Calculating the size of a pond

/ Calculating the size of a pond #1  

fishfrank

I have a pond on my farm that I guess is about a half acre in size. But like I said this is my best guess. How do you figure out the exact size? I need to treat the pond for excessive weeds and need to figure the size of it.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #2  
fishfrank

Do you need to compute the surface area or volume in gallons?

Also, can you provide more information based on which computation you need? (e.g. If surface area, what's the shape and can you get dimensions. If volume, we'll need the same but also need depth, slope to depth...).

/ Calculating the size of a pond #3  
fishfrank,

Send me a private message and I'll help you out with info on appropriate chemicals and whether you need surface area or volume and how to calculate. Click on "Fishman" and select private message. You'll know I have replied when you sign in to the main discussion area and an envelope is flashing next to "main index" in the menu. You click on it and there will be my reply. Alternatively, you can just post it here, and I'll respond so everyone can read it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry if this is too elementary for you but new users sometimes can't figure out the PM system.

It's kind of late in the year to be treating vegetation. Where are you located?

/ Calculating the size of a pond
Hmmmm I guess what I should have asked is when someone says they have a pond a certain size in acreage, how did they come to this conclusion? Can you step it off, the perimeter?

/ Calculating the size of a pond #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hmmmm I guess what I should have asked is when someone says they have a pond a certain size in acreage, how did they come to this conclusion? Can you step it off, the perimeter? )</font>

Anything that big should be included in the survey when it was last purchased, and you could scale it off from there. If you want to buy the property, ask to see his survey plat (unlesss he just built it). If the pond is approximately round or square you could calculate it easily by pacing it off.

Pete

/ Calculating the size of a pond #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hmmmm I guess what I should have asked is when someone says they have a pond a certain size in acreage, how did they come to this conclusion? Can you step it off, the perimeter? )</font>

Stepping off the perimiter is not accurate, unless the pond is a (near) perfect circle. The largest area that can be enclosed by a given perimeter length is a perfect circle. If you alter the shape from a perfect circle, the enclosed area goes down, until you reach near zero area (imagine an area 100 meters by 1 millimeter).

Dave

/ Calculating the size of a pond #7  
Oh dear - it seems one will have to lay out base lines, take measurements, plot on a grid and use a plainimeter to find the area.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Calculating the size of a pond #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Oh dear - it seems one will have to lay out base lines, take measurements, plot on a grid and use a plainimeter to find the area.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Sounds like a good excuse to buy some new toys! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave

/ Calculating the size of a pond #9  
In my younger years our family lived in an allotment with a large shared pond. It was about 3-4 acres worth. Every year the neighbors would chip in for chemicals to control the weeds since the pond would be chocked otherwise. Then one year I read about Grass Carp and called a local supplier of live fish to find out more about them. The company also determined how many Amour were needed to control the weeds and I took the proposal to the group of neighbors for consideration. The first year the fish were introduced into the pond we saw an improvement and by the second season the difference was like night and day. Never again did we need chemicals added for weed control.

We have long since moved away from the allotment in favor of clean country living and the first thing we did after excavating a new pond was to stock it with fish including Amour once it had filled. We have never had a problem with weeds and the Amour are now monsters on a diet of only pond weeds. This solution might be something for you to consider rather than using expensive, dangerous chemicals like copper sulfate in your pond that may also poison your fish or worse.

Good luck in your efforts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Calculating the size of a pond #10  
PineRidge:

How would I go about finding a supplier of live fish? Gerard