08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #1  

CJ4

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC55 DA
Well gentlemen,

I've looked and read posts and specs for sometime now and would like to run some things by you all.

1. My wants and needs are for a 2 seater (4 or more occupant) machine. I've physically look at JD and really like them. I like the looks, the quality, the "kick the tires" of them, but they don't make a 2-seater so they're out.

2. Bobcat makes one but way out of price range (got a quote for $18k range)

3. Kubota IMO has a good machine as well but I just don't get the "gut" for it. (you know what I mean??? That "gut" feeling it's what I want). Again, mostly no 2 seater....(wonder if some of these manufacturers are missing the boat? Guess they're smarter than me tho)

4. It was narrowed down to the Kaw Trans Mule.....Looked at em, kicked the tires for a year now, like them ok. After driving one today I really didn't like the governed speed for sure, but I think I could be happy with it. I prefer the diesel, my wife tended toward the gas...I hate carburetors though, maybe theirs is ok.

Then I discovered on here that Polaris makes a new 08 Ranger Crew cab. Don't know anything about Polaris, for some reason though I've always had the impression that they were pretty quality built. I called around and since they are so new they are very hard to find in my area. I found one, a red one, my color, so I went to look at it. Here's my discovery:

1. Immediately the "gut" felt good. Ya know??? It's a beautiful machine. Wife went by later alone relunctantly and was so happy she did. Her response.....I love it!!!

2. In reading and comparing the specs to the Mule ........

Bigger fuel tank

Gas only , but Fuel Injected.

44mph vs Mule 25mph

40hp engine vs. Mule 18hp

Mule diesel has power steering now, Polaris don't.

Storage, style, design, quality of seats blows them all away. My wife even recognized this.

Bed does not however expand like the Mule into the back seat area.....no big deal to me really.

Polaris "lock n ride" sytem.....a thing where the bed has holes which you can buy so to speak "quick attach" accessories such as water jug holder, tool holders, gun racks, gas can holder and on and on.

Now here's where i'm not too sure........

1. Is their engine and tranny good?

2. Supposedly they have a electronic "AWD" which is true 4x4. I think a Positive track locking rear differential. Independent Rear Suspension which is suppose to be better......4 Wheel double piston caliper disk brakes.......

3. Not sure yet but salesman says he thinks 6 month warranty but maybe 1 yr...didn't want to mislead me on that but it was closing time and said he would find out.

I really think we've made up our mind but I just don't want to be surprised if any of you know something about the power train that I don't. They won't budge off list price of list price of $11,300 which is $700 more than the Mule diesel. The price difference really isn't that important to me but happiness with it is. Give me some talk boys!

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #2  
Give both of them a ride. The Ranger should ride a lot smoother then the Mule. The Mule has a workhorse reputation if you go that route so either one of these machines should make you happy. Just drive them and find some bumps in the road and have some fun.

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #4  
I have looked a both the mule 4 seater and polaris ranger xp 2 seater. Like you, I didn't know that polaris had a 4 seater until about 3 weeks ago. I have driven the mule and polaris 2 seat models. IMHO, the polaris just does nearly everything better than the kaw mule. My only reservation with the polaris 4 seater would be the overall length and turning radius. In tight situations such as trails, turning corner, turning around or getting hung up on something, the length of the polaris could be an issue. Otherwise, the ranger power, speed and suspension is just fantastic. Polaris ranger had a few initial problems but these have been corrected and seems to be a reliable machine. One review I read said the longer length of the polar placed the moter further back and was quieter to drive than others. My only regret is wish they put the 800cc motor in the ranger rather than the 700cc.:D The efi of the polaris makes for some easy starting in cold weather. I have heard of people putting power steering on the polaris.
If you want a smooth ride, power for about any situation including hills and towing, occassional speed, or hauling capacity, go with the polaris. Dealers are staying with the list prices because they are in demand.

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule
Thanks guys,

Radman, yeah......I am concerned about the length.....however, we have a couple of 4 wheelers for rough trails, will prob use the crew cab for working around the place....ie:dirt work, wife will use it mostly.....and the big use will be tooting around from place to place with tools and grandkids!!

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #6  
CJ4 said:
Well gentlemen,

I've looked and read posts and specs for sometime now and would like to run some things by you all.
---

I have been analyzing these things to death myself.

