Burying plastic culvert pipe

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #41  
JimR said:
The picture I posted of the ditch is on state property. That road is a state numbered route. The state owns 20' on each side of the road. The town maintains the ditche and road. I had them dig this ditch out years ago. The road was built up with wall stones many years ago. Water would flow under the road and into our front yard during heavy rains.

Does the state own this land by deed or do they have a right of way on the land and you have the deeded right to the land and pay the taxes on the land? Is this Route 31 or 122????

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #42  
Something I don't understand:

Why does the state need a 3 foot deep ditch across the front of my property when my yard is 3 feet below the paved surface of the highway ? ? ?
I don't see why a ditch is even neded there.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #43  
Jarrett said:
I do have the proper permission from the Con Com, DCR and Highway Dept. to install this/*
////////////
Here in Oh. you have to get a permit to install a culvert.
What I don't know is if you have to get a permit to repair or maintain a ditch.
I don't even know if you are allowed to even work on the ditch with or without a permit.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #44  
Jarrett said:
I work for Louisiana DOTD and that would be a big problem for us. We don't allow utility poles to be that close to the roadway. Usually, the poles go at the edge of the highway right-of-way, behind the ditches. Now, it may be different on city or parish roads.

I work for the Louisiana DOTD !​
>>> >>> Could you tell me why your state or any other state for that matter would need a 3 foot deep ditch across the front of someones yard that is already 3 feet below the surface of the state highway? >>>> >>>>

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe
Dusty said:
Does the state own this land by deed or do they have a right of way on the land and you have the deeded right to the land and pay the taxes on the land? Is this Route 31 or 122????

This is Route 56. I do not know if they own the right of way or the land. The highway boundaries are clearly shown on the land maps in the town hall and on our maps when we had the land surveyed.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe
LBrown59 said:
Here in Oh. you have to get a permit to install a culvert.
What I don't know is if you have to get a permit to repair or maintain a ditch.
I don't even know if you are allowed to even work on the ditch with or without a permit.

Like I said. I have already asked and have permission to do this. Nobody mentioned a permit to me during our conversations.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #47  
LBrown59 said:
Could you tell me why your state or any other state for that matter would need a 3 foot deep ditch across the front of someones yard that is already 3 feet below the surface of the state highway?

This is only a guess, but I would think that the ditch would be to prevent water from the road from flowing on to your property and flooding it. Here, it is against code to drain water from your property onto someone else's property.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #48  
LBrown59 said:
Something I don't understand:

Why does the state need a 3 foot deep ditch across the front of my property when my yard is 3 feet below the paved surface of the highway ? ? ?
I don't see why a ditch is even neded there.

At some point, the three foot depth is needed to collect rain water runoff and move it to a lower point. The ditch in front of my house is only about six inches deep at one end of my property but it gets deeper further down the road, before it goes across a field and into a large pond. I would rather than the county engineers have it three feet deep in the correct places than to have my property flooded from water running off the road onto my yard!
I trust that the county engineer's crew knows how to manage the location, depth, and slope of the ditches correctly, along with size of culverts and location of culverts that run under the roads, to prevent or reduce flooding of roadways and properties.

By the way, your whole yard isn't 3 feet below the road, is it? It looked to me like it runs significantly uphill from the road. :confused:

Last edited:
   / Burying plastic culvert pipe #49  
LBrown59 said:
Here in Oh. you have to get a permit to install a culvert...
I live on a county road... Instead of getting a permit, the county did the work...
For the price I could have bought the culvert only, the county bought, delivered, installed my culvert, and put gravel over it so I could drive over it. :)

LBrown59 said:
I don't have to do any work in my ditch... The county engineer's office comes through once every couple of years and digs out the ditches to make sure they are sloped the correct way so that the water runoff from the roads goes the right way to prevent flooding of roads and property. It's good to see I actually get something from the taxes I pay! :eek:

I don't even have to mow the grass in my ditches... I ran 250 feet of one inch pipe from my house to the road and run the discharge from my water softener to the road ditch... the salt in it kills the grass in the ditch!

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #50  
AndyM said:
I don't even have to mow the grass in my ditches... I ran 250 feet of one inch pipe from my house to the road and run the discharge from my water softener to the road ditch... the salt in it kills the grass in the ditch!

Watch it Andy. Some environmentalist is going to be after you soon for salting the environment! :rolleyes: