/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #71  
CJONE,

Did you say something about snow?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #73  
CJONE,

Did you say something about snow?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

:) Another 10" or so last night but the 30-50MPH winds did not help. I had to actually plow to get out of my drive. First time sence last year. CJ

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #74  
I had a foot to plow this morning, and I was not happy. Winds were gusting to 40mph, and snow was coming down fast (and still is). Plowing into the wind, I could not see and my face froze. It was 15* but I was glad it was not colder. Definitely going to have a cab next year!

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #75  
Definitely going to have a cab next year!

You won't be sorry. $1300 seemed like a lot for some naugahide and zippers last summer but every windy day out working the tractor this winter proves how good an idea it was. Whatever brand or level of construction you choose will be a huge improvement over facing that wind with a face mask.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #76  
You won't be sorry. $1300 seemed like a lot for some naugahide and zippers last summer but every windy day out working the tractor this winter proves how good an idea it was. Whatever brand or level of construction you choose will be a huge improvement over facing that wind with a face mask.

I was planning to build my own, but I think I'll buy Surplus Center's $599 Curtis cab and modify it to fit my tractor. It's a soft side cab, but has a glass windshield and rigid frame doors.

On a side note, our snowfall total this winter so far is around 90". Much better than last year's measly 60".

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #77  
I was planning to build my own, but I think I'll buy Surplus Center's $599 Curtis cab and modify it to fit my tractor. It's a soft side cab, but has a glass windshield and rigid frame doors.

On a side note, our snowfall total this winter so far is around 90". Much better than last year's measly 60".
That should work. Nothing wrong with build or custom fit your own. I was working full time last summer so had some cash flow so let my computer do all the work. It took less then an hour after UPS dropped it off to have it all on including the canopy which I didn't have with the original tractor.
I haven't checked the official snow fall tally but I expect I'm behind normal as two big storm events came as all rain. But to me that isn't plowing snow for income anything over a foot on the ground is plenty.

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #78  

I can't say enough good about the cab, anybody [well most] that knocks them does not have one. The benifits far far out weigh the couple of negatives? maybe one that I can think of. The coldest I have operated my tractor this year was -10f and the heater kept up on the lowest fan setting! CJ

/ N.E. Blizzard of 2013 #79  
I can't say enough good about the cab, anybody [well most] that knocks them does not have one. The benifits far far out weigh the couple of negatives? maybe one that I can think of. The coldest I have operated my tractor this year was -10f and the heater kept up on the lowest fan setting! CJ
AND could work in a 'T-shirt'. I love my cab. Glad I paid the extra 6G's for it.
Way back in the day 15 years ago I had an open station 1950 Farmall 'C' with a blade mounted in place of the bucket on the loader. I skirted the sides all the way back to fenders to give me a little bit of heat and when the snow piles got big enough I pushed the snow up and over the top much the same way you would do it with a wheel loader. Dangerous? YES! But you do what you gotta do to get the job done and have a place to put the next snowfall.
My little CK27 works good for snow with the front mount blower. I probably could have shelled out for the DK series, but it was a matter of the size of the property I would be working on and I figured the bigger tractor would be too big. My nieghbour has a small property with lots of tight spaces and she's got lots of work for me. She is also a good cook.