WR Long valve or diverter

/ WR Long valve or diverter #1  

bigboyga

Tractor
Kubota L4600
i have a kubota b7800 and plan on installing a tatro grapple but i need help with setting it up. i have spent hours reading up and i still havent read everything. should i go with a diverter switch setup like with a floor dimmer switch, button switch etc, or the wr long valve/switch? or is there another option i missed?:confused:

/ WR Long valve or diverter #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

Just to clarify: WR Long has both types of valves. One is called a "diverter" and the other is often called a "3rd function valve"

As you already found out, there are HUNDREDS of threads on this...But here is my opinion:

For the Kubota's and other non-JD tractors, the 3rd function valve is the way to go, and WR Long often has kits that include everything you need for the install making it very user friendly for the installer.

For the JD's, due to the fact that they mount the FEL valves on the tranny and the power beyond connections face the rear of the tractor I think the diverter is the better choice just due to the simplicity of the install.

Just my opinion...Worth what you paid for it;)

/ WR Long valve or diverter #3  
I just had a WRLong third function (electric over hydraulic) valve installed for my grapple. Works great. A very clean installation. The kit included everything you need. The only issue could be the type of quick connect couplings that come on your grapple. Make sure you order the same style couplings on both ends. Most grapples come with "flat face" skid steer type, whereas most tractor hydraulics seem to be the Ag style. I'm sure WRLong could send whichever you choose.

/ WR Long valve or diverter #4  
Hi bigboy and welcome to TBN,
I know you are interested in the WR Long valve.
As Kenny explained, WR Long has kits that will fit your Kubota. I would personally go with the 3rd function solenoid valve that can be controlled with a rocker switch from your joystick handle. I did not get the complete kit but I believe it would contain the solenoid valve, the subplate, hoses, a joystick handle for for the FEL and brackets. You can contact Nelson Long directly for information about your tractor and what exactly comes with the kit. He is very helpful.
Contact him here via his company:
Nelson V. Long
W.R.Long Inc.
Tarboro, NC
W.R.Long the 4N1 Bucket People
Office (252) 823-4570

The reason I like the 3rd function electric over hydraulic valve over the diverter valve is that it's joystick operated via a bush button. All your FEL and grapple controls are together and they all can work at the same time. A diverter will usually take the place of the bucket curl so that function is out of play while using the grapple (whichever one you use to divert). Many guys prefer that method too and that works for them just fine. But if your tractor hydraulics have enough flow (probably not though) you can enjoy true 3rd function control of your grapple with the thrid function valve. I found I can use my grapple at the same time as my FEL curl and lift by "feathering" the FEL valve. That way the grapple will also work at the same time.
Here is a video of my tractor working the FEL functions and the grapple at the same time. It takes some getting used to, but it can be done. Since this video several years ago, I installed a larger gpm pump and now I can do it easier.
Rob-

/ WR Long valve or diverter
thanks for all of your advice. i am working on getting prices for the wr long electric valve and plan on purchasing that. i purchased my grapple thumb from andy tatro this morning. $430 for that and it looks like $520-620 is the going price for the wr long valve.

/ WR Long valve or diverter #6  
Don't forget the option of just using the rear remotes. Controlling a grapple is pretty simple and many people do it with remotes.

I've used remotes and the WRLong diverter valve. Bang for the buck is clearly with the remotes. About the same speed and accuracy too.

Having said that, from my perspective now after having used both remotes and a diverter, if I were to do it over again I would either choose the remotes (for economy) or jump right up to the electric over hydraulic (3rd function). I don't think the diverter is worth the money.

/ WR Long valve or diverter #7  
thanks for all of your advice. i am working on getting prices for the wr long electric valve and plan on purchasing that. i purchased my grapple thumb from andy tatro this morning. $430 for that and it looks like $520-620 is the going price for the wr long valve.

Andy's prices have gone up since I bought from him several years ago.
But he makes an excellent bucket grapple and it should fit your tractor nicely. One other thing to consider is the do it yourself route. There's quite a bit of money to be saved buying the components yourself and doing your own custom installation. You'd have to make your own brackets for the up front hoses but still, the savings was worth it to me.
Here is a thread you might want to read.
It's about building the grapple from scratch and installing all the hydraulics, valve, joystick and hoses. I have links to where you can get everything and how to do the installation. It is for my wife's tractor, a 28hp Jinma 284. It's my wife Loretta's thread.
My Very Own Grapples
This one is where we add some other mods to her tractor.
Of most interest will be using re-usable hydraulic hose ends. You can use them to make your own custom hoses exactly like how you want them. Again, there are links to how you do it and where to get the stuff.
New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma
Those may help you out? Both threads have lots of photos.
Rob-

/ WR Long valve or diverter #8  
I have the WR Long 3rd function valve on my tractor. I noticed I can close/open the grapple, FEL curl and lift all at the same time. However, my tractor will not do all those actions at once...unless I bump the engine RPM's up so the hydro pump to put out more pressure/volume. Just idling or slowly running will not be enough pressure to operate all those functions...Just like what Rob said. It is a nice feature to be able to operate all those at once. Good for cleaning/picking up small piles of dirt, (with the 4in1 bucket), etc.

I ordered the 3rd function WR Long valve and and a wr Long tooth bar. I am sending it in to my dealer tomorrow to have it installed. I can't wait!

Thanks for all of your help. I LOVE my grapple and wr long 3rd funtion valve.:D I wore the fresh paint off of it today in about 3 hours! Works great for picking up dead pine trees and debris. If I would have known how nice this was I would have done it right away when I got my tractor. Just for others interest I wanted to post the cost because I looked all over and had a hard time getting a ball park figure online. Tatro grapple w/cylinder $430 delivered, WR Long 3rd function valve w/bulkhead quick connects $735 installed, WR Long toothbar $273 installed. $1500:cool: