02017 Subaru Impreza

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #11  
The wife had a 2006 Forester which has cat problem and was replaced just under the 80K federally mandated emissions warranty. Now has a 2011 Outback 3.6R which burns some oil, but has 125K miles now without any major issues (knock of wood). Have a couple friends who bought an Imprezza couple years ago, no issues so far either.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #12  
Lot of misinformation in this thread.

• The Subaru 2.2L engine was just about bulletproof. Ditto the H6 (3.0 and 3.6L). 300,000+ without rebuild is pretty common.
  • The Subaru normally aspirated 2.5's in Outbacks have had head gasket problems right along. We had two of those cars, and replaced the head gaskets as a precaution at 140,000 miles. In the later models, Subaru extended the warranty to 100,000 miles on the head gaskets.
  • Only 2008-11 Imprezas have 2.5L engines. Older had a 2.2, the newer ones have the direct-injected 2.0 (which is even more economical). Because they are much lighter and aren't loaded down like pack mules, incidence of early head gasket failure is much lower in Impreza.
  • Some 2.5's burned oil. Subaru has warranteed those cars to 100,000 miles and will replace the engine at no charge. They will also do an oil consumption test for free. Some people don't know about this free recall so buyers are snapping up the oil burners cheap, then getting a new engine for free.
  • On high-mileage H4's, sometimes the front camshaft seals leak and push oil out the front of the engine. It drips down and the breeze blows it back to the crossover pipe, where it burns. But they aren't really burning oil, they're leaking it. Doesn't usually happen until at least 120K.

The source for Subaru data: 2017 Impreza Subaru specs, options, prices, dimensions, measurements and more And NASIOC.com (North American Impreza Owner's Club), though more focused on WRX/STI.

As mentioned, we had the head gaskets replaced on our 1997 Outback at 140,000 miles as it seemed prudent. We sold it to a SIL at 144,000. She drove it until 245,000, sold it to a neighbor, and it was still running at 289,000 when traded in.

My 2006 Outback 3.0R (6 cylinder model) has 214,000 miles. We had the head gaskets replaced at 198,000 as they were starting to go. Best car I've ever had.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #13  
My wife and I are considering getting a new car for commuting (57 miles each way), and we're considering the Subaru Impreza, because it gets good mileage (38mpg hwy) and is AWD. We have a 2004 Outback that's been great. But I've heard that new Subarus have problems with catalytic converters at about 80,000 miles. Does anyone know if this is still an issue? Does anyone have any experience with the Impreza?
Thanks!!

My sister just went through this process. She liked the Impreza, but decided to save money and get a Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.0L rather than the 2.5L because she really couldn't tell the difference for commuting.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #14  
Lot of misinformation in this thread.

[*]Only 2008-11 Imprezas have 2.5L engines. Older had a 2.2, the newer ones have the direct-injected 2.0 (which is even more economical). Because they are much lighter and aren't loaded down like pack mules, incidence of early head gasket failure is much lower in Impreza.

This is incorrect.
The 2.5 was introduced in the Impreza in 2002.
How do I know?
I own a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5 liter,non turbo.
Head gasket failed at about 60,000 miles but has been great ever since,now have over 130,000 miles on her.
Oil consumption has been consistent at about 1500-2000 miles per quart.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #15  
I went 2016 crosstrek. Still less than 1000 miles but first impression is very favorable.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #16  
2001 Legacy outback 4cyl 101,000Km nothing went wrong, we treated it for rust prevention when new and have no rust or corrosion, changed the exhaust system last year $600, catalytic converters still Ok, doesn't use any oil. Car at 1500Km was switched to synthetic oil and middle class fuel.
Here Subaru hold the highest resale value of ANY make, owners generally keep the car for more than 10 yrs.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #17  
What I really wanted was an all wheel drive Audi A4 but I bought a 2013 Outback because it's US made. (In Indiana, no less) I think they just started making the Impreza here too. And maybe Honda's CRV, IIRC. Not a big deal for most people anymore but all other things being equal...
That was a big selling point on me for Honda, built in Indiana, and Subaru, also built in Indiana.

In the end we ended up with the Honda because of fit and finish, reputation, Engine Choices, and feature.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #18  
This is incorrect.
The 2.5 was introduced in the Impreza in 2002.
How do I know?
I own a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5 liter,non turbo.
Head gasket failed at about 60,000 miles but has been great ever since,now have over 130,000 miles on her.
Oil consumption has been consistent at about 1500-2000 miles per quart.
That engine must have been manufactured by Saturn. I had two and both used more oil than gas.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #19  
That engine must have been manufactured by Saturn. I had two and both used more oil than gas.
Wow. My '99 Outback with the 2.5L (120k miles) uses some, but not much. I do an oil change the second time its down a quart, typically beyond 7500 miles. (That = 5000 miles between oil changes, no? :)

As someone noted above I think the oil is lost out the front crank seal, rather than getting past the rings.

/ 02017 Subaru Impreza #20  
They burn oil. I know people who have bought them new and complain about them getting rid of oil.