1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor?

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #171  
No matter the brand you buy I would only recommend that you evaluate your property as to what you can get away with as far as size and weight when it is wet. My property goes through mud season generally every late winter and spring. I might have gone too big on my newest tractor at 55hp and nearly 9k lbs. It might be better to go a little bigger and never need it opposed to not having enough tractor for what you are doing all the time.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #172  
I 100% agree with that advice. Sap season in central Maine overlaps mud season by a fair margin and an overly large or heavy machine is counter productive. I seldom use my tractor for sap collection for this reason. An atv on tracks would be fantastic but isn't in the cards for me so when I run out of good snow pack for the snowmobile I just haul buckets by hand to where I can get my tractor. With the projects the OP lists I think the tractor is the better tool even if it isn't perfect for getting to all the trees.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #173  
Run your sugar shack traditionally, using firewood. Do not think for a moment of sugaring-off in your kitchen. You will regret the way that condensed steam will wreck your ceilings and walls. Similar thoughts apply to lobsters, but not as much, because you only boil 'em for a short while. Ask locally for ideas on managing the sugarbush. Find some Really Old Guys. Maine's full of 'em. "Had the lobstah inspectah ovah ta dinnah, sehved him a chowdah made with nuthin but shawhhts."

Oh, and the tractor? Sure you'll learn a lot. You'll get additional ones and more land, too.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #174  
I 100% agree with that advice. Sap season in central Maine overlaps mud season by a fair margin and an overly large or heavy machine is counter productive. I seldom use my tractor for sap collection for this reason. An atv on tracks would be fantastic but isn't in the cards for me so when I run out of good snow pack for the snowmobile I just haul buckets by hand to where I can get my tractor. With the projects the OP lists I think the tractor is the better tool even if it isn't perfect for getting to all the trees.
For hauling during mud season a pair of horses may be better than a tractor. But you can't possibly keep horses on a couple of acres. Buy more land! Get logging horses. They'll already know the job.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #175  
I'm in Charlton, NY on 5.5 acres and have a maple syrup operation. 100 taps all on buckets. My stone "road" that goes around the perimiter of the property goes from snow to sheer ice to mud then back to snow then ice then mud, rinse and repeat, during suagring season. I use my little Kubota BX2200 with turf tires for collecting sap. I recently purchased a Kioti CK2610 with R14 tires but I dont think I'll use it for sap collection, it would do a number on the road. Other than that though, I love the Kioti!

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #176  
For hauling during mud season a pair of horses may be better than a tractor. But you can't possibly keep horses on a couple of acres. Buy more land! Get logging horses. They'll already know the job.
I'm blessed to own 40 acres but I'll have a harder time affording the taxes and mortgage if I start feeding hayburners on top of everything and everybody else around here! My feet work fine. If I'm tired, I'll haul buckets that are only half full or drag them in a jet sled with a rope. I think the OP can probably consolidate some lines to a few collection points and make things work just with whatever equipment is available.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #177  

Massey Ferguson 1532​

Massey Ferguson 1532 tractor photo
2007 - 2014
Model year 2007-20102011-2014
1500 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Iseki built
Massey Ferguson 1532 Weight
Shipping:2590 lbs
1174 kg

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #178  

Massey Ferguson 1532​

Massey Ferguson 1532 tractor photo
2007 - 2014
Model year 2007-20102011-2014
1500 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Iseki built
Massey Ferguson 1532 Weight
Shipping:2590 lbs
1174 kg
I'm not sure I understand your reply.

/ 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #179  
If your tractor is too heavy for the OP to use during sap/mud season but you do not inform the OP of your tractor's weight, your post is of limited value to the OP.

Last edited:
   / 1.5 acres. Am I nuts for thinking about a tractor? #180  
If your say your tractor is too heavy for the OP to use in mud season but do not inform the OP of your tractor's weight, what value is your post to the OP?
I see your point. Judgement is going to have to come in to play given all the variables such as the nature of the ground, the tires, weather they are weighted or not, slope, the user/landowner's willingness to rut the ground or not. In my scenario, with no graveled access roads to all my trees, any tractor large enough to move sap in the combination of frozen/unfrozen ground and snow and ice would be heavy enough to make a mess and possibly do root damage. I guess my advise is to build improved access roads or don't plan on a tractor being the best tool for moving sap. That aside, I'd buy the tractor since the OP has a lot of vegetation maintenance and hardscaping to do. I'd also recommend a tractor of similar physical size and weight to my own but probably at 24hp to avoid the EPA regs and all the frustrations/complications that go along with them. I think most of the big brands have such offerings. The Massey 1526 isn't a bad machine but its a bit smaller then the others (so far as I know) and there are limited options for Massey dealerships in our area so I'd get real comfortable with that before I pulled the trigger on one again.