Silly question about gate width

/ Silly question about gate width
Thanks for the replies. The gate will be about a 90 degree turn from a shared private gravel drive. I'm going to recess it to avoid the gate swinging into the shared drive (it's on an incline and will have to swing out) so that should help with the line-up of any trucks. We actually own the land the shared drive is on, so a truck can back off the shared drive into a field to make for a better line up if needed.

/ Silly question about gate width
Thanks for the replies. The gate will be about a 90 degree turn from a shared private gravel drive. I'm going to recess it to avoid the gate swinging into the shared drive (it's on an incline and will have to swing out) so that should help with the line-up of any trucks. We actually own the land the shared drive is on, so a truck can back off the shared drive into a field to make for a better line up if needed.

/ Silly question about gate width #13  
I would check with the county.

Around here, gates must be at least 12' wide on a straight road and 14' on curves.

The turn-off to your driveway might be considered a curve.

If you are going to do it, you might as well hit a home run the first time.

/ Silly question about gate width #14  
I would check with the county.

Around here, gates must be at least 12' wide on a straight road and 14' on curves.

The turn-off to your driveway might be considered a curve.

If you are going to do it, you might as well hit a home run the first time.

/ Silly question about gate width #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would check with the county.

Around here, gates must be at least 12' wide on a straight road and 14' on curves. )</font>

They have a law in Oregon or California that regulates the size of a persons gate?? Good grief! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Silly question about gate width #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would check with the county.

Around here, gates must be at least 12' wide on a straight road and 14' on curves. )</font>

They have a law in Oregon or California that regulates the size of a persons gate?? Good grief! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Silly question about gate width #17  
My gates for pastures that I mostly drive my tractor into, and might on a rare day, drive my pickup into are 12 feet. This is what I consider the bare minimum.

I put in 16 foot ones on some land I had that worked our real good. That might sound like overkill, but the price difference is minimal with ALLOT more room for comeing and going.

Lets say you got things hanging off a vehicle like tow mirrors or something. We can use 9 feet as a safe width for vehicle traffic.

A 12 foot gate will give you 18 inches on either side to drive through before you hit something. To me, that's too tight for a primary entrance without offering any advantage to such a small opening.

My entrance is 24 feet wide with two 12 foot gates. I plan on having RV's, trailers and allot of traffic coming through mine. I've found the more room you have to manuver, or even line up for a straight shot, the less problems you'll have.

Eddie

/ Silly question about gate width #18  
My gates for pastures that I mostly drive my tractor into, and might on a rare day, drive my pickup into are 12 feet. This is what I consider the bare minimum.

I put in 16 foot ones on some land I had that worked our real good. That might sound like overkill, but the price difference is minimal with ALLOT more room for comeing and going.

Lets say you got things hanging off a vehicle like tow mirrors or something. We can use 9 feet as a safe width for vehicle traffic.

A 12 foot gate will give you 18 inches on either side to drive through before you hit something. To me, that's too tight for a primary entrance without offering any advantage to such a small opening.

My entrance is 24 feet wide with two 12 foot gates. I plan on having RV's, trailers and allot of traffic coming through mine. I've found the more room you have to manuver, or even line up for a straight shot, the less problems you'll have.

Eddie

/ Silly question about gate width #19  
And if RVers can hit something, they will! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Silly question about gate width #20  
And if RVers can hit something, they will! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif