Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending?

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #1  

RockyNY

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010CH
My custom QA plow frame doesn't fit on my new tractor because the angled brace (the one I'm holding in the picture) interferes with the tubular loader support on the new tractor, not allowing the QA plate to sit flat on the loader. So I had to cut the brace off, but I'm wondering if I need to figure out a way to reinforce the horizontal steel tubes or if they're strong enough without the brace. They're 3x2" steel with 3/16" wall. I don't think weld points up front would break, if anything would happen I think the tubing would bend. Short term, I don't have a choice as I have to use the plow, I'm just hoping it doesn't get damaged. I'm not even sure how I could reinforce it if I wanted to, since the new loader allows no room at all for a diagonal brace like it had previously. What do ya'll think? Any ideas of reinforcing the horizontal tubes?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 304
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 366
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 254
   / Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #2  
Need a side view not so close up.

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #3  
Can you add a piece to the side of the bottom tube(to the outside),then a diagonal up the the SSQA plate.
I would want to reinforce it for-sure.

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending?
Can you add a piece to the side of the bottom tube(to the outside),then a diagonal up the the SSQA plate.
I would want to reinforce it for-sure.
That's a good idea, why didn't I think of it? Also thinking of welding a piece of thick angle iron the full length of the horizontal tubes, on the underside. Should help to stiffen things up.

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #5  
I had the same problem with my JD loader. I went the easy route and just stuck the plow out in front of the plate after I broke the initial 110v mig welds.

I had the same problem with my JD loader. I went the easy route and just stuck the plow out in front of the plate after I broke the initial 110v mig welds.

Yeah that would be the easy route, but I'm going to avoid it if all possible. I'm planning to use it as-is for the rest of the season, then make the reinforcements before next season. I had welded each tube to the QA plate in any area where there was direct contact to the plate, so there's quite a bit of weld. I have a 240v MIG welder.

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #7  
Was the original mount design for that plow supported by the lower tubes but now you've bypassed them by adding your QA plate? So now the lower frame is just there for the angle cylinders?

If your modified mount eliminated most of the forces that would have been seen by the braces you may not need them.

Was the original mount design for that plow supported by the lower tubes but now you've bypassed them by adding your QA plate? So now the lower frame is just there for the angle cylinders?

If your modified mount eliminated most of the forces that would have been seen by the braces you may not need them.

No, the forces are the same. The plow's A frame hooks to the back of those tubes (at the bolt you can see in the right side of the picture). All the force is right at that bolt.

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #9  
So in simple terms, if you draw a line from the point of force on the blade to the pivot point of the A-frame and multiply the force by the minimum distance from that line to the base of the "L", you have the maximum bending moment. I think the A-frame itself can see a similar bending moment where it attaches to the blade? If the L-frame is built a little heavier than the A-frame it looks like you're good.

/ Steel tubing strong enough to support plow without bending? #10  
Looks like the concern would be tearing the SS plate off. You have a 90 degree angle between the horizontal tubes and the SS plate that is vertical. And you are pushing pretty high up on the SS plate. With no gussets or diagonal bracing, I can see that angle becoming more than 90 degrees.

IF it was me, I would mount it up to the tractor, then find a place to add some type of brace that works around the loader frame.

Another suggestion. IT appears that the fittings at the angle cylinders are not high pressure fittings. Rather they look like galvanized water pipe fittings. They are not rated for hydraulic pressures. If that is the case, I would remedy that ASAP