Loader Arm Stress

/ Loader Arm Stress #1  

xk49

Tractor
MF 2310 TLB
Well, after 189 views and no responses to my previous post let me just ask this:

What's the likely hood of damaging the loader arms if I mount a light weight snow plow to the the bucket for plowing? I have a GC2310 MF.

/ Loader Arm Stress #2  
Will it be mounted with a quick release feature should you hit an object hard that does not move that the blade will just pop off?

/ Loader Arm Stress #3  
Your setup would probably not stress the loader any more than using the bucket diging dirt. You will have to keep your speed low. If you want to barrel arse down the drive, better have a trip edge.... :) I figure you plan on putting the FEL in float to follow the contours of whatever... But a better setup is to suspend/lift the blade with a chain... maybe using the FEL curl to lift the blade... [ don't get much for two cents these days.. , but you are welcome to it :) ]

/ Loader Arm Stress #4  
I looked at your other thread also.

People are hesitant to tell someone to put a plow on the bucket, because it can cause thousands of dollars in damage in a heartbeat. We don't know your terrain, or even your loation.

If you have perfectly level goround, with no ditches/banks, tree roots or rocks sticking up, fenceposts, or even ice buildup from the county or state road.....you may be ok. No guarantees.

The better idea, is to hook the plow to the frame, and use the loader, with a chain, to raise the plow(if you don't think you have the electrical capacity to use the winch). Or you could just attach a piece of plywood to the front of your bucket and you have an instant plow for light duty snow pushing. The sideways forces from and angled plow can bend the small arms on the GC series.

As JerryK said...........go slowly if using a plow mounted to the bucket.

EDIT: here is the picture I was looking for. Post 14 in this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/159045-modify-snow-plow-tractor-2.html

Attachments

• 148958d1261045862-modify-snow-plow-tractor-snow-plow-06.jpg
    148958d1261045862-modify-snow-plow-tractor-snow-plow-06.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
   / Loader Arm Stress #5  
Well, after 189 views and no responses to my previous post let me just ask this:

What's the likely hood of damaging the loader arms if I mount a light weight snow plow to the the bucket for plowing? I have a GC2310 MF.

There are anecdotal stories about John's Sister-in-law's, first cousin's, best friend, Jack, ripping the loader arms off his skid steer with a loader mounted plow. However, there are literally hundreds of TBN members using loader mounted plows and dozens of different threads on the subject. Having read most of these threads over the last several years, I haven't heard of a single documented, first person case, where the loader has been damaged by use of a reasonably well designed plow.

When we designed the BXpanded Snow Plow, we incorporated trip springs for the inevitable cases where a rough spot, expansion joint or manhole lid might be encountered. We also included a shear bolt to minimize damage in the case of a serious off-center impact such as an encounter with a tree with the end of the blade. You can see the plow here BXpanded Snowplow It works very nicely on the GC series and most other tractors.
Harry
BXpanded

/ Loader Arm Stress #6  
The left front main cylinder on the FEL has been broken off where it pins to the bucket but they rewelded it very professional then replumbed it with black pipe instead of paying JD the price for new steel lines. When I got it both lines on the left side leaked at most of the pipe fittings but we took both off and got another turn or two at every pipe fitting and three years later they still do not leak.

I have no idea how it got broken but they are heavy on a JD 310B backhoe. I see no other damage so it could have been on another BH when it was broken?

/ Loader Arm Stress #7  
Our last tractor had a case / Ih 2250 loader, I think its rated at 4000 lbs lift? Anyways it had been broken and plated a few times. Fairly sure it was due to plowing with the bucket on the loader, a lot by the previous owner. Tractor had somewhere around 8000 hours on it.

I sometimes plow with the loader on my Kubota using the bucket but normally try to use my plow. The trip on the plow makes hitting rocks in the driveways and roads easier on the tractor and me. It can throw you right into the window hitting something solid with the bucket.

/ Loader Arm Stress #8  
I use mine all the time to plow snow. But i go slow and i have a pusher for it too. I havent had any issues with it yet but im also carefull what i do with it. If i dont think i could do it with my machine or was really worried, i would go borrow a payloader from my neighbour to get the job done.

/ Loader Arm Stress #9  
There are anecdotal stories about John's Sister-in-law's, first cousin's, best friend, Jack, ripping the loader arms off his skid steer with a loader mounted plow. However, there are literally hundreds of TBN members using loader mounted plows and dozens of different threads on the subject. Having read most of these threads over the last several years, I haven't heard of a single documented, first person case, where the loader has been damaged by use of a reasonably well designed plow.

When we designed the BXpanded Snow Plow, we incorporated trip springs for the inevitable cases where a rough spot, expansion joint or manhole lid might be encountered. We also included a shear bolt to minimize damage in the case of a serious off-center impact such as an encounter with a tree with the end of the blade. You can see the plow here BXpanded Snowplow It works very nicely on the GC series and most other tractors.
Harry
BXpanded

Dunno about skidsteers, but there have been a couple instances of the loader arms being tweeked on tractors, from using a plow.

I'm not saying not to use one, and I've thought about using one myself. But then I ask myself..........'Do I really want to risk it?'. The loader arms on these subcompacts are quite small, but then again.............I've looked at the BXPanded blade, and I'm impressed with it.

I have recommended the BXPanded blade in the past, but I cannot recommend anyone using any other blade on a subcompact bucket.

/ Loader Arm Stress #10  
If you buy a plow with a trip and don't hit anything you should be fine. Think about the stress the loader is under when you use the bucket.