reduce heating bill with Wood Stove

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #171  
I guys I have finally found how I will do wood next year. Using water totes
will stack wood in the tote and when I need more wood on the deck will place tote on deck. Easy to cover and stack in will great way to handle wood and the wood that is not the shed I will stack in tote and store under the over hang of my barn to keep dry. I can get at least 4 of these on my deck and once wood is cut not handle it again until it goes in the stove!

So where do you find those? Looks perfect!

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove
I go to craig list we had a guy sell some for $40 and a friend of mine
took 5 I bought 3 and he bought 2. he has never used his and I will buy from him. I will take the water tank out and use for me pheasant pen.

But search under water tote I believe capacity is 275 gallons. They do appear on craig lists and sometimes right out along the road. The best thing to do is keep looking on craig list as they will appear.

Here is one I found in VA. not sure if you are close to richmond but they
do come on craig lists from time to time.

275 gallon water totes
This one is $85 A LITTLE MORE then I pay.

Hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• watertoteva.jpg
    watertoteva.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 137
Hi guys well went thru one winter and it was mild and I worked away from home, from January thru March.
Not sure how much wood I burned but had some left over and maybe have about 7 cord cut split and stack for
this year. Went over to neighbors and took all her dead stand trees that we could safely cut away from her
electric fence so it would not come down in the winter and have horses get out. She got the trees cut for free
and I cleanup the mess and the wood. I only took stuff the bark was off of. So you know that is seasoned.

Last year I turned on my furnace in the morning to circulate the heat thru the house force hot air. Just needed
on for ten minutes and everyroom was same temp. I called my heating company and asked how much oil I used
last year and they said they delivered 96 gallons. And I still have 1/2 a tank.

In a normal year I go thru 2 1/2 tank so give or take 500 to 600(closer to 600) gallons fuel oil went as high as $3.80 a gallon.
So lets say the average price was $3.50 last year at that price for 600 gallons is $2100. That is what the stove cost last
so in one year the stove has paid for it self. I paid $1260 to have my stove pipe put in and materials. So about December
I will have paid for the stove pipe with the wood stove.

Am I glade I put in my stove? you bet!! I love it, when I come and I am cold I go stand on the slate hearth I installed
and it warms my toes and feet in a matter of seconds. I had slate floor installed under my stove which throws heat and the
floors have never been so warm before in that part of the house. My stove has a good burn time. I cooked on my stove last
year and would think of things I could cut up and place in a cast iron pot on the stove to cook for dinner. Also bought a water thing to
go on stove and scents to put in it. There watered scents you can buy at wally world for $2 orange, Cinnamon, apple,
pumkin, pine, lilac. So when you are not cooking on the stove there is a scent you can be simmering. On a cold winter
day you walk in house smells great, dinner is cooking, time to have a drink and relax. Get up in the morning fix the fire
have your coffee infront of a nice flame there is nothing like it.

Now I have enough wood for this year but will cut some this fall I see dead falls on my place and it is smaller trees
I love to burn round wood. I normally stack my round wood different from my split. I will do in the fall after the leaves
go off as it is easy to see around trees once we have a frost and cooler to work. I pretty much had all my wood
cut and split before the end of June. I do some when it is cool, and if you keep at it a little a time it gets done.

This post was fun and it talks about my education on wood stoves and wood. I do have a different idea for
bring wood onto deck using my tractor and something built. I am going to have my amish guys make it. Lord their 13 kids are
better Carpenters then most adults and they work for $15 an hour. I have most of materials laying around here so it will not cost me
much. I will take the materials to them and they will build at their own time. Then I will trailer home.

I pack the stove at night with the round wood. During the winter I always get up to go to the bathroom,
(it happens to everybody as they get older) I walk over to wood stove and throws some logs in if I feel like,
or if it is real cold out. Having a ranch all one floor is great an open floor plan lend it self to heating with
wood stove.

