Snow Edge - worth it?

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #1  

E3A

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I'm going to be using my FEL for moving snow this year and would prefer not to scrape up the paved driveway too much. I've looked at the Snow Edge and also read about using ABS/PVC for a fraction of the cost. What are your experiences with either?

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #2  
I've used 2 1/2" ABS pipe on my loader for the past several years, I have a gravel driveway and the pipe helps. It does tend to pop off if you back drag. Simply cut a slit the length of the pipe (table saw) and bang it on. Good Luck
Harvey

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #3  
I tried the black ABS pipe on my back blade... Lasted maybe 15 minutes. Might be better on a loader, duno.

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #4  
EA3.

Funny you mention that. I ordered one and it arrives this week.
I have a FEL and a back blade. My driveway is paved and has pavers down either side so I wanted to be extra careful. It is also on an angle and curves. Not the best for FEL work. I'm no expert at FEL work, and the cost of this has the potential to be less work than fixing my driveway if I screw it up.

With the back blade I put a high density poly urethane (plastic) blade on it to replace the metal one. I ended up with no scratches or gouges out of the drive way. On the other hand.. my neighbour has managed to put some holes in his with just a FEL…

I decided to go for the snow edge this year to use my FEL to speed things up. There were times when my bx2670 couldn't pull all the snow. Those days when 2 ft + fell and you have a long run to do on your driveway.

My plan is to lower the FEL and push most of it out of the way. If the FEL touches no biggie, it won't scrape or dig in. The rear blade can just clean up the left over mess.

I can do some pics / video perhaps this year if people are interested.

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #5  
I have used rubber to make edges for grading blades. If you cut it a few inches wider than than the steel edge, and hang it down, it will fold over and prevent the blade from digging into grass or gravel. I like to sandwich the rubber between the blade and the steel cutting edge. On my old Fisher plow, I made an edge from a plastic deck board. It worked great all of last winter.

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #6  
If my driveway - one mile long - were paved and I was looking for ways to protect it from accidental digs, gouges etc - - I'd be looking for HD "skid shoes" for my bucket and rear blade. There are several models that bolt or clip on and would last a very long time without the worry of them wearing out. Something about plastic cutting edges doesn't give me a good feeling. The highway dept tried them and gave up - - then again that's a totally larger operation.

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #8  
I used 1.5" schedule 40 ABS on my FEL last winter. Plan to do the same thing this year. A 10' length of it at Menards is $5.84 plus tax. My bucket is 5' so I can get 2 pieces of it. I will probably try to have 8 or 10 pieces on standby for this year. Last year I went through 6 pieces of it. It makes a mess to cut it, so I want to cut it all at the same time this year. I get 1-3 snowfalls out of each piece before it needs replaced.

I tried a 2.5" schedule 40 ABS on my rear blade last year. I put some bolts across the ends to try to keep it from sliding off. It worked OK, but not what I had hoped. I think I'm going to do what DocDryden is planning on and use some stall matt on it this year. A buddy of mine already bought a piece of it (for the same purpose) and offered me a cut of his. Now I just need to find the time to get out there and pick it up.

Part of me is looking forward to a LOT of snow this year and the other part is wanting to move to Florida! LOL!

/ Snow Edge - worth it? #9  
This is what i did to the front of my blower. It would be the same on a loader bucket also. I welded five tabs to a 1.25" schedule 80 black iron pipe and bolted it to the existing cutting edge in five spots.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    678.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 258
   / Snow Edge - worth it? #10  
Part of me is looking forward to a LOT of snow this year and the other part is wanting to move to Florida! LOL!

Move to Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last winter we had was the FIRST WINTER I wanted to go to Florida (even though I had no place to stay, maybe I would camp out on the beach )