OSHA at work?

/ OSHA at work? #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
Below are pictures of the two push button PTO shafts that I have. The one that has a very prominent button in yellow color is about 2004ish vintage. It's very easy to use and goes onto the PTO shaft like a greased pig.

The other picture of the black end is the new one for my bush hog. Apparently OSHA has dictated that the push button be recessed now. Ever try to push a recessed button? In the picture, I've glued a silver knob onto the top of the button. It is now easy to push.

I complained to the sales person about the non ergonomic collar connector that he provided 2 years ago on my new bush hog. It's an absolute beast to get onto the PTO shaft because you have to pull that collar back while pushing the whole mess onto the PTO shaft. OSHA probably loves this thing though. There are no protruding buttons to get snagged onto things. Well, what do they thing the PTO shaft cover is for?

Anyone else have any thoughts or curses for those collars?

Ralph

Attachments

• Push button connectors (1).JPG
    Push button connectors (1).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Push button connectors (2).JPG
    Push button connectors (2).JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 400
   / OSHA at work? #2  
If they really bother you that much replacement yokes are available in the aftermarket in the style shown in your photo on the left.

/ OSHA at work? #3  
Does your shaft cover actually cover the entire yoke? The ones I've seen are shy of the release pin. I think that's the concern.

/ OSHA at work? #4  
My finish mower has a twist lock on it with no protruding pins. I actually like it.

/ OSHA at work? #5  
Below are pictures of the two push button PTO shafts that I have. The one that has a very prominent button in yellow color is about 2004ish vintage. It's very easy to use and goes onto the PTO shaft like a greased pig. The other picture of the black end is the new one for my bush hog. Apparently OSHA has dictated that the push button be recessed now. Ever try to push a recessed button? In the picture, I've glued a silver knob onto the top of the button. It is now easy to push. I complained to the sales person about the non ergonomic collar connector that he provided 2 years ago on my new bush hog. It's an absolute beast to get onto the PTO shaft because you have to pull that collar back while pushing the whole mess onto the PTO shaft. OSHA probably loves this thing though. There are no protruding buttons to get snagged onto things. Well, what do they thing the PTO shaft cover is for? Anyone else have any thoughts or curses for those collars? Ralph

Could you please show me the OSHA regulation thar requires the PTO connector to be like you say?

/ OSHA at work? #6  
Never saw that new style. You sure OSHA is requiring if? I still see new stuff with the extended button

/ OSHA at work? #7  
Never saw that new style.

Looks like an Ag Master shaft. the replacement complete PTO shafts that A&I sells have those yokes pictured on the right. I think they are a big improvement over twist lock or ball sleeve types.

/ OSHA at work?
I was wondering. The one on the left is what my sales person got for me to replace the collar one.

Next time, I'll have the pictures to tell him that I want the one like on the right.

BTW, the metal PTO cover covers that part of the shaft.

Now, I know maybe not to complain to OSHA about this. Their site is down to do this.

Ralph

/ OSHA at work? #9  
I never had any issues with the ball collar I had on the jd261 mower.

The key to any of them is to keep them well lubed. They can all seize and/or be a pain if neglected

/ OSHA at work?
The collar type is an ergonomic mistake. Period.

Ralph