Silly question about gate width

/ Silly question about gate width #1  

anojones

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I'm planning on putting a gate at our driveway entrance. Is a 12 foot wide gate enough? My main concern would be the occasional construction vehicle when we build our barn or for other projects/deliveries (cement truck, dump truck with gravel, delivery of materials, UPS, FedEx, etc). The driveway itself is about 10' wide. Thanks.

/ Silly question about gate width
I'm planning on putting a gate at our driveway entrance. Is a 12 foot wide gate enough? My main concern would be the occasional construction vehicle when we build our barn or for other projects/deliveries (cement truck, dump truck with gravel, delivery of materials, UPS, FedEx, etc). The driveway itself is about 10' wide. Thanks.

/ Silly question about gate width #3  
12 foot should be fine.

/ Silly question about gate width #4  
12 foot should be fine.

/ Silly question about gate width #5  
I agree that 12' should be adequate. 8.5 is the maximum width allowed on almost any road equipment without an oversize permit. I doubt that any of the trucks you mentioned will ever be wider than 8.5'.

/ Silly question about gate width #6  
I agree that 12' should be adequate. 8.5 is the maximum width allowed on almost any road equipment without an oversize permit. I doubt that any of the trucks you mentioned will ever be wider than 8.5'.

/ Silly question about gate width #7  
You're OK. I purchased the longest "cow gate" stocked at my local hardware store, at 14'. No construction vehicle (well, except some of the commercial highway building stuff) will hit the sides of your gate at 12'. Sometimes they need to line up properly, so a long trailer doesn't "clip" something when turning off a road onto your property, but a reasonably competent driver should be fine. As far as FedEX and the like, no problem - they're not all that long, and most highway vehicles are limited to 8-9' in width.

/ Silly question about gate width #8  
You're OK. I purchased the longest "cow gate" stocked at my local hardware store, at 14'. No construction vehicle (well, except some of the commercial highway building stuff) will hit the sides of your gate at 12'. Sometimes they need to line up properly, so a long trailer doesn't "clip" something when turning off a road onto your property, but a reasonably competent driver should be fine. As far as FedEX and the like, no problem - they're not all that long, and most highway vehicles are limited to 8-9' in width.

/ Silly question about gate width #9  
Like others have said, you should be fine with 12'. But thats going to depend on a few things. If the road in front of your property runs paralell to you fence something to consider is how close to the road is the gate? How wide is the road? How deep is the ditch on both sides? Will ther ever be a possability of an 18 wheeler on the property? Most likely if you building a barn.

My fence is close to the county road and the road is narrow with steep incline on other side. If the gate was in line with the fence, turing into a 12' gate with an 18 wheeler is not going to happen. I had to recess the gate about 12 feet from the fence line and put in a larger opening. I now have a 32' gooseneck tailer and every time I turn in, I'm happy for the larger opening.

James

/ Silly question about gate width #10  
Like others have said, you should be fine with 12'. But thats going to depend on a few things. If the road in front of your property runs paralell to you fence something to consider is how close to the road is the gate? How wide is the road? How deep is the ditch on both sides? Will ther ever be a possability of an 18 wheeler on the property? Most likely if you building a barn.

My fence is close to the county road and the road is narrow with steep incline on other side. If the gate was in line with the fence, turing into a 12' gate with an 18 wheeler is not going to happen. I had to recess the gate about 12 feet from the fence line and put in a larger opening. I now have a 32' gooseneck tailer and every time I turn in, I'm happy for the larger opening.

James