1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise?

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #11  
Don't buy some homeowner POS from a big box. Cub Cadet is a stinkin' MTD with different paint.
I suggest you watch Craigslist under Lawn and garden section daily:
craigslist: kansas city, MO classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Find yourself a Scag, Ferris or some other professional grade piece of machinery used from a distressed landscaper. In these times, plenty of people are cutting out their landscaper and you should be able to nail something professional for the price of a new homeowner unit. If all you are going to do is cut go with a zero-turn unit of your preference. Zero turn really speeds up the job!

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #12  
Don't waste your money on cheaply made machines. Find yourself a good used JD 400 series GT: 455, 445, 425, 420. It'll be the best $2500 - $3500 you'll ever spend and you won't ever need to buy another mower. Drive one and you'll know why they are worth it. Or even a 318 if in excellent condition. Or a good used Kubota, Gravely, or Simplicity of similar quality level.

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #13  
On a used landscaping contractor unit, get it checked out before you buy. Generally they will get rid of their least reliable or oldest units first, unless they are completely liquidating or having to sell to pay off loans.

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #14  
2 of my neighbors bought ztr's 3 years ago. One was a Cub from Tractor Supply for $4000. The other was a Farris for $5,500. I am continually welding the cub back together. It has a B/S motor that has done fine but the deck/chassis is junk. Also had some electrical problems with safety items like seat switch.

The Farris has had zero issues and still looks new. It has a Kaw engine and runs like a scared dog.

End result each mow 2.5 acres and the Cub will not make it 2 more years and the Farris will be around in 20 years.

Chris

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #15  
I agree. When i first bought this homestead - All I had was a self propelled push mower from my previous house. I was looking around and nothing seemed to fit my budget so i got a cheapo mower and the engine blew. I replaced the engine with a used one and that blew when I was away on business trip (told my wife not to mow but she did anyway). From that point I was thinking time was never better to buy something newer and better. I looked around and bought the BX24 since it got toys - oops i mean tools that i needed. When I removed the BH and the FEL and looked at the tractor, It looked like a really nice lawn tractor. The BX is probably a overkill for you, but if you got to a kubota dealer, I think you will find the simplicity of the controls is a big plus, they stand behind their products. You mentioned the attachments novelty has worn off - I think your interest could be renewed with the kubota since their attachments are much more durable,useful then the cheesy cheapos tractors. the T,G,GR,Z series is a good starting point for a one acre owner. If you went the the next line up in the b series, perhaps the bx with FEL only would do. I find more uses for the FEL then I do with the wheelbarrow. :D happy hunting.

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #16  
Well,yeah if he doesn't have a tractor,but very expensive.[me,I got a tractor].

Why don't I want a zero turn,well just never used one,heard they wasn't good on hills,etc. Plus,a cheaper one of those for sure wouldn't be the way to go,[in my opinion].

Cheaper lawn tractor types,I agree as I've said,but my three wasn't the cheaper ones,they were next models up.

Used,no way for me anyways,only way I'd buy used is if I knew the owner.Just too many risks,want one that will mow grass the first day,not after I spend 2 days working on it,etc.

Yeah,thought them cubs were made by mtd,that wouldn't by itself put it out of running for me,but add to the fact that I've heard bad things about that kohler courage motor,guess it does.

Is husky made by mtd also??

And than there is the snapper. So now I got two on list,snapper and husky.

Snapper has a 22 hp b/s intek....husky has a 27 hp b/s endurance.

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #17  
If you buy the right kind of used equipment, it will most likely be as reliable as a new one. Buy a machine that today would cost you $10K plus new, but might go for as little as $2500 used, and most likely you won't have to work on it. Plenty of very very good reliable, well cared for used equipment out there. Just gotta shop around and know what you are looking at.

Look for a well kept JD455 with less than 1500 hours. It will last forever. I have the JD425. Almost 15 years old. Spent $75 in repairs. Never even had to change the mower belt. Wouldn't sell it. Love it way too much. One of the best GTs ever made.

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #19  
If you are mowing an acre, and don't need a tractor for other jobs, go with a ZTR. Almost any commercial grade will be a joy. I see Scag and Exmark a lot, and own a Country Clipper residential. I love the joy stick, so if I was to go bigger, I'd like a Country Clipper Charger, or Boss. Exmark is coming out with a brand new design this year, and I think it would be worth a look, although for 1 acre it's probably too big. The idea of a good useed machine is great, if you just take your time. Keep us posted, Brian

/ 1 acre lawn tractor/mower/ztr buying advise? #20  
John,think I'll get the snapper model LT200,with 22hp b/s intek and 50 inch deck.Cost dealer told me was 3,050 that includes taxes and delivery.They work on them to there nice people to deal with,they also sell echo stuff,thats how I got to know them,echo is a pretty good product.

Wish I knew more about that motor,but.

The cub I ruled out cause of motor and same company that makes them makes the new troy bult,which ain't much.

The husky,might still be a good one but,the company that makes it I was told,makes sears ones too,so if thats the case,might as well went and bought another craftsman.

I was leaning to the snapper all along,but thought I'd do a little asking and looking and 3,500 and under[including taxes],is what I've come up with.

Now if you wanted to spend more,would look at deeres, kubota,simplicity.