South West Virginia Snow

/ South West Virginia Snow #91  
Well that was fun. The new JD CUT did better in the snow than my old JD monster with 2WD, but it clearly has its limits. I can see a set of tractor chains before next winter. I did plow the road out and back, but only took about 8 to 10 inches off the top. More than that on the hills would have the tractor's rear slipping sideways. Bucket was no good on hills, it just pushed up too much. However, I cut enough off so I could get the 4WD F-150 out if I had to, so it's all good. It was snowing so hard most of the time that I had to look down to steer. And the tractor sound kept knocking snow off the tree branches so I was completely wet in the first 20 minutes. It's right at freezing, so I was pretty cold.
Now sitting with a hot cuppa coffee and dry clothes at home. Still snowing, but slower. Snow2013.jpg

/ South West Virginia Snow #92  
Plowed 12 to 18 in this morning and it was all the little massey would do. I need a set of chains before next year too

/ South West Virginia Snow #93  
We got about 10" here in Raphine. I finally got to use the snowblower that I bought two years ago. The home made cab came in handy as well.

Attachments

• snow 3-6-13 009.jpg
    snow 3-6-13 009.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 167
   / South West Virginia Snow #94  
What snow we had didn't amount to anything, then the rain melted most of it.

/ South West Virginia Snow #95  
We got about 10" here in Raphine. I finally got to use the snowblower that I bought two years ago. The home made cab came in handy as well.

I like the snowblower, although I'd worry about picking up the gravel in my drive. You have any trouble with that over gravel? I am blind in an eye and trying to back up my drive to blow snow would kill me - and my neck. But the front mount models are horribly expensive.

/ South West Virginia Snow #96  
I like the snowblower, although I'd worry about picking up the gravel in my drive. You have any trouble with that over gravel? I am blind in an eye and trying to back up my drive to blow snow would kill me - and my neck. But the front mount models are horribly expensive.

My drive is also gravel, but is crusher run, which I try to keep graded & compacted. I bought the blower "used" and made new skids for it. The old ones were probably 3/4 to 1" wide, so I fabricated some about three inches wide and set the bottom of the blower about an inch and a half off the ground. After using it today, I was happy to find that I had no problems with the gravel. I'm sure it would have been better if the ground were frozen. I also cleared two of my neighbors drives with minimal ground disturbance. The height of the blower tended to leave more snow on the drive than when I use my front blade, but thats better than having to rake the gravel out of the lawn in the spring.
As you mention, the front mount models are more money than I can justify for one big snow storm every four or five years, so this was a compromise. My neck & back feel fine now, but I may not feel that way tomarrow. I need to figure out a way to mount a camera on the back, so I don't have to keep twisting side to side.

/ South West Virginia Snow #97  
We got about a foot I guess. I was hoping for more.

/ South West Virginia Snow #98  

Nice cab:thumbsup:
I did build mine too, lots of fun in the process.

/ South West Virginia Snow #99  
Nice cab:thumbsup:
I did build mine too, lots of fun in the process.

Kiotikarl, Thank you for the compliment. Its not as fancy as many that I've seen on TBN, but it was fun to build and serves its purpose well. That looks like a very nice job on your cab.

/ South West Virginia Snow
Snow in the forecast again after 75 degrees plus yesterday. Tractor is in shop this could be bad! Then more snow on the way by next weekend the winter that won't end