Snow Attachments PVC Pipe On Snow Blade

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #42  
Thought in 3' pvc schedule 20 was thin wall and 40 was thick.

Hmmm I'm not sure. :confused:

The pipe I'm familiar with is for Electrical use, not water (supply or drain). Maybe the term "thinwall" is given to the lowest grade of PVC pipe available in each line of work.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #44  
Well folks, here is what I have tried and tested.

1) Using 1 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC gray pipe on my 60" Massey plow.
a) Shattered at 40 feet on my gravel driveway.

2) Using 1 1/2" Schedule 40 ABS black pipe on my 60" Massey plow.
a) Splintered at 1000 feet on my gravel driveway.

Am I missing the boat here or do i need to go right to steel pipe? High Density Plastic? Larger diameter pipe? I know the 1 1/2 was very tight on the blade edge.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
   / PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
Well folks, here is what I have tried and tested.

1) Using 1 1/2" Schedule 80 PVC gray pipe on my 60" Massey plow.
a) Shattered at 40 feet on my gravel driveway.

2) Using 1 1/2" Schedule 40 ABS black pipe on my 60" Massey plow.
a) Splintered at 1000 feet on my gravel driveway.

Am I missing the boat here or do i need to go right to steel pipe? High Density Plastic? Larger diameter pipe? I know the 1 1/2 was very tight on the blade edge.

Thanks,
Mike

You are a candidate for steel. The use of plastics is not for everyone.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #46  
You are a candidate for steel. The use of plastics is not for everyone.

Thanks BP...problem is I have the dozer blade on and not the bucket.

I'm not sure I've seen any threads or posts of folks using the steel pipe on a blade (please prove me wrong). I've seen them for the bucket set up but not the blade.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade
Same principle. Slice a piece of steel pipe, and bang it on. Got to use a steel cutting blade or cutting torch, I suppose, but it's about the same deal.

With steel pipe, you could drill, tap and insert keeper screws (bolts) too. Some guys even use tabs to make a a solid fixture.

/ PVC Pipe On Snow Blade #48  
Here's a picture from an old thread on this site. I saved the picture but I apologize for not giving credit to the original poster.
After seeing this, I had planned on making something similar for my FEL snow blade. My blade has skid shoes but they sink into the loose gravel. I hoped to make a full length skid using a 3" steel pipe running parallel and to the rear of the blade much like this posted picture. I planned to have 1" solid rods welded upright off the pipe that would insert into the original skid shoe holders, held in place using pins just like shoes are held in. By tilting the blade back I could take advantage of the pipe, and tipping it forward would allow the blade edge to scrape paved surfaces. I never got around to making this, but maybe someone else has some scrap steel and wants to give it a try. It would look like this:
__|_________|__

Attachments

• snow plow skid.jpg
    snow plow skid.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 1,428