Doggy shock collars

/ Doggy shock collars #11  
I would also add that shock collars if used inconsistently can confuse the dog. The best shock collar training method that I have ever seen, actually teaches the dog that obeying a command is a "game" and that quick response lets them "beat" the stimulation. When properly done the stimulation is issued before the command and held until you have completed saying the command.. It is done this way until the dog has thoroughly learned the new command. As his mastery of the command is learned... slowly start making the stimulation come later and later until it is actually now coming AFTER the command has been issued. The timing is critical but stop the stimulation as soon as the dog BEGINS to comply. The dog eventually gets the idea that quick and immediated obediency "beats" the stimulation and it never comes to begin with. This reinforces good behavior and actually promotes using the collar less and less over time.

Consistency is key... you can ruin lots of training by using it improperly even a few times. Also never reinforce bad behavior, if the dog is doing something wrong like running in the road. Either leave him be, or use the come command. If the come command doesn't work, use the come command with stimulation, but never chase him or yell for the behavior to stop in an inconsistent way. He just won't get it.

The requirements of this type of training are a collar with continuous stimulation. I bought a combo unit from Innotek called the Deluxe Contain -n- Train for stubborn dogs. It has worked wonders along with the hours and hours of training I have dedicated to Methos (black lab/border collie mix).

Edit: Oh if you follow the good training practices, they don't associate the stimulation with the collar, only the "game" of beating it.

/ Doggy shock collars #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The shock collars work well but if you have a smart dog they will quickly associate the collar with the pain )</font>

That's exactly right. You should actually have the dog wear the collar all day long for a month before you even think about putting batteries in it.

My .02 along with the other good responsses I read.

/ Doggy shock collars #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Does anyone know a surefire way to add weight to a dog?
)</font>

Get it married. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Actually, our current lab was responding to standard commands OK, but there were times she would ignore us. I started conditioning her with the dummy collar. Funny thing, she started listening better without ever using the real collar. I guess she figured out what the deal was. I swear they understand almost every word we say around them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Doggy shock collars #14  
Bob I may be able to help you. The collar I have in front of me adjusts down to 3 inches in diameter. I used it on our last Shi-Tzu which was a small dog. It is a Tri-Tronics with the multiple interchangeable color coded power probes. It is still in the box with all documentation, interested? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can send a picture.

My wife won't wear it anymore either.

/ Doggy shock collars #15  
Mike, just hang on to it for me. I have to be selective about the timing of when I get it. The next time the lovely Mrs_Bob goes out of town, that little yapper is going to get some training!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

By the way, sorry to hear about your wife. But I suppose she is fully trained already?

/ Doggy shock collars #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The shock collars work well but if you have a smart dog they will quickly associate the collar with the pain. That means they are saints as long as they have the collar on them and when it off, well all bets are off.

)</font>

True but the shear sight of the collar gets them in-line in a heart beat....when my boys act up the collar goes on (mostly on the off position) Angels they are for the entire time the collar is on...I could leave it on for a few days too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I find they work excellent and when used correctly get the dog in line faster then older traditional methods (and less yelling) I dont use my Lab for hunting, he is just my best friend who listens and gets treated like a prince...he knows he is the luckiest dog alive , or so I tell him /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif actually them (mastiff as well)

There no way in heck the dog will ignore the zap, its potent and starteling and they will never build up a tolerance for it!!
Trust me I know how it feels - I had the probes in my hands and someone else pressed the remote - I will never forget it, and I know my dog' wont either /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm talking the ones for sale from Cabellas (Dogtra) is the one brand I have....its water proof as well

Ducati

/ Doggy shock collars #17  
That is one reason that I like the contain and train system that I have. He doesn't really know what it is like without the collar since it is the same one for the underground fence. On the few occasions that it is off, I see no disobedience because the collar is off.

I think I have handled the training well enough that he does not associate the collar with stimulation, plus the fact that I started him young.

/ Doggy shock collars #18  
Freds,
I had a bad experience with doing that. I don't know if our dog (a Shepard Norwegian Wolfhound cross) was particularly sensitive, but in only a couple of weeks she had sores where the probes touched her skin.

Mike

/ Doggy shock collars #19  
I can recommend the Tri-Tronics Sport 60. It has multiple levels and a warn/non-shock button. They have been making collars forever and seem to be one of those with higher quality.

Our 2yr old yellow lab LOOKS FORWARD to getting the collar put on! She know that immediately following, she is going outside, and thats something, she looks forward to almost, and sometimes even more, than eating.

/ Doggy shock collars #20  
Our yellow lab for the most part has always been pretty good about listening to us. We did use a collar for about a week but I think I had her pretty much trained before we started using the collar so I took it back off. She doesn't jump up on people anymore, she comes when I tell her too, and she never leaves our yard unless she has to go to the bathroom. Then she goes to the neighbors yard!!! Which is neat as I don't have to clean up anymore /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you start young it is easier to train but you can teach an old dog new tricks if you put your mind to it. Lots of treats.

murph