2. Bobcat makes one but way out of price range (got a quote for $18k
---
Agreed - Crazy Expensive.

3. Kubota IMO has a good machine as well but I just don't get the "gut" for it. (you know what I mean??? That "gut" feeling it's what I want). Again, mostly no 2 seater....(wonder if some of these manufacturers are missing the boat? Guess they're smarter than me tho)
------

I just can't get excited about the Kubota although it seems like a good machine. Like many Kubota products - things seem like after thoughts.

4. It was narrowed down to the Kaw Trans Mule.....Looked at em, kicked the tires for a year now, like them ok. After driving one today I really didn't like the governed speed for sure, but I think I could be happy with it. I prefer the diesel, my wife tended toward the gas...I hate carburetors though, maybe theirs is ok.
----

Carb is going to suck

Has Drum brakes vs. disc on just about everything else.

2008 model does have electric steering.

2. In reading and comparing the specs to the Mule ........

Bigger fuel tank
----
HUGE tank

Gas only , but Fuel Injected.
-----

Polaris has not had much luck in the diesel arena. It seems that John Deere is the only one with a decent diesel.

44mph vs Mule 25mph
----

I think they are both plenty fast. 44MPH - I hope they offer a limiter.

40hp engine vs. Mule 18hp
---

Wild eh?

Mule diesel has power steering now, Polaris don't.
----

I though all the trans miles in 08 had power steering.

Storage, style, design, quality of seats blows them all away. My wife even recognized this.
---

Dunno about this comment. I though how the seat bottoms go in and out on the Polaris was somewhat cheesy.

Also, the bench seats suck in comparison to the Gator seats in regards to support.

Bed does not however expand like the Mule into the back seat area.....no big deal to me really.
-------

I think that is a plus. I suspect the Trans Mule will be one serious squeaking, rattling SOB in no time.

Polaris "lock n ride" sytem.....a thing where the bed has holes which you can buy so to speak "quick attach" accessories such as water jug holder, tool holders, gun racks, gas can holder and on and on.
------

You can get these carries for a lot of different units. The polaris has it standard.

Price some of the accessories before you get too excited about it. It will take your breather away.

I hate the plastic bed - seems cheesey to me. People say they hold up, but oh well.

-----

1. Is their engine and tranny good?
----

Some of the best.

2. Supposedly they have a electronic "AWD" which is true 4x4. I think a Positive track locking rear differential. Independent Rear Suspension which is suppose to be better......4 Wheel double piston caliper disk brakes.......
--------

XUV has better ground clearance. Too many modes on the 4wd, 2wd, guess what mode, etc.

Regardless - it all seems to work on the Polaris.

3. Not sure yet but salesman says he thinks 6 month warranty but maybe 1 yr...didn't want to mislead me on that but it was closing time and said he would find out.
-----

Not sure

I really think we've made up our mind but I just don't want to be surprised if any of you know something about the power train that I don't. They won't budge off list price of list price of $11,300 which is $700 more than the Mule diesel. The price difference really isn't that important to me but happiness with it is. Give me some talk boys!
------

My dealers down ehre want $11,300 also. I am leaning towards a ranger crew. We have another kiddo due March 5th, going to need something the wife can run around in the fields with 2 kids.

In regards to all the other units out there for multi-row seating - Polaris seems to have them all beat. I wish the boys at John Deere would get it together.

D.

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #7  
I think the Ranger has the Mule beat in many ways, and it should for the additional cost. I've got a few opinions about the Ranger and Mule that I'll just throw out without taking away from either machine.

Mule and Ranger - What's up with saying 6 passengers? Gimme a break! How about four adults and a couple of puppies.

Mule - Nix the bed length change. This whole feature gets in the way of adding a bedlift if desired. Do people really use this feature or just show it off?
How about adding a hardtop as standard and do away with this feature?

Mule - Needs 4-wheel disc brakes more than power steering.

Mule - 2" more ground clearance would be terrific.

Polaris - 40 hp? 44 mph? Where do you use this speed and power? It seems to me that when I'm going 25 mph with a load of people, I'm usually on a road and not going across a bumpy pasture. Less hp should give better gas mileage and make that 9-gallon tank last a lot longer. Give a kid a Ranger that goes 44 mph and soon he'll do something stupid. Of course, he'll do it at 25 mph too, but hopefully he and the vehicle will live.

I like the Polaris in this comparison, but mainly because of its efi, disc brakes, ground clearance, better seats, better instrumentation, and more power. I just don't think it needs as much power as it is has and surely don't think it needs all this speed.

I know that in Texas the Mule was classified as a farm exempt vehicle and we paid no sales tax. Can you do that with an over-25 mph Ranger? Not sure....

