rural road speeders

/ rural road speeders #22  
<font color="blue"> "Caution Naturist Camp" </font>
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ rural road speeders #23  
I'm not sure there's a whole lot that can be done, legally. Our road is eight feet wide with a ditch on one side and a stone wall on the other, the whole thing climbs at 22%, and tourists from the neighboring ski/tourist trap walk down it all the time. At least a couple times each year we have a near miss where some speeding punk takes the road at 50mph+ and nearly takes out a pedestrian or mtn biker...yet the town won't bother posting the road.

So every once in a while I have an accident with the rear blade on the tractor -- actually a whole string of little accidents -- and the road turns into washboard. Tends to slow most down, but some of the larger SUVs don't appear to even notice the road is rough.

One summer I put a huge poplar log next to my driveway. The thing was about eight feet long and two feet in diameter but only weighed about thirty pounds. If someone sped up the road I'd lift that log (straining like it weighed 300#) and drop it across the road as the punk came back down the hill. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then I'd growl like the Incredible Hulk while lecturing them on how their lives would change if they ran over a family here on vacation. Most were so in awe of the log trick they got really meek and polite.

But mine's a deadend road, and it sounds like yours is a shortcut. In my experience, shortcuts are raceways.

Pete

/ rural road speeders #24  
Try this.....Large Camera flashes @ night...and a well placed yard sprinkler during the day.

-dave

/ rural road speeders #25  
BigEddy: "Paint a likeness of your local cop in the window, holding onto his favourite radar gun."
Nah, make it more realistic. Have him holding a doughnut. Sorry Bird (and others). I couldn't pass this one up. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ rural road speeders #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have him holding a doughnut. Sorry Bird (and others). )</font>

Recently I saw a show on the Food network that was all about doughnuts. I think it was that show The Secret Life of... .

Anyway, they had a bit about a national doughnut eating contest sponsored by Dunkin Donuts.

The winner of the contest was a police officer from Wisconsin! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, if the powdered sugar fits, wear it! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ rural road speeders #27  
how about a plywood cut out of a cow or ten walking across the road

/ rural road speeders #28  
I saw a 2X6 fall off the back of a truck - Everyone slowed down to avoid it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ rural road speeders #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( two words Chisel Plow dont ask me how I know it works lol. )</font>

Used diagnal across the road spaced two to three feet apart for ten-twenty feet. I've been in other countries where they do the same thing but with speedbumps. It makes cars and trucks buck like a bronc even at slow speeds.

If you can afford any livestock, kill two or three on the road. Lay them across so the drivers will have to slow down and smell the roses. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Gut piles work almost as well.

/ rural road speeders #30  
I would call one of the local news stations. They're always looking for something to report.