Burying plastic culvert pipe

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe
dmccarty said:
Jim,

Is a 24 inch pipe large enough? I have either an 18 or 24 inch pipe. Can't remember which since I got it for free. When I installed the culvert 6 years ago I read up on how to install them as well as size the culvert base on the amount of water that would flow throught the water shed. I'm lucky in that the culvert is withing 30-50 feet of the crest of a hil so very little water flows through the piple. Also a larger pipe was easier to clean out if required compared to a smaller pipe.

My origional plan to install the culvert was to dig down abit with the backhoe to place the pipe. Reality hit and I did not have time so I just laid the culvert on grade following the natural water flow. This has worked out fine. It may have caused problems if I had high flow rates. I also put in rip rap to stabilize the road bed.

Later,
Dan

The Highway Super told me to use a 24" pipe. I do need to make sure that the inside of the pipe is flush with the ground on the exit side to alleviate puddling. This area only drains when we have rain or snow melt. It is dry the rest of the time.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #22  
LBrown59 said:
If the water constantly flows along the ditch it will not become stagnant even in in a low spot.

I wish we had constant water flow. In south Louisiana everything is always drought or flood.

LBrown59 said:
Bad idea with ditches that are to deep.

I guess I should have mentioned that our ditches also have to follow code, being the right depth and level for water to drain.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #23  
tallyho8 said:
I wish we had constant water flow. In south Louisiana everything is always drought or flood.
I guess I should have mentioned that our ditches also have to follow code, being the right depth and level for water to drain.
Around here they just seem to size the culvert according to the size of the ditch where the culvert is being burried never mind that the ditch is 4 times bigger there than it is anywhere else.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #24  
JimR said:
The ditch is only 32" deep. It is a little bit short of the 36" minimum that I need for a 24" pipe. I will have to dig it out a little bit to get at least a 12" cover over the top of the pipe.

More.. You are required a 3" drop from road, back towards ditch. If you make it even with road, and water runs onto the road from your property, you are creating a road hazard for winter purposes. When I worked Holland hgihway dpt, we put 14" of Amrec processed over a 24" pipe and never had a problem after, regardless how heavy a concrete mixer or other truck weighed. I would have the "new" bottom of the ditch at 41" and you would meet codes. Don't forget to make some kind of headwall, even if with rip rap.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #25  
LarryRB said:
More.. You are required a 3" drop from road, back towards ditch. If you make it even with road, and water runs onto the road from your property, you are creating a road hazard for winter purposes. When I worked Holland hgihway dpt, we put 14" of Amrec processed over a 24" pipe and never had a problem after, regardless how heavy a concrete mixer or other truck weighed. I would have the "new" bottom of the ditch at 41" and you would meet codes. Don't forget to make some kind of headwall, even if with rip rap.
There are 3 or 4 places between here and the 2 miles into town where water runs into the road from peoples property but it seems I'm the only one the state ever reminds about such water run off.
Water has never ran of my property on to the road but I'm the one who gets the reminders while the state looks the other way concerning the other places draining off onto the road.
The state's certainly making their best effort to protect others from me but who's protecting me from them ???????????

LarryRB said:

Yup, you are so right. We don't want water running into the road. I have a ton of flat rocks that I'm saving for the ends of the pipes to hold back the fill.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #27  
JimR said:
Here's the area that I need to put the culvert pipe into. I just measured the height of the road from the bottom of the ditch. The ditch is only 32" deep. It is a little bit short of the 36" minimum that I need for a 24" pipe. I will have to dig it out a little bit to get at least a 12" cover over the top of the pipe. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to dig it out. Oh well, at least I have until next summer to dig it deeper. I cannot mess with this now as the water runs into a drinking water resevoir. I do believe as mentioned by Egon that the secret to success is to campact the soil as much as possible around the pipe to shift the load to the banks instead of the pipe. I won't be using this road for at least a year after it is done. I want it to settle fully before driving over it. I do have the proper permission from the Con Com, DCR and Highway Dept. to install this pipe.
Holy cow! Utility poles close to the roadway between the roadway and ditch! Yikes!

64998d1164385845-burying-plastic-culvert-pipe-dsc00917.jpg

Jarrett said:
Holy cow! Utility poles close to the roadway between the roadway and ditch! Yikes!

64998d1164385845-burying-plastic-culvert-pipe-dsc00917.jpg

That's how they are done around here and everywhere else in N.E. Over the last 30 years I have pulled at least a dozen vehicles out of this ditch during the wintertime when there is snow on the road. Not one of then has hit a pole yet.

/ Burying plastic culvert pipe #30  
All of the poles are like that on the River Road where I live. Cars hit one every week. All the poles have dates on them. I checked the dates on 16 of them in my block and none were older than 4 years old. People don't drive too well around here. Do y'all have daiquiri shops with drive-up windows?
:rolleyes: