Chains for Wet Heavy Snow

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #41  
Thanks, some good info, I wonder if Princess Auto carries that tool needed to open them side hooks.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #43  
I was able to modify chains using a bolt cutter to snip one side of the welded links, then twist them open using a vise and small pry bar. The joining links aren't welded, so you can open and close them with the vise and appropriate tools. I found you can easily weld up the cut links from left over side chains, after twisting them closed, but I wouldn't trust them with much of a load, I don't think. Remember, the wearing links on the cross chains are hardened- they often snap when twisting them open.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #44  
Thanks, some good info, I wonder if Princess Auto carries that tool needed to open them side hooks.

I don't believe Princess Auto carries them. I got mine from Western Equipment in Vernon, the same outfit that supplied my chains. Western Equipment's price was much cheaper than CanadianChains.ca. I think when I bought it two years ago the price for the large chain tool was around $70 from Western Equipment compared to over $100 from CanadianChains.ca. I bought bought the 8 bulk DUO patterns from Western for $175 which was 1/2 the price at Canadianchains.ca, and the price was the same ($22 each) when I bought two more patterns to close the end gap last spring. Similarly, CanadianChains.ca wanted $16 each for 10mm pin couplers(with no discount for shipping when ordering 4) while Western Equipment sold them for $4.92 each.

Another option to consider if you are unable to find local bulk DUO patterns locally is to see if CanadianChains will let you order 1/2 of a set of DUO chains that will give you the number of patterns you need. If they allow it, it would be cheaper than buying multiple single patterns. You can find the information on the number and size of DUO patterns by looking at the Quality Chain and/or LacLede catalogues available online. My chains started out with 7 patterns each and now have 12 patterns each.