Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #21  
Maybe I'm too late but, buy a package of 3/4 copper pipe insulating foam and a roll of bright orange duct tape with a cord hanging from the top spear to the lower spears. Make the cord long enough to catch a bale and pull off and replace when finished.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #22  
I always like it when I'm driving down the road and meet a tractor with his bale spear right at windshield level. They would be a good prop in a Stephen King movie. :eek:

To the OP, thankfully you weren't seriously injured.

You might have an idea there for the next Zombieland, and maybe a Vampire movie...

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #23  
Well as usual I'm late to the party but I was going to suggest asking your local FD for any decommissioned fire hose. Cut to length then just duct tape, staple, bolt, glue, or whatever one end shut and make a scabbard for it.

Glad you weren't hurt.

I know that you already found a solution that works for you, but if there's someone that wants to try the fire hose solution- go to repurposedmaterialsinc.com, and on their website, they have retired fire hose in a whole range of diameters and lengths.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?
Thanks again. The pipe is working perfectly.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #26  
How about a piece of pvc pipe with a cap on the end to cover the point

X3 to get all the tips. The other two would be nasty if fallen onto.

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #28  
I know that you already found a solution that works for you, but if there's someone that wants to try the fire hose solution- go to repurposedmaterialsinc.com, and on their website, they have retired fire hose in a whole range of diameters and lengths.

This is great advice. Honestly, the fd generally don’t like people dropping in and asking for old hose. This kind of goes along the lines of people filling a pool and asking the FD to do it for a donation. Might be ok in really rural depts but not common in most places anymore. Someone has to pay for the water and the city or water dist isn’t getting that money

Leave the fireman alone unless you want to take them ice cream or cookies

Brett

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas?
Update: When I removed my handy pipe cover - it was filled with water. Be sure to add weep holes. I will try and keep you informed.

My bottom stabilizers are pretty innocuous. They MIGHT hurt a shin - but it would take some work.

You folks do realize that I am really stepping out posting in 'Safety' with my profile pic…

/ Bale Speared - effective end cover ideas? #30  
Update: When I removed my handy pipe cover - it was filled with water. Be sure to add weep holes. I will try and keep you informed.

My bottom stabilizers are pretty innocuous. They MIGHT hurt a shin - but it would take some work.

You folks do realize that I am really stepping out posting in 'Safety' with my profile pic?/QUOTE]

Hadn't noticed, but you made me grin when I just looked at it ;)