Buy a Rock River Arms coyote model that has the Wylde chamber works great for both .223 and 5.56 and buy a 22 LR conversion bolt and magazines like this. Great way to practice.

View attachment 530765

Agreed.. to do the 22lr, he'd need a conversion bolt / chamber.

410 will fire in guns with long chambers made to fire 45lc and 410 handgun or otherwise. things like the judge, circuit judge, etc..

a 556 chamber will take 223 fine. 556 IN a 223 and you may find pressure issues due to the chamber lead

/ Gun and ammo question #14  
Buy a 5.56 for things going south. Buy the 22lr for varmint. AR 556 around $500 10/22 around $200 You can get a Mossberg® 702 Plinkster 22LR for $160 Savage® Arms AXIS 223 on sale for $229 (non 5.56 ) both for under $400

/ Gun and ammo question #15  
You can fire 22 lr, 223 and 5.56 all in the same gun safely, I do it all the time.

Buy a Rock River Arms coyote model that has the Wylde chamber works great for both .223 and 5.56 and buy a 22 LR conversion bolt and magazines like this. Great way to practice.

View attachment 530765

Interesting BUT.....you could buy a nice 22LR for what this conversion kit cost.

/ Gun and ammo question #16  
Interesting BUT.....you could buy a nice 22LR for what this conversion kit cost.

Yes BUT that wasn’t what the original poster was inquiring about. He wanted to fire 22LR/.223/5.56 in the same rifle and a few said it couldn’t be done. It can.

It’s not the .22 I grab when dispatching a varmit on the farm, but it’s a great way for low-cost live fire practice and familiarity with an AR based rifle. You need numerous 22 rifles!

/ Gun and ammo question #17  
FWIW, a lot of 'stuff' on the interweb about the interchangeability of .223 and 5.56 NATO.

a trusted source -American Rifleman | .223 Remington Vs. 5.56: What's in a Name?

Yes they are the same diameter but as mentioned the pressure is different. NEVER fire 5.56 in a 223 Rem. not rated for it. A lot of newer firearms will shoot both but there are guns out there not designed for the pressure of the 5.56. (Max - approx. 55000 psi for a .223 rem, max - approx 62,000 for 5.56 Nato (and it has to proof to 125% for full cert. I believe. Also the throat guidelines are slightly different thus allowing the bullet of the 5.5.6 to engage sooner in a .233 rem thus possibly increasing the pressure even more)
Also a .22LR is actually a slightly different bore diameter than a .223 Rem. Yes you can do it but you need to change out some parts. You can't just grab a .22lr and stick it in your 223 Rem and expect it to work. Heck you can shoot .22lr in a .45, if you don't mind changing out a few parts.....

/ Gun and ammo question #19  
Why not get an AR15 5.6mm/223 for everything? Put an inexpensive red dot sight on it - the ammo isn't all that expensive. You could later buy a 6.5mm Grendel upper and transform it into a dandy deer rifle.

/ Gun and ammo question #20  
20 Ga Youth, pump or semi-auto. If slugs and buckshot cost too much, ... how many rounds/yr are you going to shoot???? Whatever you consider, there will something better. Who ya gotta please? It's not like a car, and you only have to buy once.

Why I recommend:
- Short o'all length eases handling indoors for home/personal defense.
- Many wives won't shy from 20 Ga recoil. 'More power' doesn't help if the Mrs cringes and misses.
- Plenty of power for deer to 100 yd (ballistically similar to .45-70, and .50 cal muzzleloader, ie: projectile weight 300-400g, diameter ~.5", velocity 1200-1400fps)
- Measuring your manhood (too much oomph) for 'the guys' won't help Mama's cannon-confidence during a break-in when macho man isn't home. :rolleyes:

Deer/HD loads: 2� Gauge Ammo - 2� Ga. Shells for Sale
Raccoon/HD loads: 2� Gauge Ammo - 2� Ga. Shells for Sale

I prefer Remington and Win ammo as linked above. No problems grouping/patterning in my Rem 11-48 (licensed, round-top Auto-5) .. despite having a 'poly-choke' which isn't 'all that' to have.

Any of us might add an -er to another's suggestion. Don't compromise usability for cheap or to do several things poorly vs doing one well and having a gun for each purpose. 2 usually covers uses mentioned by our OP, if he gets the right two, and the Mrs should approve or .. ??