tornados and severe storms

/ tornados and severe storms #11  
Kendall69,
Welcome to TBN. Right after reading your post I looked over to the left to see where you are from. Sadly it dosn't show. if you go to up on top fo the webpage here and click on My home you can enter what part fo the country you are from. it is jsut a nice neighborly thing to do. it is more fun to read the psots when you see generally where peopel are from. Based on your comment i would say you are in California.

/ tornados and severe storms #12  
Kendall69 said:
Anyone want some of my 125 degree plus temps and earthquakes?

Where do you live, Kendall?

/ tornados and severe storms #13  
Speaking of damage. The wife and i just drove back thru the area that had the bad tornado damage in fl just recently. it's just amazing to see the huge swath cut thru a forested area, and to see oak trees that are 3' diamater.. twisted into 'rope'.. Still lotsa tarps on roofs in that area...

Soundguy

MossRoad said:
We just drove around yesterday looking at tornado damage in our area (northern Indiana) from three or four years ago. It is still quite evident. As a kid living in the woods, I feared the wind more than any lightning, rain or snow. 46 years in Indiana and I have never personally seen a tornado, but been missed by them by less than two blocks on more occasions than I can recall. The reason I have never seen one is because I go in the basement and don't come out until it is over!

I think no matter where you live in the good ole' USA you will have some sort of random act of nature, be it flood, fire, wind, snow or earthquake to deal with.

/ tornados and severe storms #14  
I enjoy a little variety in my weather too. I'm with Soundguy though on the damaging winds. That and ice make me nervous. I've got about 10 enourmous pines right next to my house. Worry about them all the time.

But still, one of my favorite things in the world is to sit on the south facing porch of my cabin with a cold beer and watch thunderstorms roll in on a summer evening. The lightning puts on a show like nothing else (we get a lot of cloud-to-cloud lightning). The storms cool off a hot summer evening in minutes. The smell of ozone. Great stuff.

We have tornados on occasion. Lots of sightings, lost of warnings but very few significant tornados. Its hilly so they don't last long and are usually small. Its been about twenty years since we had a serious one. But I can still remember the path it cut through the woods and the big white farmhouse that sat up on a big hill completely blown away (even the foundation piers) and the big oaks next to it it twisted off about 10 feet up.

/ tornados and severe storms #15  
it is more fun to read the psots when you see generally where peopel are from

Rox , witness relocation prevents me from posting my location permanently in my home page :)

I live in Southern Ca. Desert, Coachella, Indio - close to the Mexican boarder.
Gets so hot around here in the summer, if you set a wrench down while working on something, it gets too hot to pick up with your bare hands.

Best way to explain the heat. When you bake cookies in the house and open the oven door, and that blast of hot air that hits you from the oven, that's what it feels like going outside, or opening your car windows while driving.

Around here they have examples of flat melted movies in VHS format, that people left in their cars a day too ling before returning it to the rental store, with signs that say DO NOT LEAVE TAPES IN CAR!!!.

But I still have to say, yep I'll take all this any day over hurricanes, snow blizzards, and tornado's. Since there is no "perfect" place we all have to put up with something - we could be in Baghdad.....

/ tornados and severe storms #16  
Not past tense, but PRESENT. We're getting pelted with 65 knot winds, Over 1" rain in the last 1/2 hour, some wicked lightening, and HAIL. Just pea-sized here, but the TV guys are reporting golfball sized hail just up the road. 80 degrees 2-1/2 hours ago. 54 now.

YEP! It's APRIL!

/ tornados and severe storms #17  
80 degrees 2-1/2 hours ago. 54 now.

It's 81 degrees here NOW! And I just, in the last 10 minutes, closed the windows and turned on the air-conditioning for the first time this year! There are a few severe thunderstorm warnings in the area, but our forecast is still only for a 20% chance. At least the high temperature for tomorrow is forecast to only be 66.

/ tornados and severe storms #18  
It's -2C and clear, no rain, no wind, no poisonous snakes or no alligators, usually not too hot in summers (which is fine by me) pretty boring but I'll take it over the severe weather any day. We had a cat 1 hurricane three years ago and that was enough for my liking. I'm stilling cleaning up from that one. Pluses and minuses to any place you live and I've adapted to mine as I'm sure everyone has.

Steve

/ tornados and severe storms #19  
Starting to get into our dry spring season here on the Gulf coast. Of course, got an April Fools joke Sunday, Over 4" of rain at the regional airport, but only .02" at our airport near Mobile Bay. Had reports of over 12" up I-65. Am amazed I still have hair after that day.

Steve

/ tornados and severe storms #20  
Well I believe that if Colorado makes you happy I would move back. My Uncle was here from Colorado this weekend (he moved there 1 1/2 ago) and was telling me he would love to move back to Illinois. I have traveled over alot of the U.S. not all but alot and I have found there is no place like home. Some people move away and love it others get home sick. Sounds like maybe you are getting home sick. I like Illinois we have all types of weather so you don't get tired of it being nice all the time or cold or rainy. We don't have big earth quakes so far anyway, no poisonous snakes that I know of. We do have a tornado or two a year but I can live with that.