But what I really love is never hearing the furnace come on in the middle of the night and thinking it would
never go off and wondering how much fuel is in the tank and how it will cost to get it fill next time.

I am waiting to fill my tank as I want mostly kero in the tank as I have an outside tank and not using
the furnace much afraid of problems. When I burned furnace all the time I never worried I had two line system
and never had a problem.

Hi guys well went thru one winter and it was mild and I worked away from home, from January thru March.
Not sure how much wood I burned but had some left over and maybe have about 7 cord cut split and stack for
this year. Went over to neighbors and took all her dead stand trees that we could safely cut away from her
electric fence so it would not come down in the winter and have horses get out. She got the trees cut for free
and I cleanup the mess and the wood. I only took stuff the bark was off of. So you know that is seasoned.

Last year I turned on my furnace in the morning to circulate the heat thru the house force hot air. Just needed
on for ten minutes and everyroom was same temp. I called my heating company and asked how much oil I used
last year and they said they delivered 96 gallons. And I still have 1/2 a tank.

In a normal year I go thru 2 1/2 tank so give or take 500 to 600(closer to 600) gallons fuel oil went as high as $3.80 a gallon.
So lets say the average price was $3.50 last year at that price for 600 gallons is $2100. That is what the stove cost last
so in one year the stove has paid for it self. I paid $1260 to have my stove pipe put in and materials. So about December
I will have paid for the stove pipe with the wood stove.

Am I glade I put in my stove? you bet!! I love it, when I come and I am cold I go stand on the slate hearth I installed
and it warms my toes and feet in a matter of seconds. I had slate floor installed under my stove which throws heat and the
floors have never been so warm before in that part of the house. My stove has a good burn time. I cooked on my stove last
year and would think of things I could cut up and place in a cast iron pot on the stove to cook for dinner. Also bought a water thing to
go on stove and scents to put in it. There watered scents you can buy at wally world for $2 orange, Cinnamon, apple,
pumkin, pine, lilac. So when you are not cooking on the stove there is a scent you can be simmering. On a cold winter
day you walk in house smells great, dinner is cooking, time to have a drink and relax. Get up in the morning fix the fire
have your coffee infront of a nice flame there is nothing like it.

Now I have enough wood for this year but will cut some this fall I see dead falls on my place and it is smaller trees
I love to burn round wood. I normally stack my round wood different from my split. I will do in the fall after the leaves
go off as it is easy to see around trees once we have a frost and cooler to work. I pretty much had all my wood
cut and split before the end of June. I do some when it is cool, and if you keep at it a little a time it gets done.

This post was fun and it talks about my education on wood stoves and wood. I do have a different idea for
bring wood onto deck using my tractor and something built. I am going to have my amish guys make it. Lord their 13 kids are
better Carpenters then most adults and they work for $15 an hour. I have most of materials laying around here so it will not cost me
much. I will take the materials to them and they will build at their own time. Then I will trailer home.

I pack the stove at night with the round wood. During the winter I always get up to go to the bathroom,
(it happens to everybody as they get older) I walk over to wood stove and throws some logs in if I feel like,
or if it is real cold out. Having a ranch all one floor is great an open floor plan lend it self to heating with
wood stove.

But what I really love is never hearing the furnace come on in the middle of the night and thinking it would
never go off and wondering how much fuel is in the tank and how it will cost to get it fill next time.

I am waiting to fill my tank as I want mostly kero in the tank as I have an outside tank and not using
the furnace much afraid of problems. When I burned furnace all the time I never worried I had two line system
and never had a problem.

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #175  
Good for you!

For me though I will gladly pay for Natural Gas! As a kid helped my father cut, skid, stack, split, trailer, stack and take in wood way too much.

My time is not free and I can be doing something much more productive with my time than aforementioned.

I have a co-worker that is forever cutting, scrounging, fixing, sharpening, borrowing stuff to get his wood ready for winter. What he doesn't take into account is the investment of all that equipment and time spent doing this to "save" on heating costs.

