Chains for Wet Heavy Snow

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #1  

tkcomer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R
I have a Case-IH DX-33 with 15X19.5 R4 tires. What is a good chain to put on this tractor for the wet heavy snows that we get around here? I have a gravel driveway, but the tractor can't get much traction because the tires will float on the snow and spin. Going uphill with the FEL is impossible. Are these a good chain to use in the conditions I have: Duo Ladder Tractor Tire Chains Thanks for any replys.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #2  
I can't help you with the chains but if you don't have the tires loaded, and it sounds like you don't, then you need to do that. Also a little ballast on the back wouldn't hurt.

I use R4's and have no issues or need for chains with the loaded tires and a 6 ft rear blade.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow
Rear tires are loaded. I use a 6 foot finish mower on the back for ballast. The tractor spins until it hits the ground, digs a hole, then lurches forward about a foot, then spins until it digs back down again. It won't even go uphill trying to push snow. It just digs the driveway up. Not to mention the yard when I go in it to dump snow.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #4  
Are you using 4wd? Is there any tread on the tires? I've never heard of anyone having that much of a problem. I just went thru the snowiest winter on record with mine and had no issues.

I hope someone can help you with the chain question.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #5  
How steep is your driveway? I'd go with the v-bar version or get the studded type chains

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #6  

Attachments

• image-1555287824.jpg
    image-1555287824.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 112
   / Chains for Wet Heavy Snow
Not that steep. But the R4 tires float on the snow. Then digs in. It doesn't help that the tread fills up with snow and makes it a round doughnut. I had a 2WD Case-IH 685 with ag tires. It would dig through snow. But I sold it when I sold the farm. I can remember when my dad put chains on an A International Farmall in heavy snow and mud to pull a wagon to feed cattle. Thats why I'm asking about chains for this tractor.

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #8  
might want to try siping (grooving) those R-4s. Do a TBN search on siping...lots of post and lots of good results!

/ Chains for Wet Heavy Snow #9  
The r-4 tire on my kubota l3400 are less than worthless in the slushy snow. I run 2 link v bars on the front of that tractor now with 0 issues in 5+ years.

I have a set of the duo v bar chains on my jd and I don't care for them. I run a aquiline talon chain type on the rears, I love those chains.