Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,061  
And here's why some of HF's stuff is 'Not Sold In California':

SacSmog9-21-11.jpg

Smog masks downtown Sacramento on Wednesday, seen from El Dorado Hills. The region's air quality agency had forecast an unhealthy level of ozone, but readings fell short of that threshold. A similar warning continues today with a "Spare the Air" advisory against outdoor activity for at-risk people and recommendations to cut back on driving.

Read more: Capital swelters again with summer's eighth 100° day - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Link to photo.

Link to article

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,062  
Taxation of Internet sales is a big issue here. If California could force out-of-state vendors (ie Amazon) to collect state tax on sales to Californians it would go a long way toward balancing the state budget. Of course California-based businesses are pressuring the legislature to get this enacted so their customers don't have an incentive to buy out of state.

Or............... the state government could just spend less.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,063  
Or............... the state government could just spend less.
It's not state government; that works pretty well. (Lower # of employees / population etc). It's what the elected state legislature directs them to do. The legislature here is poor comedy and that's on a good day. I attribute the cause to big money contributions>misleading political ads>clowns elected by ignorant voters who don't realize these clowns don't have anyone's interest in mind except the narrow interests who bought and paid for them. Result: Way too many unfunded mandatory programs and no way to pay for them.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,064  
The supreme court ruled that states couldn't force stores in other states to collect taxes unless they had a physical presence in that state. Cal (and a few other states) have tried to expand the definition of "presence" to include almost anything that could remotely count.

What's going to happen if it's allowed to stand is that on-line retailers will just move to states like New Hampshire that has no sales tax and just not have any connection what so ever in any other state. Great for NH and the few others. What we may see is Amazon fade as their presence in CA will force any company selling through them to pay taxes.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,066  
I bought this LED work light a while ago, but gave it a test today when I was fixing my dishwasher. This thing lit up the underside of the appliance like daylight. The magnet on the back is quite strong and the square shape allows you to position it better than a flashlight, which usually rolls out of place. It goes on sale for $3 occasionally.

27 LED Portable Worklight/Flashlight

A couple of these on my RPOPS give me good light for occasional use in taking the trash down to the road on trash night, and they aren't obstructed by the FEL bucket.

They'll do for now, at least until I figure out my [more] permanent aux. lighting plan.

I keep another in the under-the-seat tool box on the B2320 for necessary use at night.

Thomas

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,067  
A couple of these on my RPOPS give me good light for occasional use in taking the trash down to the road on trash night, and they aren't obstructed by the FEL bucket.

They'll do for now, at least until I figure out my [more] permanent aux. lighting plan.

I keep another in the under-the-seat tool box on the B2320 for necessary use at night.

Thomas

So, how do those project? I have been trying to get lights on my ROPS for a while. Every time I mow, the tree branches beat the heck out of what ever I put on the ROPS. I was thinking something with a magnet mount could be attached for when ever I drove at night or needed a work light. If these run for 48 hours on a set of batteries and have good projection, I may just buy a couple of these for moving snow this winter.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#2,068  
So, how do those project? I have been trying to get lights on my ROPS for a while. Every time I mow, the tree branches beat the heck out of what ever I put on the ROPS. I was thinking something with a magnet mount could be attached for when ever I drove at night or needed a work light. If these run for 48 hours on a set of batteries and have good projection, I may just buy a couple of these for moving snow this winter.

I haven't tried mine on the tractor, but I suspect they won't throw a beam very far. They do provide intense light up close, though, like in an engine compartment.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,069  
I haven't tried mine on the tractor, but I suspect they won't throw a beam very far. They do provide intense light up close, though, like in an engine compartment.

At the tractor travel speeds I use, they don't have to project more than a couple of lengths in front of me, but I don't really plan to use them for any long term basis- or for complicated work.

That said, they are pretty bright, and the cheap-asian-sourced-alky-batteries they came with have yet to need replacing, and I haven't limited my use of them to lighting the once-a-week trash runs. They are my grab lights- usually kept in the console of each of our vehicles for quick lighting needs.

So I don't digress too far, I'm planning to get hold of, and try one of these:

Grip Tools 72 LED Magnetic Light Bar | 37199 | Grip Tools

to see how it works and if it's as good for it's size as the others, I'm dedicating a couple for the tractor's soon-to-be "possibles"/tool box.

Later gators!
Thomas

Attachments

• 29-4615.jpg
    29-4615.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 153
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #2,070  
Moly grease sounds like a good idea. Surely its better than what the factory used.

A while back the Chinese tractor owners were commenting on the mystery fluids used for factory fill, and everyone agreed it was important to drain that stuff immediately. This is probably a good idea for HF power tools too. :D

Are you implying that they may be whizzing in the gearboxes???:D