Me I'd rather go fishing! To each his own.

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #176  
I have an outdoor wood boiler furnace. It takes up to 4' logs so I cut and split a little less than when I used my fireplace. I can set the heat at what ever I want to and I have not burned a drop of propane in 3 years. I pay a little electric to run a couple pumps and a fan. I actually enjoy the workout putting up wood. I can see in the future I will be back to propane as age catches up but for now, I love the work. I have a large woods to draw wood from and have plenty of dead falls to cut up. It's what I do when I'm not hunting and fishing.

Well I had the equipment all before I started to burn, the only thing I will buy is wood splitter this winter sometime or next spring.

I really do not have that many hours into my wood. When we cut down trees I bring them up to the parking area of my kennel
and cut and split them there and then get stacked. So if the wood does not need to be split it get stacked and that is the frist time I
handle it. We delimp the branches next to the burn pile and then bring the tree over and cut up and stack or split and that is it.
I would be surprised if I have more then 25 hours in my wood. I make a good living but, remember when you buy fuel oil that is
with after tax money so that is really is more then 1 1/2 times what you need to work to buy. And with the money I save in fuel
I can buy more toys. Saving for newer truck and want a 12 or 15 foot finishing mower next year. But you are right to each their
own. I did dread the work when I first thought about doing this but, sometimes I pay someone $10 an hour to do it for me.

BUT LOVE THAT WOOD HEAT!!!!

/ reduce heating bill with Wood Stove #178  
For me heating with wood has advantages in addition to saving money.

It provides a more consistent heat than the "on/off" of a gas, oil or electric forced-air furnace. Even when the thermostat has the wood fire damped down heat still circulates through the ducts.

Heating with wood disposes of trees which I need to cut to keep the trails clear and reduce the fire hazard.

Cutting wood, hauling, and splitting wood is great exercise. I think that is important for retired people like me and it is also important for people with sedentary jobs. Bringing wood in through the winter also encourages "outdoor time" one might otherwise avoid.

But for me, the main advantage by far is simply being in the woods, and my dog enjoys it too. I've never liked fishing, but I suppose it gives some the same satisfaction I find just being in the bush. I imagine most recreational fishermen don't do it to reduce food costs.

As you said ERichter, "to each his own".

I thought I would show the wood boxes we built this year. I have two of them lift on the deck with the folks of the tractor. One is 2 foot wide 3 foot high and 12 feet long. My other wood box is 10 X 2 X 3. Have metal roofs to keep rain and snow off and have wire on the sides to keep down mess and still hve wood season and dry. fall pics 010.JPGfall pics 009.JPGfall pics 007.JPG
My wood box should keep wood pretty dry and keep from making a mess on my deck. Pile in the box and lift on deck with forks and
no carrying wood.

I also had a 13 bird chukar today with guys with their own dogs. So I just snapped pic of them. Oct 7 Guy is using his field breed
red setter nice punch of guys. Love the every day working man would rather deal with 200 of them then two rich clients. Everyday
guys easy to please nice to deal with, good clients and love to talk dogs and hunting with them !!!!

I thought I would show the wood boxes we built this year. I have two of them lift on the deck with the folks of the tractor. One is 2 foot wide 3 foot high and 12 feet long. My other wood box is 10 X 2 X 3. Have metal roofs to keep rain and snow off and have wire on the sides to keep down mess and still hve wood season and dry. View attachment 283456View attachment 283457View attachment 283458
My wood box should keep wood pretty dry and keep from making a mess on my deck. Pile in the box and lift on deck with forks and
no carrying wood.

I also had a 13 bird chukar today with guys with their own dogs. So I just snapped pic of them. Oct 7 Guy is using his field breed
red setter nice punch of guys. Love the every day working man would rather deal with 200 of them then two rich clients. Everyday
guys easy to please nice to deal with, good clients and love to talk dogs and hunting with them !!!!