Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #11  
I took a piece of 3" back flexible drain pipe and cut it to fit over the spike. It's a couple of inches longer then the spike, and seems to work fine. I leave it on whenever I'm not using the spike.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?
How about a piece of pvc pipe with a cap on the end to cover the point

Plastic pipe. Really? That is the best you can come up with?!

No matter; it is pure genius. I made it in 5 minutes. It slides on super snugly. The cap is so thick that there is no danger of it being penetrated. I even had some heavy pipe that should stand up to being driven over.

Thanks so much! I値l post a pic tomorrow.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #13  
I always like it when I'm driving down the road and meet a tractor with his bale spear right at windshield level. They would be a good prop in a Stephen King movie. :eek:

To the OP, thankfully you weren't seriously injured.

I am doing well. Could have been a terrible thing. Glad to be able to learn from my mistakes and maybe help someone else

C77A0214-ED83-4FBE-8345-AAAC60A56A04.jpeg

Slips on snugly. Won’t slide off.

I will paint it with plastic paint to slow UV. Will be nice to store as well.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #16  
I was going to say pipe but I'm late to the party. What I usually use is an orange highway safety cone. I just slide it over the spear so it's blunted and highly visible. I started doing this when I saw my dogs running around near the spear when it was sitting on the ground behind the shed.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #17  
I have a 3point spear, but it comes off of the tractor when not in use and it either gets stuffed into a hay bale, or tucked under the tongue of the round baler.

Aaron Z

I have a 3point spear, but it comes off of the tractor when not in use and it either gets stuffed into a hay bale, or tucked under the tongue of the round baler.

Aaron Z

As did I. This happened as I was returning from feeding and stopped at a gate on a steep incline.

I really like your signature quote.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #19  
Well as usual I'm late to the party but I was going to suggest asking your local FD for any decommissioned fire hose. Cut to length then just duct tape, staple, bolt, glue, or whatever one end shut and make a scabbard for it.

Glad you weren't hurt.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #20  
Plastic pipe. Really? That is the best you can come up with?!

No matter; it is pure genius. I made it in 5 minutes. It slides on super snugly. The cap is so thick that there is no danger of it being penetrated. I even had some heavy pipe that should stand up to being driven over.

Thanks so much! I値l post a pic tomorrow.

Looks good, But still waiting for my check :D