Doggy shock collars

/ Doggy shock collars #1  

goodoleboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Still looking since thats half the fun!
Has anyone used a shock collar ? Im looking at SportDog Fieldtrainer 400 sd-400.

Ive got a dog that needs some training to stay out of the road,stop jumping on guest and myself. Most of the time she is good but sometimes she likes to go nuts in new places and run in the road after cars. She is 2 years old a yellow lab and very stuborn.

I know some probaly wont like the idea of a collar and I hesitated for a few years becuase I though it was inhumane. We tried different methods but they dont seem to work.I would rather shock her a few times than use the method a farmer down the road gave "when she gets back beat the **** out of her" which i refuse to do.

/ Doggy shock collars #2  
We have 3 dogs and have successfully used Invisible Fencing to keep them in the yard. We routinely let them out without their collars on now and they never even come close to leaving.

So far as the training collar my brother has a yellow lab that had similar problems as yours. He used the training collar on him without much success. The dog was way too energetic and ignored the shock and sound. I think the general consensus for training is positive reenforcement not negative. Make your dog sit when someone someone new comes around and immediately reenforce with a treat etc.

I swear by the invisible fencing for containment but for behavior issues I would not recommend the training collars.

/ Doggy shock collars #3  
they have pros and cons like anyother product.

/ Doggy shock collars #4  
The shock collars work well but if you have a smart dog they will quickly associate the collar with the pain. That means they are saints as long as they have the collar on them and when it off, well all bets are off.

Our dog taught us a few lessons when it came to the collars.

PS It works well on the wife too. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Doggy shock collars #5  
To really be effective you need to use it as a training tool. The dog first needs to be taught basic commands. Come, sit, stay, heel, etc. Once you have the dogs respect here many times the shock collar isn't necessary. It takes alot of time to get the dog trained and you must be consistent with the training.

Once they are trained to basic commands and you have the dogs respect and it is still necessary to use the shock collar you must do it as part of a training program. It does no good to just go out and yell at the dog and shock them. You must precede the shock with a specific command that the dog already knows. If he's out in the road say come. If he doesn't come it's the lowest level shock. If he does big praise. If not you go to the next level. If the dog is jumping it's no very firmly and then sit. If he doesn't sit immediately then it's usually a training problem. If you still have the problem after the dog will sit on command most any place then again you use the commands first immediately followed by the lowest level shock and so on.

By training for a specific response you condtion the dog to obey the verbal command. If you just shock the dog many of them never figure out what you want. Used with a good training program though the shock collar can be a great tool.

/ Doggy shock collars #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( To really be effective you need to use it as a training tool. The dog first needs to be taught basic commands. Come, sit, stay, heel, etc. Once you have the dogs respect here many times the shock collar isn't necessary. It takes alot of time to get the dog trained and you must be consistent with the training.

Once they are trained to basic commands and you have the dogs respect and it is still necessary to use the shock collar you must do it as part of a training program. It does no good to just go out and yell at the dog and shock them. You must precede the shock with a specific command that the dog already knows. If he's out in the road say come. If he doesn't come it's the lowest level shock. If he does big praise. If not you go to the next level. If the dog is jumping it's no very firmly and then sit. If he doesn't sit immediately then it's usually a training problem. If you still have the problem after the dog will sit on command most any place then again you use the commands first immediately followed by the lowest level shock and so on.

By training for a specific response you condtion the dog to obey the verbal command. If you just shock the dog many of them never figure out what you want. Used with a good training program though the shock collar can be a great tool. )</font>

Great advice. The only thing I would add is to couple the shocks for undesired behavior with enthusiastic praise when the dog exhibits desired behavior. We've always had better luck with carrots than with sticks.

Pete

/ Doggy shock collars #7  
The lovely Mrs_Bob dearly loves her annoying 6 pound yapping Maltese. I checked out a couple of the shock collars and found that they are designed for dogs that weigh at least 8 pounds.

Does anyone know a surefire way to add weight to a dog?

/ Doggy shock collars #8  
Cowboydoc is giving you good advice.

An electric collar is not a replacement for good training. If you don't know how to properly use the collar correctly you could really screw-up your dog.

I consider the collar only as a training aid. I use this instead of a long lead. That being said, I have found the collar can be very effective. I try to use the collar as little as possible and only after I am positive the dog already knows the command very well. I have found that it is most useful in reminding the dog that I am still in command regardless of how far away the dog is from me or of any other distractions i.e. deer or rabbits running through the yard or other dogs coming over....other people too. I have a golden and as far as she can tell any living creature must be coming over just to play with her. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you haven't brought the dog to any formal training I would suggest that you do that first. The training classes aren't enough to actually train your dog but they are enough to train you in the corret techniques. My dogs have responded best if I keep the training sessions short, 10-15 minutes once or twice per day.

Good Luck,
Kevin

/ Doggy shock collars #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Does anyone know a surefire way to add weight to a dog?
)</font>

Blueberry pancakes with extra butter and syrup...

/ Doggy shock collars #10  
<font color="blue"> </font> Does anyone know a surefire way to add weight to a dog? <font color="black"> </font>

How about a TWO pound shock collar?
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif