N.E. Blizzard of 2013

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #81  
I'm sure a full cab is nice, but they are pricey for a hobby user and I would be dodging trees all summer. That would be the advantage to me for a light-framed soft side that could be taken off, put on easily by one person.

Being retired, I can wait out the weather now until the nasty cab-worthy weather is over with. That makes a big difference too.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #82  
I'm sure a full cab is nice, but they are pricey for a hobby user and I would be dodging trees all summer. That would be the advantage to me for a light-framed soft side that could be taken off, put on easily by one person.

Being retired, I can wait out the weather now until the nasty cab-worthy weather is over with. That makes a big difference too.

Yes hard cabs run upwards of $10k and even an average one at $7k is a bit hard to justifie if you can pick your days. But snow needs to be kept ahead of and I'm getting too old to suffer needlessly. The soft cab I bought was a good comprimise, does a great job of keeping me out of the weather and can be zipped off in fifteen minutes in the summer when not needed. Also having the canopy and the cab on is a safety improvement. Just the other day while bucking back snow I caught a sapling about three inches through and twenty feet high with the corner of the plow as I backed up. I was looking backward watching where I was going when it caught and snapped off hitting the canopy with a bang and landing across the loader arms. That could have hit me in the head like a baseball bat without the canopy.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #83  
You guys have got to watch those trees , they are killers .

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #84  
Yes hard cabs run upwards of $10k and even an average one at $7k is a bit hard to justifie if you can pick your days. But snow needs to be kept ahead of and I'm getting too old to suffer needlessly. The soft cab I bought was a good comprimise, does a great job of keeping me out of the weather and can be zipped off in fifteen minutes in the summer when not needed. Also having the canopy and the cab on is a safety improvement. Just the other day while bucking back snow I caught a sapling about three inches through and twenty feet high with the corner of the plow as I backed up. I was looking backward watching where I was going when it caught and snapped off hitting the canopy with a bang and landing across the loader arms. That could have hit me in the head like a baseball bat without the canopy.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

That's a nice looking cab, and a good compromise on cost. Easy on, easy off, counts for a lot.

Yep, I have hooked saplings with the bucket while backing up and looking behind me. Suddenly, my hat and eye glasses are getting scraped off, turn signals turned on, and it's always a surprise it seems. :laughing: Sometimes the tree even takes control of the FEL joystick.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #85  
I have been hit in the head by a tree I was skidding twice. The first and last time.:confused2: Now that I have a 3pt, I can lift the butt higher and I won't be doing that again. It was only a 3"er. I can just imagine what would have happened if it was a bigger tree. I saw stars....I think if it was a bigger tree the tractor would have flipped backwards or worse case it would have killed me.