rural road speeders

/ rural road speeders #1  

jheady

Just wanted to bounce something off the group.

I live about 2 miles in between two small towns and my road is a short cut to either from some of the more remote areas of the county. Our house it also located on one of the few straight stretches on the road too. We have problems with a majority of the hicks and young punks trying to burn the road up. At the beginning of the road their is a posted speed limit of 35 mph, and just about everybody goes a little over, but some are out right flying.
I and my next door neighbors have young children, granted we all have 300' drives, but none of us let our kids near the road. We have voiced our concerns with the local Barney Fife but with no resolution. One neighbor has even talked to a State Trooper to invite him to just come sit in his drive for a day and get a hand cramp. (The Trooper was there to work a hit and run with neighbor as his wife was forced off the road and sideswiped). The county is also in the process of widening our road right now with gravel and hopefully with blacktop, so I hope they see some of the problem while they are there too.
What do you guys do, or have done in the past, or suggest for the next move? I would like to get things slowed down before someone gets hurt or killed. I am waiting for the day that someone meets a tractor or gooseneck on one of the hills and has no where to go. I know my ditch has been cleaned out a few times as it is now.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ rural road speeders #2  
Lots of potholes will slow everyone down. It makes your drive a little less pleasant but it works great. Might give you something to do with a pick axe late a night.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ rural road speeders #3  
One word: Caltrops.

Unfortunately, they are probably illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 622508-caltrop.gif
    622508-caltrop.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 511
   / rural road speeders #4  
Your best bet is to get a marked car somewhere on the stretch. Heck, there doesn't have to be a driver (although preferred) but if they see a police car, that'll slow them down.

If your local law enforcement won't do it themselves, ask if it's OK for you to paint some VASCAR lines across the road. It'll work short term (about a year until the paint fades).

The best results I've had was do take a lawn chair and a camcorder and sit next to the road for awhile. Around me, it's primarily the high school kids so I only need to be out there for about 15 minutes after they get out of school. When you see one coming fast, stand up and turn the camcorder on. Make yourself "somewhat" visible to them. When they see they're being recorded, they slow down real quick. The next day, be hiding a little better (but still just enough so they see you). After that, they don't know if you're there or not but they sure do abide by the limit.

Personally, I wouldn't do this but a guy down the road will pull one of his big pieces of equipment (dozer or something) right out in front of a speeder. Once they come to a screeching halt, he'll let them know that the next time, he won't be giving them a chance to stop and they'll be meeting that dozer's bucket.

/ rural road speeders #5  
I'm sure you know your own area far better than I do.. but just in case, this is a little snafu in our area that may be similar in yours:

In our area, when you are in the county and not within any city limits, if the speed is not posted at a lesser speed every 1/4 mile, the legal speed limit is 55mph.

If your area is similar, they may actually not be breaking any laws.

/ rural road speeders
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm sure you know your own area far better than I do.. but just in case, this is a little snafu in our area that may be similar in yours:

In our area, when you are in the county and not within any city limits, if the speed is not posted at a lesser speed every 1/4 mile, the legal speed limit is 55mph.

If your area is similar, they may actually not be breaking any laws. )</font>

I can agree with your logic on if it is not posted then it is 55 but some are even breaking that limit. I know I have seen several blasting down going at least 60, if not 70 or 80. Either way I have a posted limit just over the hill from my house, which is within the 1/4 mile limitation.

/ rural road speeders #7  
One house a few miles down the road.. sets close to road.. he put up a sign "SLOW DOWN" "30 mph" in flourestant orange. Even though I'm not flying.. it does make you look down to see how fast your going.

/ rural road speeders #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We have voiced our concerns with the local Barney Fife but with no resolution.)</font>

Can you elaborate on this? Why won't he come out?

/ rural road speeders #9  
The reason most of the county deputys wont come out is that most of the people in small countys that take these jobs have them because nobody else wants them , very little pay. I know not ever area is like mine but around here the local deputy are too busy chasing young girls to do there job. one night some young kids pulled into my sisters drive way all the way up too her porch, and was trying too kick her back door in, my other sis called the local law , and waited a few minutes. sheriffs office is 5 minutes away. they never came. she went out and confronted them, which i told her was stupid, they scattered in all directions. But back too speeding, in a small town close to me , there was a older man complaining about speeding on his small road , couldnt get anything done so he put up a sign by the road that said nudist colony ahead, they said it worked for awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ rural road speeders #10  
"Caution Naturist Camp"