OSHA at work?

/ OSHA at work? #11  
I had a twist lock once and it was the easiest to operate of any I have found. My bush hog now has the spring collar that you have to pull back while pushing on the shaft. It is the hardest one I have ever seen and the spring must require at least 50 pounds of force to move.

On the ones in the first picture, Why do you have to push on the needle pointed end when the opposite end has a large flat end to push on(even though you never need to push on it). This is the stupidest design I have ever seen and always leave indentions on my thumb when trying to hook up an implement with that type.

/ OSHA at work? #12  
It's easy to blame OSHA (government), but perhaps the manufacturer decided to save $.07 with this modification or had a lawsuit and the lawyers said change it. Facts first, not speculation.

/ OSHA at work? #13  
Oh no! The OSHA boogie man!

OSHA has nothing to do with the design of this PTO. They are concerned only with the actions of employers towards their employees.

/ OSHA at work? #14  
I was wondering. The one on the left is what my sales person got for me to replace the collar one.

Next time, I'll have the pictures to tell him that I want the one like on the right.

BTW, the metal PTO cover covers that part of the shaft.

Now, I know maybe not to complain to OSHA about this. Their site is down to do this.

Ralph
Ralph sounds like the troops are getting feisty. I agree with you now add the distance to pto with the Quick hitch cover to the pto dropping just when both hands are wrapped around release of coupler .
Trying to get the black cover to release breaks the retaining ring attached to shaft .

I ended up buying a replacement at Farm store just simple push button and easy removal. When selling the bush hog will have almost new drive shaft on the unit.
ken

/ OSHA at work? #15  
Clearly *****'s fault! :stirthepot:

/ OSHA at work? #16  
Those big plastic collars y'all have on your PTO shafts; I thought they wuz jest packaging and I always throw them over the creek bank. Should I leave 'em on thar? Looks to be kindly in th' way to me.

prs

/ OSHA at work? #18  
Those big plastic collars y'all have on your PTO shafts; I thought they wuz jest packaging and I always throw them over the creek bank. Should I leave 'em on thar? Looks to be kindly in th' way to me.

prs

Sounds reasonable to me. PTO safety is so very simple: stay the he!! away from it when it is running and no guard is needed. I'm not about to take mine off cause I have no reason to but if they do ever come off, I highly doubt that they will be going back on.

/ OSHA at work? #19  
It might be a ANSI standard and not a OSHA requirement.

/ OSHA at work? #20  
Sounds reasonable to me. PTO safety is so very simple: stay the he!! away from it when it is running and no guard is needed. I'm not about to take mine off cause I have no reason to but if they do ever come off, I highly doubt that they will be going back on.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Totally agree! I was once chastised here for pointing out that a properly shrouded PTO hides the fact that a rotary cutter's blade is spinning after you've turned the PTO off and presents a greater danger that someone may be injured by the still spinning blade.
I got an answer like "Never remove PTO guards, they're for safety! They prevent people from getting wrapped up. Your spinning blade example is ridiculous because people should know to stay away from spinning machinery!!" -Uhhh, you just contradicted yourself!