FEL Snow PLow size?

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
I'm going to start fishing on CL for an old plow to modify and adapt to the SSQA on my FEL. The question I had is what size is considered about right? It is a Kubota L3130 with Ags and the rear tire width is about 66-68".

I'm thinking 6' is not wide enough. Is 6.5' OK? Is 7.5' too wide? I think 8' is probably too wide, at least for my needs and space. I could add some wings if it turns out to be too narrow, but I'd like to get close out of the chute.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #2  
Depending on the amount and type of snow you want to push, and the surface (packed snow, dirt, concrete, ice), you will need MFWD, lots of rear ballast (weighted and filled tires and rear attached ballast), and chains on all 4. The front chains keep the yawing plow force from pushing the front end sideways.

For your HP, I think the 6.5; I pushed a 7.5 with an L5030 and that has a few more horse. With my L5740, the 7.5 is even easier.

Plowing with a tractor is about traction/weight and power since you do not move fast enough to fling it off of the blade.

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #3  
When plow at 45 degrees I have 8" of blade push be on rear tire.

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #4  
I have a 6.5 ft plow on my 3240 and wish I had a 7.5. I have a curve in my drive and the tires go in the yard because the plow isn't wide enough. I have no problems pushing snow with this plow and I'm set up about the same as you. I might try some wings for next year.

Jeff

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #5  
My vote is for a 7.5.

And that is strictly on popularity, because I have never had a FEL plow.

But the 7.5' plows are REALLY common and thus they are usually pretty cheap. Drop down to the 6.5 or 7 and they always seem to be more $$$. Kinda like 5' bushhogs are cheaper than 4'ers.:confused2: You should have no trouble picking up something like a meyer ST7.5 or ST90 (older but same plow) for $200 in pretty decient condition for just the plow ONLY. It is the pump, mount, wiring, etc that make them expensive. But the PLOW only with the older classic mount (2-pins @ 24" appart) are really common.

And if you need to, you can always cut that one down to 6.5 or 7' and still be money ahead:thumbsup:

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #6  
My vote is for a 7.5.

And if you need to, you can always cut that one down to 6.5 or 7' and still be money ahead:thumbsup:

This is the answer!

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #7  
I had a six ft.on a L3130,sub-frame mounted.A lot depends on the snow type,lite and dry snow a 7.5 would be o.k.,heavy wet maybe not so.FEL mounted moves you futher from the tractor and more leverage.Seven ft. would be a good compromise,also load your tires or add rear ballast.
My current is an eight ft.FEL mounted but my new tractor weighs 7000lbs.

/ FEL Snow PLow size?
Thanks for the responses, guys - Great help! Based on all this, 7.5' is probably the right zone. It may be a little bit big for the Hp I have, but I am aiming to upgrade the tractor sometime in the next few years too. Our snow is a mix. Dry in the winter, but sloppy in the spring fall. So we see the full range, but we usually don't get a ton. Average 60" a winter or thereabouts. The driveway has a couple of significant curves to it, so the extra width will help there (I didn't thank about that - thanks Jeff!)

Yes I have 4wd, loaded rears, and know I will need chains on all 4 (but don't have them now).

My plan is to do the 4shorts mounting method and tuck the plow in closer to the FEL SSQA mount. My plan is to pick up a used plow and bracket (hopefully with hyd angle cylinders already) and then modify it to mount onto a SSQA mount like Paul (4shorts) did. And yes, I know I need the plow only, not the hydraulics or anything else. That appeals to the cheap SOB inside me...

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #9  
You may not need chains;unless you get a lot of ice.With mine I could plow three feet of new/dry snow and never lacked for traction (with R1 AGs).

/ FEL Snow PLow size? #10  
I have a 7' old Meyer Plow on my Jinma 284. Its a heavy tractor, 3,003# alone. Add the FEL thats 800#. With me on it, loaded rears, wheel weights, 4 front suitcase weights, and a 7' grader blade on the rear its 5,600#. I have R1's and never meet a snow I could not move. Never needed chains either but its pretty flat around here. biggest hills are only maybe a 10% grade.

Chris