My vote goes to the Ranger, but the cost of either makes me swallow really hard.:rolleyes:

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #8  
Mule and Ranger - What's up with saying 6 passengers? Gimme a break! How about four adults and a couple of puppies.
------------
2 adults and a kid per seat maybe? It certainly is wider than the gator or mule, etc.

Mule - Nix the bed length change. This whole feature gets in the way of adding a bedlift if desired. Do people really use this feature or just show it off?
--------

It is kinda of a neat feature if you don't want some a long wheelbase and don't need to haul extra people and cargo at the same time.

The Polaris Crew is one wide and long SOB.

How about adding a hardtop as standard and do away with this feature?
-----

You can get a roof I believe.

Mule - Needs 4-wheel disc brakes more than power steering.
---
Brake for sure.

Power steering came this year 08.

Mule - 2" more ground clearance would be terrific.
-----
Never seems to be enough, but it sure sits low.

Polaris - 40 hp? 44 mph? Where do you use this speed and power? It seems to me that when I'm going 25 mph with a load of people, I'm usually on a road and not going across a bumpy pasture. Less hp should give better gas mileage and make that 9-gallon tank last a lot longer. Give a kid a Ranger that goes 44 mph and soon he'll do something stupid. Of course, he'll do it at 25 mph too, but hopefully he and the vehicle will live.
------

I think the 40hp and 44mph is more marketing than anything else. People want the biggest and fastest. I wonder how it is on fuel. My kids won't be driving it 44mph - I will have to lock it into low or something.

I like the Polaris in this comparison, but mainly because of its efi, disc brakes, ground clearance, better seats, better instrumentation, and more power. I just don't think it needs as much power as it is has and surely don't think it needs all this speed.
----------

I think I need one. :) Would like a better price. They are so hard to get right now, I suspect no discounting will be happening.

D.

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #9  
D.

I agree, but it is difficult not to sell me on more power. No, I cannot think of many situations where the high top speed is all that helpful, but I know the extra horses would really help on the steeps, etc., even with slower speeds. I am looking at a new Ranger for my father. I would like to get him a Gator, but in gasolined powered machines--which I am sure my father would want--I think it is tough to beat the Ranger. I am still not excited about some of their finish work-- but it has gotten better-- especially since JD, Kubota, Kawasaki and others have legitimate, well-made competitors for the Ranger now. As for the power steering, as soon as I can get down there I am going to have a Power Steering kit put on my Gator. I am sure one could get a similar setup for the Ranger also. Unloaded, with stock tires and at speed, the PS is really not a necessity but it would really enhance both ease of use and manuverability when going slow, using a front plow or heavy front attachment, or if one--like me--runs larger aftermarket wheels and tires. By the way, why ARE the Bobcat machines so expensive?? I looked at them once and really thought they were sharp, but by the time one figured in the price of the attachments, etc., one could almost buy a tractor--which is what I did instead.

John M

/ 08 Polaris Crewcab vs. Kaw 3010 Trans Mule #10  
jcmseven said:
D.

I agree, but it is difficult not to sell me on more power.
----

No argument here.

No, I cannot think of many situations where the high top speed is all that helpful, but I know the extra horses would really help on the steeps, etc., even with slower speeds.
----

Like I said - marketing. What people want and need don't always correspond.

I am looking at a new Ranger for my father. I would like to get him a Gator, but in gasolined powered machines--which I am sure my father would want--I think it is tough to beat the Ranger. I am still not excited about some of their finish work-- but it has gotten better-- especially since JD, Kubota, Kawasaki and others have legitimate, well-made competitors for the Ranger now.
-----

What is he going to do with it?

All around ranch work - hard to beat the gator. Check out the bed height. I have not measured it, but the height sure seems higher on the Ranger.

As for the power steering, as soon as I can get down there I am going to have a Power Steering kit put on my Gator. I am sure one could get a similar setup for the Ranger also.
-=---

Which Gator do you have?

Unloaded, with stock tires and at speed, the PS is really not a necessity but it would really enhance both ease of use and manuverability when going slow, using a front plow or heavy front attachment, or if one--like me--runs larger aftermarket wheels and tires.
----

What do you do with your Gator?

By the way, why ARE the Bobcat machines so expensive?? I looked at them once and really thought they were sharp, but by the time one figured in the price of the attachments, etc., one could almost buy a tractor--which is what I did instead.
-------

I guess they are expensive because they can be...dunno.

D.