05 m5700 clutch problems

/ 05 m5700 clutch problems
I don't know answer,the tractor is 2 hrs away and owner hasn't told me yet,said he would have to look at papers,he bought the tractor new
papers are at farm and he's living 1.5 hrs away because he is losing farm
wish I had more info to give you
I did notice shifter boot was missing,could water in hyd fluid cause this problem?

/ 05 m5700 clutch problems #22  
I did notice shifter boot was missing,could water in hyd fluid cause this problem?

that is never good, particularly if stored outside.

/ 05 m5700 clutch problems #23  
hazer36
Is this tractor 2WD or MFWD? If 2WD I think that model came in only syncro-shuttle.

it was out in elements when I saw it,started engine ran great,loader worked very well,faster than my deere,problem was pulling decaker my friend bought from him up a small hill in snail 4th and it just stopped pulling,pushed in clutch pedal to shift gears and it would just grind,turned tractor off put in snail 1 and it pulled it uphill,decaker weighs around 4500lbs,also three point hitch went to top and would not come down,tried to turn knob under seat and it wouldn't turn,hyd filters looked new,by that I mean shiny and clean compared to rest of tratcor.
makes me thinks he may have tried fluid change or at least filters,sent a text asking,he never replied
I figure it will be expense repair

4 wheel drive

also reverser on dash seemed to work well,could feel it shift

/ 05 m5700 clutch problems #27  
I think your instincts are right - the symptoms line up with a synchro-shuttle with a severely worn out dry clutch disk. That would explain slipping in 4th but grabbing enough to pull somewhat in 1st (lower torque required to move). The clutch is too worn to drive normally and too ripped up to completely release - so it grinds when shifting. Tractor needs to be split. At the best only a clutch disk & release bearing is needed, but maybe a pressure plate (clutch cover), and resurfacing the flywheel. If you have a flat floor and a couple floor jacks you could split it yourself. Maybe get more eyes on the parts to decide what to replace.

The 3-pt speed control valve under the seat could just be over-tightened. Turn ccw to open. The hitch has draft and position control with external feedback rods, springs, etc. - something may be bent, broken, missing etc. sending it to the top.

With your posts today it sounds less huge, but still not a trivial repair.

Last edited:
would 10k be too much for tractor?

/ 05 m5700 clutch problems #29  
10k might be reasonable - it should give $6-$8k of margin for a repair you may be able to do yourself for 1/3 or less.

Keep in mind that free advice is worth exactly what it costs :)