tornados and severe storms

/ tornados and severe storms #21  
46 years in Indiana and I have never personally seen a tornado, but been missed by them by less than two blocks on more occasions than I can recall.

55 years in Kansas which seems to be known for nothing but Dorothy and tornadoes and I personally have never seen even a funnel cloud, let alone a tornado. Although, I have been very, very close to them. Back in the family trucking days, I was somewhere near Beatrice Nebraska one night driving in severe weather. The traffic came to a sudden stop, and someone from a few cars in front of me came back and asked, "Did you see THAT??? A tornado just crossed the road in front of us!!" That same night, slowly meandering my way to Clay Center Kansas, I drove thru Blue Rapids and one other town that had their tornado sirens screaming. When I reached Clay Center, I was totally exhausted as I had been up well over 24 hours and driving hundreds of miles in severe weather. I slept in the truck and when I woke up I'd left the marker lights on and it wouldn't start so I walked towards the local co-op to see about getting a jump. The entire main street was a disaster zone. I remember walking by the bank which had its entire facade ripped off and the alarm was ringing. A tornado had come thru in the night and I slept thru it. I never heard a thing. This may have been the same night the big tornado went through Xenia, Ohio.

I watched one on radar while waiting for take off at Midway airport in Chicago in the early '90s. We watched it build from a small cell into a giant storm with the classic pork-chop shape and get stronger and closer. We were departing runway 31L which gave us a bird's eye view of this storm. When the radar was filled with nothing but purple, we were cleared for takeoff. My response was, "Uh, no thanks. We're going back to the gate." This was the storm that went through Joliet, Aurora, Plainfield and was VERY strong. We flew over the path of that storm later that night. It started its run on the ground somewhere near Decatur IL and it scoured a path over the ground (even where there were no buildings or trees) that could be seen for months afterwards.

/ tornados and severe storms #22  
CP1969, i had to chuckle reading your story about sleepig through a tornado. It is one of those "strange but true" stories.

Deer755- I am quite familiar with the illinois seasons aren't they, Fall, Winter. Spring and Road Construction?

Kendall69- What kind of work is available in that kind of climate. i bet there are not to many "Boom Towns" there must not even be any agriculture industry. And you like it that hot? Well let's say you tolerate it enough so that you liek the other things oher than the extreem heat. nobody could like it that hot. saying tong in cheek becasue i don't want this to seem as a personal attack, which it isn't. Personlly I think you are crazy to live int he desert. Said in a very nice way, not a mean or demeaning way.

/ tornados and severe storms #23  
deere755 said:
I like Illinois we have all types of weather so you don't get tired of it being nice all the time or cold or rainy. We don't have big earth quakes so far anyway, no poisonous snakes that I know of. We do have a tornado or two a year but I can live with that.

Uh, ever hear of the new madrid fault? If not, look it up, then shudder. YIKES! :eek:

:D:D:D:D

/ tornados and severe storms #24  
It started its run on the ground somewhere near Decatur IL

It was DeKalb, not Decatur. Decatur is nowhere near where that tornado ran. I had the "D" part of it right; nothing else.

/ tornados and severe storms #25  
cp1969 said:
We were departing runway 31L which gave us a bird's eye view of this storm. When the radar was filled with nothing but purple, we were cleared for takeoff. My response was, "Uh, no thanks. We're going back to the gate."

I was called to fuel a "death tube" (Merlin) at the gate in South Bend. I pulled up, lightning was about 2 miles out and getting closer. I shut off the truck, grounded it and went inside the main terminal to wait it out. The pilot asked why I wasn't fueling it. I told him the lightning was too close. He said some choice words and told me he'd fuel it himself. I went out the door after him, lightning hit the tower, he patted me on the back and we went back inside. :D

/ tornados and severe storms #26  
MossRoad said:
Uh, ever hear of the new madrid fault? If not, look it up, then shudder. YIKES! :eek:

:D:D:D:D

That is why I said so far. My wife insisted we take out earth quake insurance because of that fault line

/ tornados and severe storms #27  
Having traveled a good bit, I love western Idaho just north of Boise. Yes, it get some snow, but I can grow tomatoes and corn if I want. If I had to choose a "no snow" area it would be around Tucson, Arizona. I like it alot better than the Phoenix area, too many people for me and 10 degrees hotter. Funny about Arizona is the further south you go, the cooler it gets. Nogales, Bisbee, Wilcox, all are very nice areas and good climate. No bugs to speak of either. Las Cruces, NM is a great place; college town and close to the mountains, great weather. I'd take a hurricane any day over a tornado. At least witha hurricane, you know when and where it's coming and you can perepare or go somewhere else. A tornado sneaks up in the middle of the night and scares the heXX out of you or worse. No thanks. I worked 3 years in Ohio and spent most every spring in a shelter at the RV park. If I lived in tornado country, I'd have a nice storm cellar and live there every night during tornado season, only way I could sleep.

/ tornados and severe storms #28  
Mechanic, I understand where you're coming from.........

I moved from KC to Colorado Springs for a number of years, and from there to California, finally settling in San Diego where I lived for about 20 years. I'm back in Kansas now, wishing I was pretty much anywhere but here........

/ tornados and severe storms #29  
I'd take a hurricane any day over a tornado. At least witha hurricane, you know when and where it's coming and you can perepare or go somewhere else. A tornado sneaks up in the middle of the night and scares the heXX out of you or worse. No thanks.
I don't like either storm but at least with tornado they come in quick and leave just as fast. Hurricane's you get to watch as they lumber this way and that while you wonder/worry if it is going to hit you. And when it does hit, it takes hours of waiting for the danged thing to leave. When its gone it takes out a good part of any state it crosses.

At least with a tornado I can drive a couple miles and find power, fuel and food. With a hurricane I might have to drive for hours to find power, fuel or food....

I'm so touchy about wind storms after Fran that I wake up and stay up until the storms pass. We had one a month or so ago that woke me up early in the morning. I went and watched the radar until it had passed and I could go back to sleep.

I hate bad weather. Used to love bad weather, now I have too much to loose....

Later,
Dan

/ tornados and severe storms #30  
The best thing about north Fla is that if you dont like the weather just wait 5 minutes, it will change. I know the feeling of sleeping through a twister, got paged out one night for a fire call we were enroute when the dispatcher told us to slow down the tornado had made a u turn, I was like what tornado? she said the one that caused the fire your respnding too:eek: :eek:. I have been out in hurricanes, assisting motorist, clearing trees from roads ect. I have been out in floods that washed highway bridges away. I have been in 100+ degree heat in full gear fighting fire. And been out in 0 degree weather with fires or wrecks. I love to watch the lightning, if Im at the beach and its out over the water not causing me to have to work.
I was born in upstate NY and couldnt wait to leave moved down here at 14 and would never move back into the cold.