06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #1  

kydick

Silver Member
Tractor
ford new holland
dont really know where to put this. have a 2500 2006 silverado 4x4 truck for the last 5 years. have lost 1 of the center caps. the fake nuts loosen up and the caps get loose. when i see a loose nut i just pushed it back in. didnt know they had threads on them. no flat tires to change in that time. get them rotated at service station. seemed like they just started coming loose all of a sudden. anyone know how to fix this problem? thought about using something like a drop or 2 of locktite on the threads. just wonder if i could take them off without busting them. i put this on TrucksByNet.com but hasnt had much activey. thanks

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #2  
The nuts on the caps are plastic. By pushing them in you have likely stripped the threads. Get replacements either at a junkyard or the dealer.

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #3  
Dorman makes the nuts too. You can get them by ordering at most major parts store chains or off Amazon.

Look up part numbers here. Runtime Error

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #4  
NAPA auto parts sells them also. When you have your tires rotated tell them to put the caps back on by hand not with the air gun. I have seen guys put them on with impact guns!!

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems
most likely what happened to mine.

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #6  
I use a socket by hand to snug the nuts on the caps down. Replace the stripped nuts.

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems
how to replace nuts? seems like you would bust the nut or tear the hole out in the cap pushing the nut into the hole.

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #8  
how to replace nuts? seems like you would bust the nut or tear the hole out in the cap pushing the nut into the hole.

To remove them they push through from the back side of the cap. You may have to squeeze or break off the tabs that hold the nut to the cap.

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #9  
Never use loctite on anything plastic, it will destroy it quickly.

/ 06 chevy 4x4 center cap problems #10  
Just a personal opinion. I would do an internet search for replacement center caps. Can't remember the name of the place but online. Cheaper (and excellent quality) than anyplace else, easier to order and customer serve (to verify correct part number) was excellent. If I have to replace my OEM I would never go to the dealer. If I remember correctly, from the dealer I believe it was $79. I bought replacements online for four for $80.