08 gmc 2500 HD

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #11  
Where I live, we've got ~ 50 rich punk teenagers driving around mostly in lifted Fords with powerstrokes & twin 6" stacks in the bed.:rolleyes: IMO, the stupidest abomination of a truck and a parent's money I've ever seen. They really look down on anyone with a stock truck or car, even if it's mom & dad's money that bought their 50K truck.
Who needs all that to drive to school or take the girlfriend out for a ice cream cone?

Most "grown-up" guys around here like farmers, mechanics & tradesmen that have common sense drive what they need, even if it's 4x2 gas powered.

Smart is buying what you realistically need, not capability you'll never use. I have a lot more respect for a guy that occassionally needs a tow strap for his 4x2. Smart is also a guy that has 10 grand more in the bank than a guy with a diesel with only 10K on the odometer or a guy with 4x4 that gets engaged 2x a year. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / 08 gmc 2500 HD #12  
We've got the same kind of kids around here. Dodges seem more favored by them though for some reason. It's fun to wave at them when they are slid off the side of the road somewhere stuck for rodding it around showing off.:D The independent welders running around are almost as bad. Chrome stacks on a welding truck:rolleyes:

The 2500 should handle most medium towing jobs without a problem. If you aren't planning on towing a lot it is getting harder to make the deisel pen out. I would think that the one that couldn't pull that boat up the ramp had more issues than just lack of hp. Taching 5 and not attempting to pull sounds like a serious tranny problem to me.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #13  
GreatWhitehunter said:
Well I've been following the v10 vs diesel thread below closely. Today my wife and I picked up here new gmc yukon with all the bells and whistles. Yesterday I brought my 04 250 psd in for service and found out my warranty had expired. So while at the gmc dealer today the 2500 hd caught my eye. Long story short the slt crew cab duramax on the lot was listing over $54k I almost fainted. The sales man suggested I try the 6.0 gas quad cab they just got in. It was the sle version but still well equiped. It had 3.73's in the rear and seemed very powerful and rode very well. So it looks like I could trade in my 250 for the new 2500 gasser and actually lower my monthly payment and have a full warranty and new truck. But( there's always a but) I'm concerned I'm going to be disappointed with the gasser after my diesel. I tow my dump trailer and tractor a few times a year and tow heavy. I looked quickly and it appears the 2500 was only rated 10K off the bumper. So my question is, is the gasser the right choice? I can't justify the diesel because of the price,maintence,and minimal amount of towing. Also it can be tough to find diesel stations when traveling an area I don't know. I'm looking for some advice. I should also mention this is a daily driver and I drive 50 mile to work daily. I also have a baby due soon so the crew cab would be handy.
My diesel has 50k on it and runs good but is maintence intensive.

Matt T.:D

So what's the cost to fix the PSD? Probably the cheapest in the long run. The GMC 6.0 is a powerful engine. I drove one in a big moving truck. I have a v10 (99) and I would say it ran with a little more power and got decent mileage. Now the new V10's are a totally different engine, 4 valve, more power, new tranny, get the 4:10 or better gears.

I will say in defence of my v10 the moving van was probably geared much better than my v10 with a 3:73 and 315 tires.

Of course remember diesel is $.50 more a gallon these days to.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #14  
Diamondpilot said:
I sold a boat to a guy with a 2003 2500HD. Long story short it would not pull the boat up the ramp even in 4 wheel low. Granted the boat weighed just over 15,000# but he said it would not move even though the tach read nearly 5,000rpm. So if you are towing your loads in a area with high grades and needing to move from a dead stop you will be in trouble.

Chris

Had the parking brake on did he? :D :D Even the parking brake can hold my truck in low range or at least the wheels will start spinning.

I've heard and seen some of the best stories that happen at a boat ramp. Forget to put in the plugs, forgot to untie the boat from the trailer, forget the parking brake, slipping back into the lake in a 2wd truck, missing the trailer.

You can make a day out of that!!

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD
The 250 was in the shop for some front end work. The warranty was honored for the work. The 6.0psd is a powerful engine. My last work truck had the 7.3 and the 6.0 is more powerful for sure. But the cost of diesel is ever on the rise and the 5 gals of syn oil I use ain't getting any cheaper. There's also the hassle of finding a diesel station on long trips. The crew cab would be a nice change and the warranty makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I'm not too worried about the pay back on the diesel. It's not a matter of affording it. I suspect jcm and I are in the same boat on the ability to afford vs need. I really like the new fords also but there's no v10's around. The 6.0 seems plenty powerful. I really liked the 3.73 rears as apposed to the 4.10's. The mileage and ride are better for the daily drive with the 3.73's. When I tow it's usually local and not too often. I do tow over 10k with the ford. So that is a concern.

Matt T.:D

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #16  
GreatWhitehunter said:
I really like the new fords also but there's no v10's around.

Many order a truck to their liking, ahh but then you have to wait.

GreatWhitehunter said:
When I tow it's usually local and not too often. I do tow over 10k with the ford. So that is a concern.

sounds like a perfect for a gasser, just drive a little slower when you tow and save money.

But if money is not an issue...go for it. It is with me. :(

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #17  
RobJ said:
Had the parking brake on did he? :D :D Even the parking brake can hold my truck in low range or at least the wheels will start spinning.

I've heard and seen some of the best stories that happen at a boat ramp. Forget to put in the plugs, forgot to untie the boat from the trailer, forget the parking brake, slipping back into the lake in a 2wd truck, missing the trailer.

You can make a day out of that!!

I am not sure about the brake but I ran into the same problem with a F-150 and a 8,600# boat back in 2001. I was at a lake in Kentucky and it must have been 105. Went to pull the boat out and it would not go. Put it in 4 wheel low, I always use 4 wheel high around the ramp, but it took everything it had to get it rolling.

In the spring its always fun to watch divorces in progress with the new boat owners hanging around the boat ramp. Its like Jerry Springer live...
Chris

Last edited:
   / 08 gmc 2500 HD #18  
Just talked to my dealer friend and he said you can buy a after market warranty for your current truck if that will give you a warm feeling.

Chris

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #19  
The fishing group I belong to jokes about watching the ramps on Memorial day weekend for entertainment.:D Never heard it termed "divorices in progress" though. Sounds good though.

/ 08 gmc 2500 HD #20  
Yes. Off the subject I sold a $70,000 boat to a couple. They went out and bought a new Chevy Avalanche to pull it with, probably another $40,000. Did they practice backing up or putting the boat on and off the trailer on a weekday when no one was around, you can guess the answer. They managed to get it in the lake ok, but I was not there to watch that so I am only guessing. Taking the boat out on a Sunday evening on Memorial Day Weekend was another show.

It was the first time and he was in the boat and she went to get the truck. She tried to back it down the ramp a half dozen times when she finally jack knifed it and damaged the bed side, bumper, and boat trailer. She got so embarrassed she put the truck in drive and left for a hour. Her husband was left in the boat steaming mad. She finally came back and he blew up at her. He jumped in the truck and did not do much better getting it in the drink. All in all it was a 2 hour ordeal watching them get the new toy out of the lake. To make matters worse my dad offered him $25,000 as is right then and there for the boat and truck. He did not think that was funny but the crowd did.

We never saw them at the lake again, my guess is it had to be sold in the divorce that followed.

Chris