KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #11  
IF you feel it is your place to tell them....go for it, but be prepared to him not receiving it kindly.

When my son was ~3-4, he rode with me on my lap. Now hes in school and daughter is 3, she has rode with me on occasion. If anyone were to say anything, I'd politely tell them to mind their own business and to get off my property.

Kids also ride with me on the tractor, picking up rocks, taking rash down to the shop dumpster, moving dirt, grading the drive, etc etc. Same with the ATV.

Oh, and my son who just turned 6. He is a pretty good shot with HIS 22lr that was bought for him last year. Even the 3 year old daughter enjoys shooting it (though all she does is hold and squeeze trigger, I do the aiming.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #12  
Not a wise move, bet the kid (or the father for that matter) aren't wearing any kind of PPE, at least wear ear plugs and glasses..
I see a guy every week mowing with.... his wife sitting on the edge of the mower.

Not sure if he likes or or not!

Haha!! He's probably henpecked and she's being the back seat driver!!I can hear her now...

Her: "George, you're getting too close to my dogwood I planted last month"! "Now you're throwing grass clippings all over my nice, clean flower beds"!!!! "Stop doing that"!!!

Him: "Yes dear"!!!!

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #13  
If the first time we met you told me I shouldn't have my kid on the mower I would be offended. First impressions are very important as well as getting along with your neighbor. I'd just keep my mouth shut until you know him better.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #14  
I'm amazed that in this day and age people on this thread are defending riding a mower, while mowing, with a child on their lap.

It's stupid and dangerous for no good reason. The kids don't know better, but you should.

I have a "neighbor" who does this on a regular basis. When I say neighbor, I mean a guy who lives a couple of miles down the road from me, who I've never met...not many people live out here. I always shake my head and think how stupid he is when I see it, and he provided more proof a couple of weeks ago. I went past his house and saw he was using the FEL on his Kubota BX to lift up the riding mower. I got a good look at it, and there were no jack stands, or anything else, but sure enough, he was lying under the mower working on it. Again, I shook my head at his stupidity. The next day I forgot to look on the way to work, but on the way home, the riding mower was still suspended from the FEL of the BX....he left it like that over night. Suspended load, nothing to prevent it from falling, leaving it suspended over night...the list goes on. The one thing I will say is that he's fat enough the rider falling on him probably wouldn't kill him.

Natural selection never stops working.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #15  
I'm amazed that in this day and age people on this thread are defending riding a mower, while mowing, with a child on their lap.
snip...
I'm with you. Over 30+ years I have seen countless tragedies involving tractors, mowers, and farm machinery as a firefighter. Here's one to think about (happened): Ultra cautious tractor operator routinely gives 4 year old son rides on tractor. Son views tractor as a fun toy. Runs up behind dad while he's doing tractor work and gets backed over. Dead. No do-overs.
My daughter and I have had plenty of fun times over the years, but not one with her riding on machinery. When she was old enough I occasionally allowed her to operate tractors, which infuriates my wife (wife is not allowed on equipment).

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #16  
IT just goes to show how different people are raised, and how differently we want to raise our own kids.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #17  
IT just goes to show how different people are raised, and how differently we want to raise our own kids.

So, freedom? ;)

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #18  
We should probably delay letting kids walk till they are mature. Falling and hitting the head can be serious!

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #19  
How I live, and raise my kids, may seem strange and dangerous at times to someone from the city, or even a different part of the country. Just as I find things strange, and dangerous at times, some of the stuff that goes on in the "city".

I dont live in a bubble. And I am not gonna raise my kids in one either. Riding on a lawnmower with dad is probably alot safer than letting kids play in the yard in some parts of urban areas.

/ KIds DO NOT belong on lawn mowing equipment #20  
Coming from a family that lost two children in separate tractor accidents, I get it where people have concerns with children and tractors. My family learned a hard lesson, my uncle most of all. They were his children.

With that, it is not my place to judge or confront someone on how they live their lives. If asked, I'm more than willing to assist others. If assistance isn't requested, I view it as obtrusive on my part.