1/2 mile of fence

/ 1/2 mile of fence
Nice job - fencing is always "hard yakka"
Interesting way you've braced the strainers/corners & run the wire rathet tensioners.

This is something that I decided to try acouple of years ago and it has worked really well. In the past I have used the 4ga galvanized wire & twisted it with a stick to tighten the corners and over time it always seems to loosen or break. Since I have been using the high tensile wire for the braces I haven't had any problems with breaking & it is easy to tighten if it gets loose. Since I have been using the ratchet tensioners & high tensile wire I have not had to go back & tighten a corner more than once.

/ 1/2 mile of fence
Very nice. I really like how bulked up your corners are!!!

Eddie

The corners are old light poles that were taken down during the ice storm about 3 years ago. There were lots of broken poles in this area & the electric companies gave them away to get rid of them. All of the wooden psots are set a minimum of 4' deep. The ones along the deeper part of the drainage ditch are set 5.5' deep. This floods sometimes in the fall & usually in the spring so I wanted the post deep enough that they weren't going to be push ober from the moving water.

/ 1/2 mile of fence #13  
Thanks for the pictures

/ 1/2 mile of fence #14  
No rocks. This is bottom land. In some places after you get down about 5' there is a lot of small pea gravel. The largest is probably about 1-1.5"

Good job neighbor, looks great. If you need some rocks come to my place and take all you want.

/ 1/2 mile of fence
Good job neighbor, looks great. If you need some rocks come to my place and take all you want.

Thanks for the offer but I believe I'll pass on the rocks. The ridge land that I have has lots of rocks on it & some of them are too big to fit in the bed of a pickup.

/ 1/2 mile of fence #16  
This is something that I decided to try acouple of years ago and it has worked really well. In the past I have used the 4ga galvanized wire & twisted it with a stick to tighten the corners and over time it always seems to loosen or break. Since I have been using the high tensile wire for the braces I haven't had any problems with breaking & it is easy to tighten if it gets loose. Since I have been using the ratchet tensioners & high tensile wire I have not had to go back & tighten a corner more than once.

I use hi ten and strainers on my braces too, although a little different set up. IMO that is the best way to go. With posts that big and that far in the ground I doubt you need them though. I tend to over build fence myself. Do it once and be done with it! :thumbsup:

It looks really good. How did you set those monster posts?

/ 1/2 mile of fence
I use hi ten and strainers on my braces too, although a little different set up. IMO that is the best way to go. With posts that big and that far in the ground I doubt you need them though. I tend to over build fence myself. Do it once and be done with it! :thumbsup:

It looks really good. How did you set those monster posts?

I started out with a PHD on my tractor & it was taking forwever to dig a hole. It has been really dry here this summer & the ground was so hard that it would take 45+ minutes per hole. I ended up buying a hyd. PHD with a 12" auger for my skidsteer from an equipment rental place & that went really quick. It only took about 2-3 minutes per hole. Since some of the posts are 16" in diameter I had to rent an 18" auger to dig some of the corner post holes. It was $30 to rent the auger for the weekend so that wasn't too bad.

Hopefully this will be a one time build for this field.

How do you build your corners?

/ 1/2 mile of fence #18  
I haven't seen a new barb wire fence in a long time, maybe ever? We use field fence here or high tensile with a charger. I never did any cows tho, just horses and goats.

/ 1/2 mile of fence #19  
Oh man the hydro auger is the way to do it! I'll have to get pictures of my corners and braces tomorrow. I build all hi ten fence for myself.