Calculating the size of a pond

/ Calculating the size of a pond #11  
My neighbor has a pond about 100 x 200 feet and it's 8-10 feet deep. He has 4 carp in there about 30 inches long and they have no weeds in the pond at all.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #12  
My previous house was on a small pond (3-4 acres)along with 4 other houses that shared it. We fought weeds and algae with chemicals. Finally we introduced steral chinese weed/algae eating carp. I don't remember the exact name. However, they were purchased from a supplier for the state of KY. They recommended the number of fish based on pond size. KY subsidized the purchase. I think I paid $6 or so each. They were small but they quickly grew huge and the weeds and algae were no longer a problem. Check with your state ag group they may be able to help you.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #13  
If it is in the open most GPS recievers can calculate the area by just walking around the pond.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "How would I go about finding a supplier of live fish?")</font>

I'd contact your local state fisheries office and ask them. In some cases, the state will actually provide you with fish. At the very minimum, they should be able to provide you with some info on local fish growers that you can purchase from.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #15  
Grass carp, or white amur are great tools to remove vegetation safely from ponds and lakes. However, they aren't perfect. There are some plants they don't like, like coontail, so higher stocking densities are required. Some plants they physically can't eat, like filamentous algae. You know, the stuff that floats around in mats on the surface in late spring/summer. Finally, they are indiscriminant in their eating, and may give you more control than you need.

Chemicals have their place. They are good for spot treating shoreline areas that you want to fish. They treat vegetation that nothing else will work on. Some states don't allow grass carp and so chemicals are the only option in large areas. I agree with PineRidge that there are certainly better options than copper sulfate, although almost all of them are more expensive.

Manually removing weeds is difficult and will only work in small areas.

If anyone has any specific questions, they are always welcome to PM me. Most problems have similar solutions, whether you are in Virginia, California, or Texas. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Calculating the size of a pond #16  
fishfrank

I'd probably go with fishman for your answers but keep posting here with thoughts and outcomes for the benefit of all.

I also got to thinking of something for computing volume of a pond but will need help on the details. If/as I recall, there's a chemical or dye that can be added to the water. Once dissipated throughout the pond, you get a water sample and measure the amount of dye. From this, you'll know the exact volume.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #17  
Gerald I might suggest checking in your yellow pages for live fish. We found a local business, (Copley Feed) where we bought the fish then we actually picked them up at a different location (Summit County Fairgrounds) where they bagged them for up the trip home to our pond.

When we mow around our pond we purposely discharge the grass into the pond itself. These miniature submarines turn on their sides to get as close to the shoreline as possible for the fresh cut treat. They are a real riot to watch. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Calculating the size of a pond #18  
As Panache said, using a GPSr is one of the easiest and most accurate ways to calculate area. I have attached a page from the Garmin eTrex Venture (about $130-$140 online) manual that discusses the procedure. Very simple and certainly accurate enough for your purposes.

To my knowledge Magellan units do not include this functionality, while most Garmins do. You can always use a freeware program to calculate area once you record the trackpoints on a Magellan (what I do), but if that's what you want it for, I'd get a Garmin. You'll find lots of other uses for it, too. A great tool for the money.

Attachments

• 544026-Garmin area calculation.jpg
    544026-Garmin area calculation.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 98
   / Calculating the size of a pond #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it is in the open most GPS recievers can calculate the area by just walking around the pond. )</font>

Hey, thanks for the tip. I don't have a pond but I have a very odd shaped horse pasture that I've always guess the acreage and never really knew the actual. I just pulled my Garmin GPS72 that I use for hunting and fishing and walked around the pasture and saved the track. Changed it to acreage and there it is, 2.83546 acres of Kentucky Tall for them two horses to eat.

Thanks again for the tip.

/ Calculating the size of a pond #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Gerald I might suggest checking in your yellow pages for live fish. We found a local business, (Copley Feed) where we bought the fish then we actually picked them up at a different location (Summit County Fairgrounds) where they bagged them for up the trip home to our pond.

When we mow around our pond we purposely discharge the grass into the pond itself. These miniature submarines turn on their sides to get as close to the shoreline as possible for the fresh cut treat. They are a real riot to watch. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Thanks PineRidge. I'll check them. One more question:

How deep should a pond be for the fish to survive the winter months? Thanks again. Gerard