Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320 & Bobcat 763

Default Snow removal with grader blade

This past week, we encountered taste of winter for the first time since purchasing my B2320. We got around 5-6" of snow and unfortunately, the ground wasn't frozen. My home consists of a large driveway with 3/4" crushed stone. I was concerned about snow removal and purchased a 72" grader blade from Tractor Supply. I had read online and viewed videos of tractors using them for snow removal but this week as my first time out, I made a mess of my driveway. Granted the ground wasn't frozen.

I tried keeping the blade elevated a little but my driveway isn't entirely level and the first depression sent the blade pulling stone. Are there any tips? I had used a front mounted plow on an atv previously and it worked well. Should I weld skids on the rear of the blade?

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Snow removal with grader blade

A lot of folks (including me) have used rear blades to remove snow...I'm going to guess it's pretty close to the most popular way due to it's low cost (multipurpose implement).
    To minimize pulling gravel and digging in, push or pull the snow with the convex side of the blade. I don't have my blade any more (didn't use it much), but I normally pushed in reverse. If your blade will rotate 180 degrees, I suggest you drive forward (over the snow). That's easier on the lower links.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; 03-03-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typo correction
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

I live in TN so I don't have to deal with snow much but I have read where some folks have split 1 1/2~2" pvc pipe and slid it over the cutting edge of the blade. I have also read where the pvc sometimes shatters/sometimes not.

What few times that I have needed to plow snow I have used my landscape rake. It worked better than I expected.
    Chris

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD LA115, WH 244, WH 525 hydro-pops,Original Troy Built Horse 8 HP

Smile Re: Snow removal with grader blade

Quote Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post
    This past week, we encountered taste of winter for the first time since purchasing my B2320. We got around 5-6" of snow and unfortunately, the ground wasn't frozen. My home consists of a large driveway with 3/4" crushed stone. I was concerned about snow removal and purchased a 72" grader blade from Tractor Supply. I had read online and viewed videos of tractors using them for snow removal but this week as my first time out, I made a mess of my driveway. Granted the ground wasn't frozen.

I tried keeping the blade elevated a little but my driveway isn't entirely level and the first depression sent the blade pulling stone. Are there any tips? I had used a front mounted plow on an atv previously and it worked well. Should I weld skids on the rear of the blade?

Adding a set on pneumatic caster wheels on the back side of the blade works well as long as you use the lock valve to hold the blade in place.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Just let the snow build up until you have about 2" of frozen snow/ice as a base. Then start to plow it to the side of your driveway. When you run the blade at an angle it will also ride smoother.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

You also may try shorting the top link so it doesn't dig in as much.

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Skids may help when the ground is thawed but I wouldn't weld them on permanently.........I'd make them temporarily permanent so when the ground is good and froze you can use the blade without them

I have the same trouble with my box blade off the pavement......it works great but does do damage when not frozen
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

Silver Member
    Tractor
    IH 244

I just turn my blade around and it works great that way

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Quote Originally Posted by sierradmax View Post

I designed this up in 1989 when I took a welding class and I have used it ever since. Works like a champ!
    Slitting the pipe was the easypart. I used a torch on a track to slit it straight. Dealing with the residual stresses in the pipe that made it twist up took some work. The welding was the easy part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0186-jpg  

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040SUD

I use a rear blade as well, and I have a gravel driveway. It's not a perfect system. We spent some time every spring sweeping gravel back on to the driveway. One thing that helps as well is to angle the blade downward, so the cutting edge doesn't want to dig into the ground. To do this, shorten the top link as much as possible. Essentially, the blade kind of floats along the ground. That works fairly well. If the blade is angled so that it wants to cut into the ground, even frozen ground will shave pretty easily.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast