031 no power

/ 031 no power #1  

grease monkey

Tractor
1964 ford 5000 diesel
hi, just bought a saw on ebay, and i'm hoping its no big deal get it running like it should!
after a most ridiculous battle getting my saw home, the seller sent me another complete saw! USPS did not help AT ALL! they said "oh well"
anyway, installed the bar and chain, filled up both tanks, had to pull it over about 20 times, it finally decided to cooperate! it runs like its only half throttle, and checking the linkage it was about 3/4. so i fixed that, and its better, but still no power, revs ok in the air, but in the work, no power. put in a compression tester, 2 quick pulls got me 120 psi, ...good i figure!
kinda puzzled now! after tweeking the carb, it seems to idle nice, but reving up it seems to be lazy, and in the wood, just cant pull the chain!
dad thinks the drive sprocket size seems too big, but he's no sure. which would make sense for the power, but not the lack of revs it seems to be missing.
bought an 038 magnum II, and this saw rocks! holy crap! revs almost twice a high as that 031, which should be higher than the 038 right?? i installed a chain on the 038, that i custom sharpened to piss people off, i purposely ground the chipper chain o half tooth size, then filed the drags almost off! this saw spits out chips 1/2" long and fast! man, i can litterally bury my buddy's 041!
as a kid, dad had an 031, and i loved that thing, want this one to run like that!
any suggestions??

Last edited:
   / 031 no power #2  
Count the drivers on the drive spocket, it should be 7 and more will make the saw gutless. I'd really think your saw needs more fuel on the high circut, first try opening the high about 1/4 turn, if that doesnt change the way it runs your carb is clogged or maybe bad fuel lines. Steve

/ 031 no power #5  
I'm sure you've check the safety Kickback hasn't been knocked off,:cool:
just a thought;)

/ 031 no power #6  
I've found they all need the fuel line replaced with frequency these days. My Stihl and Husky saws are fine right now, but my Husky brushcutter needs the line replaced.

The gas with all the additives now days is terrible on small motor gas lines...

Ditto on the fuel line.. Sthils are notorious for that..

/ 031 no power #7  
hi, just bought a saw on ebay, and i'm hoping its no big deal get it running like it should!
after a most ridiculous battle getting my saw home, the seller sent me another complete saw! USPS did not help AT ALL! they said "oh well"
anyway, installed the bar and chain, filled up both tanks, had to pull it over about 20 times, it finally decided to cooperate! it runs like its only half throttle, and checking the linkage it was about 3/4. so i fixed that, and its better, but still no power, revs ok in the air, but in the work, no power. put in a compression tester, 2 quick pulls got me 120 psi, ...good i figure!
kinda puzzled now! after tweeking the carb, it seems to idle nice, but reving up it seems to be lazy, and in the wood, just cant pull the chain!
dad thinks the drive sprocket size seems too big, but he's no sure. which would make sense for the power, but not the lack of revs it seems to be missing.
bought an 038 magnum II, and this saw rocks! holy crap! revs almost twice a high as that 031, which should be higher than the 038 right?? i installed a chain on the 038, that i custom sharpened to piss people off, i purposely ground the chipper chain o half tooth size, then filed the drags almost off! this saw spits out chips 1/2" long and fast! man, i can litterally bury my buddy's 041!
as a kid, dad had an 031, and i loved that thing, want this one to run like that!
any suggestions??

If it is revving ok in the air and seems to have power until it touches wood you have either an air leak at the gas line, or line inlet or carburetor diaphragm. The first thing I would do however is check the muffler screen for carbon build up or wasp mud as this would be the simplest fix. Then I'd replace the lines as sometimes they'll be cracked so small as to be hardly seen. Be sure to check out that little tiny screen at the gas inlet in the carb. If it runs better with the gas cap off , it is a tank vent problem. Lastly, clean out the gas tank with fresh gas and swoosh it around a bit before you dispose of it. lf none of this works, rebuild the carburetor.

Last edited: